Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Motorcycle storage or new radiador - Kawasaki KLR650
Klr650Radiator

[*] posted on 6-24-2019 at 11:10 AM
Motorcycle storage or new radiador - Kawasaki KLR650

Hello,

I am stuck in Los Cabos after riding from Canada on my Kawasaki KLR 650. The radiator died and have been waiting for a new one for ten days. It still isn't here and I need to start planning for worst case scenario. Does anyone know where I could store a motorcycle long term? Failing that does anyone have a kLR650 radiator they are willing to sell?

Thanks in advance
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 6-24-2019 at 11:21 AM

Is your bike in parts, or can you drive it a few miles? There is a storage facility out by the airport that may work out for you if you can get it there.

I don't have any info regarding parts or service for you. Good luck!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 6-24-2019 at 11:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Klr650Radiator  
Hello,

I am stuck in Los Cabos after riding from Canada on my Kawasaki KLR 650. The radiator died and have been waiting for a new one for ten days. It still isn't here and I need to start planning for worst case scenario. Does anyone know where I could store a motorcycle long term? Failing that does anyone have a kLR650 radiator they are willing to sell?

Thanks in advance

What year KLR. I have a slightly tweaked but serviceable Gen 1 radiator that you could have, just a matter of getting it to you from California. You would only need pay shipping cost. Have you investigated radiator repair where you are?
Klr650Radiator

[*] posted on 6-24-2019 at 12:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by KurtG  
Quote: Originally posted by Klr650Radiator  
Hello,

Thanks in advance

What year KLR. I have a slightly tweaked but serviceable Gen 1 radiator that you could have, just a matter of getting it to you from California. You would only need pay shipping cost. Have you investigated radiator repair where you are?

Thanks a ton for the offer. The Gen 2 radiator had different mount tabs and fan switch setups so that rad is a no go. Appreciate it though!
defrag4
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2019 at 12:37 PM

damn bud how bad did you mangle the rad that they cant jerryrig it up MX style?

Driving the PanAmerican Highway
https://www.facebook.com/homeonthehighway/
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2019 at 08:31 PM

Google a couple of the moto tour companies down there, I'm sure they could hook you up with storage or a fix.. Try contacting Fabricio Barreto of Baja ride in Cabo, I've met him in Baja a few times and he is a super guy that I bet can help... See link...

https://www.bajaride.com
bajadogs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2019 at 09:36 PM

My buddy used JB weld in the middle of nowhere years ago. Still rolling strong today. You will be fine man. Fix it. Seems like you wanna be stuck.
Beagle
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2019 at 04:43 AM

Also can give a shout to Andrik at www.offroadbajaadventures.com. He does off road dirt bike tours out of San Jose Del Cabo. Speaks fluent english and might have a lead on storage or parts. Great guy.

I've heard that car storage runs about 60-80-100 dollars per month around the airport at various places. There's also indoor storage lockers with garage style doors at Anchor Storage out by the airport as well. I think you have to just call or email them for rates.

Good luck.

Edit: There's also this outfit for storage that advertises on Craigslist.
https://bajasur.craigslist.org/rvs/d/vehicle-boat-parking-st...

[Edited on 6-25-2019 by Beagle]
Klr650Radiator

[*] posted on 6-25-2019 at 08:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajadogs  
My buddy used JB weld in the middle of nowhere years ago. Still rolling strong today. You will be fine man. Fix it. Seems like you wanna be stuck.

Seems awfully presumptuous. JB weld got it to Loreto. An aluminum Welder got it to La Paz where another aluminum welder got it half way to Los Cabos. More JB weld got it nowhere. A tow truck got it here.
Klr650Radiator

[*] posted on 6-25-2019 at 08:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Beagle  
Also can give a shout to Andrik at www.offroadbajaadventures.com. He does off road dirt bike tours out of San Jose Del Cabo. Speaks fluent english and might have a lead on storage or parts. Great guy.

I've heard that car storage runs about 60-80-100 dollars per month around the airport at various places. There's also indoor storage lockers with garage style doors at Anchor Storage out by the airport as well. I think you have to just call or email them for rates.

Good luck.

Thanks, I've contacted all the local motorcycle shops and moto tour companies. No luck with that angle. Found indoor storage for $50 a month, but still holding out some hope for a new part in the next few days.
Edit: There's also this outfit for storage that advertises on Craigslist.
https://bajasur.craigslist.org/rvs/d/vehicle-boat-parking-st...

[Edited on 6-25-2019 by Beagle]
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 6-25-2019 at 09:44 AM

KLR Dude,
I am a bit confused....have you ordered the rad parts needed and just waiting for them to arrive or what (need to be home before delivery date?)?

As a rider who has been lucky with no moto breakdowns in Baja (just broken bones and stolen bike [returned in 36 hours for $15,000 MP]), I feel your pain.

You have had some advice offered here .....and you appear to be doing that on your own initiative....

If part is on its way....sit tight.....if not, source it out from Ensenada or Tijuana so bus can deliver it within several days.....if ordered from the USA, it might take several weeks.

Several years ago I met up with a KLR guy in Mulege on his way back to USA.....fluent Spanish skills but new to riding away from home. He e-mailed me to say he had a flat in Santa Rosalia but wasn't kitted with flat repair stuff .... he got the tube fixed but then apparently ripped the sidewall somewhere around GN....

Rather than take my advice to source a "get-me-home tire" from Ensenada (or bike guys in Mulege), he insisted on replacing with same tire and on ordering it from the USA (customs brokers, etc)....and waited 2.5 weeks in GN for it to arrive (poor guy....could have been stuck in a better place).....

I think KurtG (the KLR dude on this thread who offered used Gen 1 rad)) also met this guy with me at La Hacienda in Mulege.....his bike was a shiny green as was his riding gear.....he was carrying WAY too much crap (Prospector hammer, shovel, etc.....but no patches or pump....or know-how)....

Sounds like you are better prepared for practical problem-solving :light: .

As an aside: If tire gets a tear/rip, one can repair it by lining the tire where it is damaged .

(between tube and carcass) with a dollar/peso paper note or some mylar (that plastic crap that your granola/candy bar is covered with), as these materials are sturdy and resistant to tearing.....and with some patches.glue, and bloody knuckles, one is usually able to "ride out" at a sensible pace.

Don't believe everything you think....
basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2019 at 02:40 PM

Can you bypass the damaged radiator and not go too hard on the throttle, or ride short distances and let the bike cool off? I have see this work before. :light::light:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.