Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Our only wolf sighting, North Coast Trail, Vancouver Island
Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2019 at 02:26 PM
Our only wolf sighting, North Coast Trail, Vancouver Island

Here is a short video of a wolf on the beach, Nissan Bight, in Cape Scott Park on Vancouver Island.

We, my daughter and I, were hiking the North Coast trail and we were walking on Nissan Bight in the middle of the day when this wolf comes trotting down the beach towards us.

We had just left some other hikers a few minutes prior that were finishing up their trip and they said they had not seen hardly any wildlife, which is crazy if you spend any time there.

The wolf was heading the same way the hikers were and at the end of the beach the trail, and the hikers, went left into the woods while the wolf went right towards the point and into the forest.

[Edited on 2-26-2019 by Fatboy]
blackwolfmt
Senior Nomad

Mood: dreamin of Riden out a hurricane in Baja

[*] posted on 2-26-2019 at 02:35 PM

Very Cool:coolup:

So understand dont waste your time always searching for those wasted years
face up and make your stand and realize that your living in the golden years
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 2-26-2019 at 06:35 PM

Very nice!

I've only seen two wolves in the wild. One in Yellowstone in the winter, and one between Banff and the US/Canada border. Incredible experiences.
Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2019 at 07:11 PM

Thanks Folks, I was surprised at the size of it. Much larger then I expected.

That fact that it passed within 40 or 50 feet of our setup camp was also a little shocking

We were going to be sleeping in that nylon wrapper for the next week and wolves and bears (a bear walked passed an previous camp site even closer the day before) and they had no problem being right next to them.
freediverbrian
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2019 at 08:28 PM

Nice!! on my bucket list
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2019 at 12:03 PM

Really really cool. Seems as if the wolf wasn't concerned about you guys sharing the beach.

BeemerDan
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2019 at 09:28 PM

Look up Sea Wolves, They basically use the coastal range from Vancouver island north up thru SE Alaska, Salmon, Mussels, Clams are the main diet.
You had special encounter.
Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2019 at 01:12 AM

Quote: Originally posted by StuckSucks  
Really really cool. Seems as if the wolf wasn't concerned about you guys sharing the beach.

I made the comment in the video he/she seemed more concerned with the seagulls!
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2019 at 06:36 AM

my first thought upon seeing a wolf (raccoon, skunk, coyote ect) walking toward people, especially in daylight, is rabies.

[Edited on 2-28-2019 by pacificobob]
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2019 at 01:15 PM

That would probably be my first thoughts too. Pretty special to see one as they did.
Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2019 at 01:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
my first thought upon seeing a wolf (raccoon, skunk, coyote ect) walking toward people, especially in daylight, is rabies.

His 'attitude' seemed a little too relaxed and he appeared to travel as far away as possible given the confines of the ocean.

It appears that wild animals react to people differently based on hunting pressure.

Raccoons and skunks are major sources of rabies but again their response to people also depends on their level of harassment by humans,and if they appear focused on me or appear aggressive it is time to take some protective action.

I have had raccoons try to steal food from me from 5 feet away while hiking the Olympic Coast in Washington. Of course they are used to hikers being sources of food.

The bears on Vancouver Island also seemed unconcerned around people for the most part which is very unsettling when one is on the beach in front of you and it isn't moving off into the forest.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2019 at 04:54 PM

some animals will adapt to human contact and loose fear by repeated exposure. i lived in alaska 30 years and every time i saw a wolf (remarkably few times given the areas i hung out in) he was in a big hurry to be somewhere else. they seemed most comfortable when several miles away from us. bears and fox were quick to acclimate to human contact.

Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2019 at 07:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
some animals will adapt to human contact and loose fear .... and fox were quick to acclimate to human contact.

Foxes, huh?

I always considered them to be very wary of people. Then again scientist now believe humans domesticated foxes back in the bronze age.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2019 at 06:55 AM

this girl was a daily visitor and had a litter of kits nearby

fox.jpg - 121kB
Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2019 at 12:50 PM

That is neat!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.