Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: First time I've seen this type of product ---
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2019 at 09:47 AM
First time I've seen this type of product ---

I've never had a tire valve stem break, nor been on a trip where that happened to someone else.

This product might be something you put in your "Spares" box and never need.

But it is interesting, relatively inexpensive, and would sure come in handy in the right situation.

https://www.colbyvalve.com/

John M
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2019 at 10:31 AM

Interesting, I think you may have never seen a valve stem break is because most tire shop replace the valve stem when you get new tires. At least the places I buy tries do.
defrag4
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2019 at 10:42 AM

never broken a stem either, but seems like cheap insurance

Driving the PanAmerican Highway
https://www.facebook.com/homeonthehighway/
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-4-2019 at 10:46 AM

My Tacoma wheels have metal valve stems and they have the TPMS transmitters on them ($60 to replace when the battery dies after ~10 years). TPMS alerts your dashboard if a tire has lost significant air pressure... ie. going flat. Great warning as it has given me time to find a safe place to pull over and plug the hole before going totally flat.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2019 at 11:14 AM
Got those sensors also

It would seem that the sensor that is mounted somehow to the valve stem inside the wheel would come loose when you forced the broken portion of the valve stem back inside the tire.

The video I watched on the website doesn't address the TPMS equipped vehicles.

I emailed them to inquire about TPMS wheels. I'll post their reply.

John

[Edited on 4-4-2019 by John M]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-4-2019 at 11:29 AM

Thanks John! I am guessing this is for rubber stem, tubeless tires only? A neat idea, but all new vehicles have TPMS, at least the last 10 years now.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2019 at 11:39 AM

Valve stems break? That's possible but not probable. Driving 50 years and never saw or heard of one breaking. Total BS.

I use a TPMS on my RV. Shows the temp and air pressure of 6 tires on a portable monitor. Saves manually checking the tires every morning while on the road. I like the peace of mind.

New metal stems on my truck and RVs, rubber on the cars. No cause for alarm.

[/url]

https://www.minderresearch.com/tireminder-a1a-tire-pressure-...

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
defrag4
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2019 at 11:44 AM

What I have had happen and seen happen to others is the schrader valve itself coming loose and air escaping the right out of the valve, this is what I carry in my kit to tighten them back up

also comes in handy to air down quickly for some beach driving

Driving the PanAmerican Highway
https://www.facebook.com/homeonthehighway/
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 4-4-2019 at 01:19 PM

My experience has been rubber valve stems will deteriorate over time.....before they "break", unless they are torn by debris, etc....Keep an eye on them....tire shops won't always....

Don't believe everything you think....
Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2019 at 01:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  
Valve stems break? That's possible but not probable. Driving 50 years and never saw or heard of one breaking. Total BS./

I have broken metal valve stems at least twice while rockcrawling. I've seen broken stems on friends' 4x4s. I used to think that metal stems were stronger and the way to go. Now I run rubber stems. "FLexible" is a type of strength. Rubber stems bend like a palm tree in a hurricane, while a metal stem will snap off.

John M - thanks for posting up. Great device! A little too pricey for a spare part in my kit. An elegant solution though. It appears to fasten just like a concrete "wedge anchor".
While rockcrawling in Big Bear, I made a temporary trail fix by refilling the tire with air, then forcing a plug into the hole of the broken stem (easier than changing the tire in the boulder filled stream bed).
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2019 at 04:39 PM

There was a time when valve stems were a major issue the result was people who had them had to get replacements.
I think it was the metal stem that used a vulcanized rubber at the rim
Anyway I had them on a trailer and had to replace them along the way. The tire guy used the same ones and they failed again. Fortunately they fail with a slow leak. As soon as I got to San Felipe I had the tire guy replace them all with the plain rubber ones.
For off road use and no TPMS we avoid metal stems because they get broken off by sticks and rocks. Best choice is stubby rubber ones with little metal for the stem. As noted a very flexy stem is what you want.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2019 at 04:40 PM
Colby valve stem

Great find I will add a couple of them to my bag in the Jeep
== ===
Quote: Originally posted by John M  
I've never had a tire valve stem break, nor been on a trip where that happened to someone else.

This product might be something you put in your "Spares" box and never need.

But it is interesting, relatively inexpensive, and would sure come in handy in the right situation.

John M
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2019 at 07:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John M  

John M

''Your tire valves are probably your vehicle's weakest link. One hard impact and you're in a world of hurt. Don't take the risk. Be prepared with the best valves available: Colby Valves.''

Yeah it's your vehicle's weakest link if you're rock crawling. For the rest of us, valve stems do not break. Colby website is marketing this product as something the general public needs -- because their stem can break.

Not really.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 4-5-2019 at 01:57 AM

Seen lots of broken valve stems with my rock crawling friends. Metal are the worst. Not really a problem on mild 4 wheeling.Also had a horse tied to a trailer and he busted one off. That was a real rodeo.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2019 at 07:13 AM

Now days many aftermarket wheels come with a recessed valve stem. The thing sticks out just enough to make to be functional and when used with the rubber ones with very little metal extension then all is well.
People with late model TPMS Ignore this discussion or disable it or get proper wheels for offroad use.
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2019 at 10:21 AM
Follow up with Colby

I contacted Colby via email and asked about use of these in the event your wheel has a tpms attached to the inside of the valve stem.

The answer was yes, it will work. In forcing the broken piece of the valve stem inside of the tire/wheel, the tpms sensor will also drop inside of the wheel.

Remember this is considered an emergency fix - and Colby said that these are re-usable.

While the tpms that bounced around inside of a tire for fifty miles probably not reusable.

I suppose if you had the proper tools and spare valve stem you could fix it the old-fashioned way.

John M
basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2019 at 03:59 AM

I have had a valve stem fail on a trailer, likely just age. Looks like a good addition to the spare parts box. Thanks for the heads up!
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 4-6-2019 at 02:12 PM

We occasionally break one when rock-crawling!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.