I love Sponge Bob --- 3 (75%)

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Direct (Satellite) TV
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-20-2019 at 03:00 PM
Direct (Satellite) TV

Time to resurrect this old topic:

Word on the calle is that the best tv idea is to subscribe in the good ole US of A to Derect TV and then just bring the whole kit and caboodle with you and hook it up in Baja.
No muss no fuss.
Just pay the bill and watch Sponge Bob Square Pants happily ever after.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 5-20-2019 at 03:56 PM

DIRECTV....the only company that makes Comcast look good! My experience with the ATT/DIRECTV has been so miserable over the last few years that they would be my last choice in selecting a service!

If you sign up with them, it will cost more than you were quoted.
When (not if) you have problems with programing or billing, you will do a telephonic call center world tour trying to resolve the problem!
Problems are at least and annual event, if not more often!

Their customer service model seems designed to wear you down and hope you give up. I don't know what else is available where you are going, but I would do some more research before committing to ATT/DIRECTV!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-20-2019 at 04:07 PM

I know you are asking about satellite TV, so excuse my drifting off into cable, too:

I had Direct TV for a few years, but they couldn't just leave the price alone and raised it so much we went back to Cox Cable. Then, last September, we moved and now are in Spectrum cable (formerly Time-Warner) with special low rates as part of this senior citizen community with an HOA.

I really liked Direct TV... Cox wasn't too bad but they also kept raising rates so we had to make adjustments to keep the bill under $100. When you see new customers only pay half, you get the feeling they don't appreciate long-term customers.

Spectrum has all the channels we like but their DVR isn't quite as user-friendly, I think.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2019 at 04:33 PM

Assuming you have decent interent access, all of those are trash compared to YouTube TV. $50/month.

The program record capabilities and the ability to find shows quickly on any device is freaking awesome - 3x better than antiquated Cable and Satellite systems based on 30 year old tech.

To run it down in MX get a VPN. If you don't have good interent access, use Directv. I had it at my house in San Carlos, Sonora for about 6 years. Worked as if you were in the US. My main account was at my California house. These days Directv has a main box and the other ones in different rooms connect via WiFi. You'll need one of the main boxes in MX that directly connects to the dish.

[Edited on 5-21-2019 by JZ]

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 5-20-2019 at 05:13 PM

depends how reliable your internet connection is.....mine goes down weekly, directv never fails me (except in a power outage) find a friend norte that will provide a receiver, split the cost and if you also have an off grid casa just cart it with you;)
BajaParrothead
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2019 at 05:31 PM

What size dish would it take to receive my US based DTV account in the East Cape region?
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2019 at 06:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaParrothead  
What size dish would it take to receive my US based DTV account in the East Cape region?

Same size dish. The satellites don't move (geosynchronous) and are generally over the equator, so you'll still point the dish to the south toward whatever satellite is within best line of reception.

John
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 5-20-2019 at 06:19 PM

you could try a 1.8 meter dish but pretty sure the east cape is out of the footprint:(
BajaParrothead
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2019 at 06:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  

Same size dish. The satellites don't move (geosynchronous) and are generally over the equator, so you'll still point the dish to the south toward whatever satellite is within best line of reception.

John

Thanks John. Somewhere I had read that I would need a 1.5 meter dish for that location, but I can't find anything like that NOB. Thanks for the info, that'll simplify the issue.
Greg
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2019 at 06:20 PM

Turn off your tv and grab a book....maybe learn something new

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-20-2019 at 07:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  
Turn off your tv and grab a book....maybe learn something new

Funny thing is that the tv isn't hooked up at my house... I didn't miss it much.
But I am known for watching every boring british documentory I can find.
I learn lots of stuff:coolup:

And Sponge Bob...

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-20-2019 at 08:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Assuming you have decent interent access, all of those are trash compared to YouTube TV. $50/month.

The program record capabilities and the ability to find shows quickly on any device is freaking awesome - 3x better than antiquated Cable and Satellite systems based on 30 year old tech.

To run it down in MX get a VPN. If you don't have good interent access, use Directv. I had it at my house in San Carlos, Sonora for about 6 years. Worked as if you were in the US. My main account was at my California house. These days Directv has a main box and the other ones in different rooms connect via WiFi. You'll need one of the main boxes in MX that directly connects to the dish.

[Edited on 5-21-2019 by JZ]

Direct sounds the best for me. I can get before I go back in a few weeks.
Maybe I can test it at my storage unit. That's where I'm hanging out until I go.
Sleeping at a friends... I'll borrow this address...:cool:

Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 5-20-2019 at 08:15 PM

I've been a learn'n from TV ever since Soupy Sales taught me how a women is like a frying pan ......

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2019 at 01:05 PM

DirecTV is apparently dropping support for the standard definition boxes/dishes and trying to move everyone to high definition and their new satellites, so if you get a setup, make sure it's HD. I have DirecTV down south and it works fine in all kinds of conditions. My Exede/Viasat satellite internet connection is not quite as reliable. Note that any lengthy nonuse of the box will require you to refresh it on the DTV website, which is easy if you have an internet connection. No way my satellite internet could handle the bandwidth to stream live TV on any sort of regular basis (and they don't allow VPNs). I'd be FAP'd for sure and I can't take that risk when I need the internet for work. With DTV and the Sunday Ticket add-on I get virtually every NFL game, which is important (gotta have football to go with those Pacificos). However, I get no Dodger games unless it's an ESPN game of the week or they're playing the Padres and it's not blacked out on the local San Diego channels. Thanks, Dodgers and Spectrum for your exclusive deal that is making you richer and shutting out many of your loyal fans. :fire::fire::fire:

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.