BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Heading South Las Vegas to La Paz
targa88

[*] posted on 5-8-2019 at 09:33 AM
Heading South Las Vegas to La Paz

Since I am coming down through Las Vegas - leaving in the next 60 days or so.

There seems to be two alternatives:
Mexicali
5.5 hour drive from LV to MX border. 319 miles/513 kms
Making it to San Felipe would be a full day of driving. About 450 miles/700km.
San Felipe to San Ignacio about 336 miles/541km .
San Ignacio to La Paz 389 miles/627 km

Tecate
6 hour drive from LV to MX border. Maybe longer depending on traffic in CA
Las Vegas to Tecate is 373 miles/600km
Making it to El Rosario is 600 miles/ 950km = full day
El Rosario to San Ignacio 300 miles/500km

Ultimately the mileage is somewhat similar.
Distance travelled versus road conditions.
Recent reports of San Felipe South to Bahia de los Angeles - there is a stretch of 54 miles that took 3.5 hrs.

The border crossing(s): Mexicali West and Tecate appear to be equivalent.

Since I will be driving a reasonably equipped 4x4 and have done both sides before (a number of years ago) - local/recent intel would be appreciated.

Feel free to provide other recommendations for routes or stopping points/layovers and accommodations - much appreciated.

[Edited on 5-8-2019 by targa88]
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-8-2019 at 09:59 AM

I live in LA and take MX 5, 90% of the time. You have to drive 20 miles, give or take, in the dirt, but it is well graded.

The MX 1 is a mess South of Ensenada with all the stop and go through the little towns.

[Edited on 5-8-2019 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Estrella
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-8-2019 at 11:19 AM

We just drove home from Mulege taking HWY 5- beautiful- rough on parts of the unpaved section and pot holes in some of the paved stretches. Just keep alert. We were going to Los Algondones for dental stop over-imagine that?! So we took a cutoff before Mexicali that brought us through a beautiful area that reminded us of the San Joaquin Valley perhaps 30 years ago-spectacular-if you like lush farmland and small towns. No big town anything. The crossing at Los Algondones simple and quick.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2019 at 09:30 AM

What route did you take to Los Algondones and is the route to the border well marked when you get close?
queseyo

[*] posted on 5-11-2019 at 07:49 AM

"Recent reports of San Felipe South to Bahia de los Angeles - there is a stretch of 54 miles that took 3.5 hrs."

We just did Asuncion to SF in 8 hrs. Dirt road from Chapala to GB is down to 14.2 mi of pretty well-graded track, took 45 min. 1 grader working the bypass so it should get better, new pavement ready to open on the no end.
Road crews fixing pot holes from BOLA turn to Chapala.
Enjoy the ride!

"Just remember; we're all here because we're not all there." Unknown Nomad
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-11-2019 at 07:53 AM

Great road update, welcome to Nomad queseyo!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2019 at 09:19 AM

Hi Tom, Going North? To get to Algondones from Hwy5 we use hwy2 and find two well marked exits. The first one is undesirable because of the small towns making progress slow. The second exit only a few KM from San Luis is much better. It follows the big canal. The road is narrow and lumpy in places, but only has one stop sign.
Speed on the 4 lane Hwy 2 is 60+ and more like 50 on the recommended route.
Going South we go from I8 (forgot the exit #) then at the border go straight to the 2nd stop sign, then left, then right. At the three way stop go left and that will lead you to the preferred route along the canal.

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
What route did you take to Los Algondones and is the route to the border well marked when you get close?

[Edited on 5-11-2019 by PaulW]

[Edited on 5-11-2019 by PaulW]
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2019 at 10:01 AM

Thanks Paul.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2019 at 11:55 AM

queseyo is such a good name! wish I had thought of it myself!

Are you Argentine? I had a friend who said this all the time!

targa88 if your car is a targa, you may not be able to help out but anyone coming south, if you can drop off anything from the following list, I have 7 (seven) OMG seven new students heading out to college this August, not to mention the other 20 who are already studying...

1. anything at all from the kitchen-silverware bowls you name it
2. nice tennis shoes - mens or womens and any size
3. towels, the kids love bath and kitchen towels
4. hotel soaps and shampoos if you travel a lot!
5. lastly, used clothing but it must be in a suitcase or it will be confiscated. if there are only males in vehicle, then you can only bring men's clothing. same for women: only bring womens clothing. Full mixed gender vehicle? bring it on!

Now to get back on target - we did the ride from La Bocana/San Ignacio south to La Paz and it was a breeze! No roadwork at all. The road is in great condition. Sweet trip!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
queseyo

[*] posted on 5-11-2019 at 06:37 PM

Thanks DK, I've been lurking for years, why now I wonder?
Blanca, not Argentine.... but I heard it from someone who spent time there....I liked it from the first!?

"Just remember; we're all here because we're not all there." Unknown Nomad
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 5-14-2019 at 06:04 AM

I used to live in Las Vegas. We always crossed at San Ysidro, then continued on to El Rosario. Was a long but worth-while day. I don't think it was 5-1/2 hours to the border, but again it was a decade ago! Now I am in NorCal and it takes me three days to get to our destination, from Vegas only took two. However you choose, have fun, relax, enjoy the scenery.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.