Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Bola to San Borja & Hwy 1
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 3-19-2019 at 09:26 AM
Bola to San Borja & Hwy 1

Ok, here is stupid question #392. I travel solo in an old lady AWD SUV. I like to take somewhat safer side trips because I am an old lady in an old lady SUV... I am thinking of heading out to BoLA then driving back through Mision San Borja and continuing on the dirt road to Rosarito on Highway 1 (not Rosarito north of Ensenada).

Is there premium gas in BoLA? Is this dirt road safely passable in an AWD SUV with average (no lift) ground clearance?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-19-2019 at 09:50 AM

The road to San Borja from the L.A. Bay highway is the better of the two, but it does have a slow, rocky section a few miles north of the mission. The mission is off the main road to the left, as it curves west for Rosarito. That road is well signed, yet another Nomad missed it recently. It is 22 miles south of the L.A. Bay highway. Zero out your odometer when you leave the pavement to see how far you have traveled. After 20 miles begin looking for a major road to the left. The mission is less than a mile away.

The road from San Borja west to Rosarito, while well traveled, was rougher and slower but did not require 4WD. Always place your tires on the high parts of the road and don't drive over any tall rocks... put your tires on the tall rocks to avoid the tender parts under your engine from getting damaged. Is it a Subaru you are driving?

They did have Premium at the first station in L.A. Bay when I was there in 2017. However, regular (Magna) is 87 octane and better than the regular in California (no ethanol)!

The road between San Borja and Rosarito, 2 years ago:

[Edited on 3-19-2019 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2019 at 07:22 PM

There is still premium (as of 03/18/19) at the first station on the right as you enter town. However... the stations generally do not order refills until they run out so they may not have it at the exact time you might want it. Fill up as you enter town, not when you leave.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2019 at 02:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Nice one David. You're taking better images these days.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2019 at 06:32 AM

Thanks... It's location, location, location (I think)

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 3-20-2019 at 06:41 AM

Thank you all so much. David I drive a 2012 Acura MDX. So far she has been pretty good, I have taken her on many dirt roads - La Lobera, El Marmol, highway 5... from the pics looks doable for me. Thanks! Oh, and the Acura requires premium...I baby her because I have 100K miles and am shooting for 200K!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2019 at 07:16 AM

You are very welcome!
Premium is not available everywhere in Baja especially in the outreaches away from Hwy. 1. If you need 91 octane and only 87 is available, then pick up a couple bottles of octane booster. Most newer cars and trucks automatically retard the ignition to prevent pre-ignition (pinging) from too low octane fuel.

ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 3-20-2019 at 11:20 AM

In December those roads weren't bad at all.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2019 at 12:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Thanks... It's location, location, location (I think)

No. In this case it was light.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 3-21-2019 at 03:29 PM

Your Acura "prefers" premium
It does not "require" premium
All new cars have a computer that does many things, including match the gas octane to the tuning of the engine.
Running regular will likely give you a bit less mileage, and a bit less horsepower but will not damage the engine.
Doubt that you will be able to detect the difference.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.