BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: The insurance question?
ZipLine
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2019 at 05:10 PM

I use a broker I believe will come through for me in a pinch. When I need help, I need help. I don't care where they come from.

I do plenty of business with local businesses and have no guilt about considering skilled brokers regardless of their nationality. Mine happens to be Mexican, but that had nothing to do with why I chose her.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 6-21-2019 at 06:02 PM
That is a very long list

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
what other MEXICAN products do you buy from an american? support our local businesses, use a mexican broker! :light:

I buy my Modelos from the Modesto Costco
Bought my F150 (hecho en Mexico) from the Oakdale Ford dealer
Buy my Herdez Salsa Verde from Raleys here in town..

the list goes on, and on, and on.....

And yes, I very much appreciate working with Bajabound,
For many reasons including
Very good service
Very responsive to inquiries (never had a claim/knock on wood)
Support Nomad

and that list goes on for a bit.....
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2019 at 08:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  
Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
what other MEXICAN products do you buy from an american? support our local businesses, use a mexican broker! :light:

I buy my Modelos from the Modesto Costco
Bought my F150 (hecho en Mexico) from the Oakdale Ford dealer
Buy my Herdez Salsa Verde from Raleys here in town..

the list goes on, and on, and on.....

And yes, I very much appreciate working with Bajabound,
For many reasons including
Very good service
Very responsive to inquiries (never had a claim/knock on wood)
Support Nomad

and that list goes on for a bit.....

well thats great but my question was directed at fishbuck who I believe is a san quintin resident now, he is asking for an opinion on insurance and as a full timer I suggest using a local broker. thats my opinion...thats all.;)
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 6-24-2019 at 06:18 PM

So here is a spin on the insurance thing that maybe needs to be another thread but its pretty simple.

Long story short, I'll be there full time endish of July.
Going to start the immigration thing soon.
Talked to my US insurer today, USAA and if the car is not here
6 months or more a year, they won't write the policy even tho
it is basically free money for them.
I have a business entity in Montana and think I can register the truck there.

Question is, to keep the rego legit with insurance here, satisfy the Mexican ins
policy requirement to have a US policy and to come back here every now and then,
what US company would write a bare bones policy and doesn't care the truck is hardly
ever in the US? I will have some US address but hope to get everything out of Cali for
obvious reasons.

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
solosancarlos
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2019 at 07:48 PM

SD reg
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 6-24-2019 at 07:54 PM

I ended up visiting Bajabound in San Diego.
Super nice people.
Got the annual.

[Edited on 6-25-2019 by fishbuck]

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

Bajazly
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2019 at 08:04 PM

Yeah no, I got the Mexican insurance covered, I need the US insurance to validate the Mexican policy. My US company won't write the policy if I am living down there so I need to switch insurers here, in the US.

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 6-25-2019 at 12:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  
Yeah no, I got the Mexican insurance covered, I need the US insurance to validate the Mexican policy. My US company won't write the policy if I am living down there so I need to switch insurers here, in the US.

What many of us retirees do is get Hartford Insurance through AARP. We then suspend the US coverage when we go south for six months and they rebate the balance for those months. We have been doing it this way for several years. We reactivate by phone or website when we return. Most ins. co. wont do this but Hartford does. Nice, big company, of course.

My wife generally does this, but I think you must get full coverage in the States to do this suspension thing.

There are other ways, too. Some people I know use an insurance company in Texas that has GRINGO in the title. Cant remember what it is. Do a search.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 6-25-2019 at 01:31 PM

I am a snow bird, and I have vehicles in Alaska, and California. When I fly south, I place the Anchorage vehicles on comprehensive coverage only, which keeps the policy active, but at a fraction of the cost.

At the same time, I re-activate the liability coverage on the CA vehicles, and that has worked well for me so far. I carry liability only, so I don't know how that would affect collision coverage through a Mexican company!

I am sure that all insurance companies have different policies, and I have found that the even with same company you may have significant differences in different states, so it would be better to ask them for cost details, not me!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2019 at 01:38 PM

Mine just had the requirement that the truck be here at least 6 months of the year and if they found out it wasn't, they could and would deny a claim. Cancelling insurance is a sure way to have the DMV cancel you rego. Maybe different companies have different requirements for where the truck is most of the time but mine will be in Baja 95% of the year.

It's my understanding to have the Mexican policy valid one must have an active US policy. Talking to Bajabound yesterday, that seems to be the case.

Harald Pietschmann

Bajazly, August 2019
karenintx
Senior Nomad

Mood: Living The Dream

[*] posted on 6-25-2019 at 03:59 PM

We had been USAA members for 45+ years and they are the best! That said, here is our story.

In April 2008 we brought our SUV to Cabo San Lucas. The first insurance police we did what "people" were saying...you have to have an US auto insurance policy for your Mexican auto Insurance to be valid. Neither of us are ones to go on "they say" information. We tend to ask questions by going to the source. We were lucky to have met a businessman that owns several tourist boats...snorkeling, sunset, whale watching etc. He has been in this area for 40+ years, he has dual citizenship, is bi-lingual and gives straight answers. We asked the name of his insurance company and was he happy with their customer service and their claims department. We then went to their office, we were greeting in English then an other person came out to talk with us. We explained to him that we had been told we needed to keep an US auto insurance policy in order for our Mexican car insurance to be valid. He told us...this is not true.

We have had our Mexican car insurance with this company since 2009. Our policy shows a US South Dakota plated vehicle that has full coverage...liability ($500,000) medical ($15,000 per person up to $75,000 total payout) theft ($1,000 deductible) Physical Damage ($500 deductible) along with legal and travel coverage. They also have bi-lingual phone customer service agents and bi-lingual field agents.

In a previous life I was an high-risk auto insurance underwriter so I know that an insurance company is only had good as their claim service. So one day about three years ago we had a fender bender...the hubby's fault. We got the policy out of the glove compartment and called "the number". Long story short, our Mexican auto insurance covered everything. We were fortunate that no one was injured, just the hubby's ego...and again, we did not have an US auto insurance policy only Mexican auto insurance.

I have read on this website..."you have to have a FMM, RT or a RP and they will ask you for that". We were never asked by the policeman, the insurance field agent or anyone about our immigration statues. The only thing we were asked for was our "insurance and registration".

I can not speak or give advise on other insurance companies, maybe their underwriting rules require US auto insurance coverage. I do agree with Willardeguy...find a Mexican insurance company that does not have this underwriting rule. Do like Hook said...for the times you need to go NOB and like someone said...get South Dakota plates, it is so easy.

I am not looking for opinions or advise...just sharing some facts on the subject.

Our policy is written by ABA auto Seguro.
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2019 at 06:33 PM

Well, that is promising. I just re uped my annual Mexican policy and I'm sure I can skate under the radar until I need to do it again. My rego is due Jan 1 so that gives me some time to figure out how to register the truck.

Harald Pietschmann

Bajazly, August 2019
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2019 at 06:36 PM

A few yrs. back, on one or both of the popular San Diego
Mex Ins. brokers, if filling out their online application, one
did not indicate they had full coverage in the US, it would
kick it over to liability only, not the case now. The squabble
over Immigration status stems from on Mex Ins policies it
most always states 'one has to be in Mex legally'. Never
appears to have ever been enforced. Not suggesting one's
policy would be invalid, never heard nor read it has.
Me, I'm not one to
trust Ins Co's, US or Mex. Not saying it has ever happened, but
having a Mex Cop ask for Immigration papers, not having
anything to show, may give him full mordida leverage.
Glad ABA was responsive

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.