Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5
Author: Subject: Closing the Border?
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 4-3-2019 at 12:28 AM

March 1, 2019, 1:33 AM PST

By Julia Ainsley

WASHINGTON — Undocumented immigrants are increasingly choosing to cross the U.S. border illegally rather than waiting in line to claim asylum at legal ports of entry, according to U.S. Customs and Border Protection data obtained by NBC News.

Immigration lawyers and rights advocates say asylum seekers are opting for illegal crossing because they are growing frustrated with waiting lines caused by Trump administration policies

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 4-3-2019 at 12:54 AM

IMMIGRATION

Published March 29, 2019

Last Update 5 days ago

Mexico braces for new caravan of Central American migrants

By Associated Press

Mexico is bracing for the possible arrival of the "mother of all caravans," even as doubts arise over whether the group of Central American migrants will be all that big.

Interior Secretary Olga Sanchez Cordero has said a caravan of migrants from El Salvador, Honduras and Guatemala could be forming.

"We have information that a new caravan is forming in Honduras, that they're calling 'the mother of all caravans,' and they are thinking it could have more than 20,000 people," Sanchez Cordero said Wednesday.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 4-3-2019 at 03:43 AM

Shutting down the Border ranks about the same as building a wall....Both DUMB ideas.....
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 4-3-2019 at 04:41 AM

Chuckie for President

" Shutting down the Border ranks about the same as building a wall....Both DUMB ideas"

paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2019 at 05:35 AM

From JJJ
"Paranewbi, I'm not sure where you going with your post above, but if I recall Trump, threatened to stop remittance from the US to Mexico, or somehow use some kind of remittance tax to get Mexico to pay for the wall during his 2018 Presidential campaign, but as usual Trump, didn't live up to any of his campaign promises regarding the big beautiful wall."

OK...so NOW we're holding politicians to political utterances?

"So now Trump, comes up with the dumbest idea of them all: he wants to close the border, and it's all mostly because he is having a temper tantrum. He also wants to feed red meat to his base."

Have a cup of coffee JJJ and relax a bit...then offer more than tea leaves and bloviating.

"Sure taking money from US coffers and giving to Latin American countries instead of spending it here in the US, sure doesn't help poor cities in the US, but you could say the same thing about the US giving $3 or $4 billion dollar Israel, which largely uses the money for military purposes."

Well, it seems if we want to support a nation in that part of the world, Israel would be the one best fit to our values (got a better choice?) And there's something to say about this tiny nation reappearing over and over again in history. But to compare Nations that are noted to be a place their own people flee to a nation that people flock to...

"What the Latin American countries get in aid, pales in comparison to what Israel gets, but I bet you won't complain about that Paranewbi?"

Again...Israel or Mexico/Central America? Hmmm...
By the way, 23 billion dollars was sent to Mexico families from US family members last year...a 10 percent tax would go a long way to building a nice wall. And that doesn't include monies sent to Central America.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2019 at 05:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by paranewbi  
23 billion dollars was sent to Mexico families from US family members last year...a 10 percent tax would go a long way to building a nice wall. And that doesn't include monies sent to Central America.

That may be against international conventions, an example of double taxation, as well as needing an act of Congress to "levy taxes."

Why pick on them? What about money sent to India? China? Luxembourg? Monte Carlo? Cayman Islands? Looks like a "slippery slope" to me.

John
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2019 at 07:46 AM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
I think it was only 70,000 votes over 3 states that tilted the Electoral College to President Trump. I really don't see a reason to change it, that's really not much to overcome for a Democrat presidential win in 2020. Finding a proper candidate may be the hard part.

Weren't there 10 million more Democrat votes versus Republican in 2018? Up from 3 million more in 2016? I know it was a substantial increase in voter participation, even for a midterm election.

John

[Edited on 4-3-2019 by John Harper]

I agree with John. The Electoral College shouldn't need to be done away with or changed. Our founding fathers were quite brilliant when they came up with it.

Nor should other avenues be changed or adopted such as lowering voting age and letting "illegals" vote, just to secure more votes. Clearly, the Democrats are desperate at this point. It's gonna get tougher too as voter rolls get cleaned up. No more dead people voting or people voting twice...(less corruption).
As John suggests, find the proper candidate and you might find success, but that might be hard.

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2019 at 07:55 AM

23 billion dollars was sent to Mexico families from US family members last year...a 10 percent tax would go a long way to building a nice wall. And that doesn't include monies sent to Central America.

That may be against international conventions, an example of double taxation, as well as needing an act of Congress to "levy taxes."

Why pick on them? What about money sent to India? China? Luxembourg? Monte Carlo? Cayman Islands? Looks like a "slippery slope" to me.

John

The same wall will keep them all from cutting in line ahead of those who go through the proper channels. Although it's obvious where the most are coming from makes your point mute.
There's no problem someone seeking asylum/whatever else; doing it the way the US provides...but once they touch US terra firma they have advantages others don't. How do you keep someone from trespassing? Your front door and/or Your fence, (or gun, whatever you protect your possessions with) and numerous locks, cams, dogs, etc ...a posted sign seems to never be enough.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2019 at 08:26 AM

Although it's obvious where the most are coming from makes your point moot.

I'm not sure I understand what issue you want to address. My comment referred to the inherent difficulties of taxing international money transfers.

John

JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 4-3-2019 at 10:33 AM

P wrote: OK...so NOW we're holding politicians to political utterances?

JJJ wrote: Yes Paranewbi, I expect politicians to live up to their word, especially with their signature campaign promise, which in Trump's case, was to build the wall, and make Mexico pay for it.

I'm surprised you take compulsive lying by Trump, as nothing more than political utterances.

P wrote: Have a cup of coffee JJJ and relax a bit...then offer more than tea leaves and bloviating.

JJJ wrote: I'm relaxed Paranewbi, because I don't believe a word from Trump, and I don't believe he has the balls to close the border, and have corporate America, tell the GOP, to rein Trump in.

It's you Paranewbi, and your ilk, who are dreaming Trump, shuts down the border, and keeps all the brown people from coming to America, and then getting upset when that doesn't happen.

P wrote: Well, it seems if we want to support a nation in that part of the world, Israel would be the one best fit to our values (got a better choice?) And there's something to say about this tiny nation reappearing over and over again in history. But to compare Nations that are noted to be a place their own people flee to a nation that people flock to...

JJJ wrote: What values does Israel share with the US?

Israel, is an apartheid state, and in recent years, it has turned hard right.

There current leader Netanyahu, see Israel, as a nation for Jews only and any Palestinians born in that country as non citizens with second class status.

Could imagine if the US President, said, America, is a Christian Nation, for Christians only, or White Christians only?

On second thought maybe you could imagine that.

Please don't get religious, with the God's people hints. That doesn't fly with me

And if your criticize Israel's polices, you're suddenly supposed to be anti-Semitic

P wrote: Again...Israel or Mexico/Central America? Hmmm...
By the way, 23 billion dollars was sent to Mexico families from US family members last year...a 10 percent tax would go a long way to building a nice wall. And that doesn't include monies sent to Central America.

JJJ wrote: the $23 million dollars doesn't belong to you Paranewbi or Trump, why would you like to tax immigrants twice?

I'm sorry, but Trump, will not tax remittance and it's an old story that never gained traction.

paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2019 at 02:43 PM

Although it's obvious where the most are coming from makes your point moot.

I'm not sure I understand what issue you want to address. My comment referred to the inherent difficulties of taxing international money transfers.

John

Yes John, your 'comment' was as you state. I accepted it as just such, an opinion, and noted the 'may' as a hint of uncertainty in your citation. It wasn't a question to be responded to though. I observed your comment and let it stand for what it was...your comment. We should all allow comments to be what they are, a comment/opinion rightfully stated.

Your question was concerning the taxation of a select group, i.e. Mexico and Central America, and not those listed, you were concerned with in your question.
The question is what provoked my response, not your comment. Your question did not challenge the act of the taxation, just the aspect of whom would be taxed and that is what I addressed.

I appreciate the chance to engage this subject with you as it is pleasant to have NOT been name-called, attributed derogatory innuendos, and assigned association with entities, as certain others seem to resort to.

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2019 at 03:37 PM

I appreciate the chance to engage this subject with you as it is pleasant to have NOT been name-called, attributed derogatory innuendos, and assigned association with entities, as certain others seem to resort to.

Thank you. I do try my best to understand other's perspectives and keep the conversation respectful. Not always successful, but I try.

As a HS teacher, I do my best to model respectful behavior for my students. I think we all know how much bullying, etc. goes on with social media today and our youth.

John

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-3-2019 at 03:48 PM

Good job you two! Thank you for being civil to each other.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2019 at 04:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Good job you two! Thank you for being civil to each other.

Group hug!

John

StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2019 at 04:46 PM

Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 4-3-2019 at 04:48 PM

It is said the migrants are getting impatient with the speed at which they are being processed and some are choosing to cross illegally so his orangness wants to close the border. So when he gives the order to close the border does some magic giant impenetrable fence appear and all the illegal crossing stops? Seems to me they are probably not walking across and thru entry points where everybody else comes thru legally but rather coming thru desolate places that are hard to guard against.

What is stopping commerce and tourism and people getting to their jobs on either side of the border going to do to stop the ones who are crossing illegally?

I’m not saying this is not a huge problem for both countries involved but stupid knee jerk reactions are only designed to feed the base and get them all riled up to secure votes in the future and ultimately, just make us look dumber every day. Or, to detract from the totally non exonerating Muller report but that is a different topic.

And no I don’t have the answer, this is way beyond me and most everybody here commenting but I am smart enough to know cooler heads need to prevail and some serious conversation needs to be had and back off all the stupid threats and posturing.

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 4-3-2019 at 04:58 PM

StuckSucks wins the Nomad post of the day and probably the week.

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
BajaBill74
Nomad

Mood: Beyond Extatic!

[*] posted on 4-3-2019 at 05:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  
StuckSucks wins the Nomad post of the day and probably the week.

X2

What I'm doing at work is so secret, even I don't know what I'm doing!

One should believe in God, because even Google doesn't know everything.
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.