BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: HSBC ATM Exchange Rate Scam
Stevabc

[*] posted on 8-7-2019 at 06:10 PM
HSBC ATM Exchange Rate Scam

I don't use HSBC ATM's often, but today I withdrew some money from a U.S. bank using one of their machines. To my surprise a new screen popped up that I don't remember seeing before.

HSBC "generously" offered to use an exchange rate of 18.36 pesos to the dollar. This when even local businesses have exchange rates of nearly 19 pesos posted for cash.

I declined their exchange rate fully intending to walk next door to a less crappy bank, but their machine dispensed the money anyway. When I looked at the exchange rate provided from the originating bank it was 19.58, nearly 7% better than the rate HSBC was going to use.

If you use an HSBC ATM don't accept their exchange rate. Instead decline and allow your bank to set the rate. It's like getting a 7% discount on everything you buy.
weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 8-8-2019 at 07:53 AM

See my Santander post - same same.

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-8-2019 at 08:00 AM

Pretty wild business practice.

Both banks are offering an exchange rate that if you decline, you end up getting a better rate.

Do you wish to get fewer pesos for your dollar?

Press YES or NO.

:?:

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
unbob
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2019 at 07:16 PM

I confess I fell for this scam today at Ensenada HSBC ATM. What evil crooks those bankers are. But they'll never steal another peso from me!:fire: Wish I'd read this thread earlier.

"I'm too young to be this old!"
unbob
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2019 at 07:28 PM

I calculate they stole at least $44.55 usd from me today. Not a good feeling. Avoid HSBC at all cost!!

[Edited on 11-7-2019 by unbob]

[Edited on 11-7-2019 by unbob]

chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2019 at 01:03 PM

All you do is don´t accept and the trans action carries on like in the past. I agree its sleazy.
unbob
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2019 at 05:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  
All you do is don´t accept and the trans action carries on like in the past. I agree its sleazy.
Correct. I admit I was a fool for letting this happen. My excuse is that I was in a hurry with amigos waiting for me and customers waiting in line for the ATM. Won't happen again!

unbob
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2019 at 07:08 PM

Noticed this on my Schwab transactions. My recent HSBC rip-off appears as "HONGKONGBANK(M) H S B C SENADA, B. M". ???? This is posted from my ATM transaction in Ensenada.

Previously (April 2019 and earlier) it would appear as "H S B C / LA PAZ, B. C." which made sense since I used an ATM in La Paz.

No idea what this means but something is obviously different than before and "HONGKONGBANK" is involved in this scam.

tunaeater
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2019 at 07:27 PM

This happened to me at the Airport in Huatulco. Thanks to this thread I was aware and did not accept and received the current rate which was way better then the offer.....Thanks for the heads up
mooneydrvr

[*] posted on 11-11-2019 at 08:02 PM
HSBC means....

The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation. While they may have a US charter; in the USA, they are not a US bank.
unbob
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2019 at 08:59 PM

Use HSBC ATM and you will be "Shang-haied".:mad:

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-14-2019 at 08:18 AM

This screen has been common at ATMs in Europe for several years. I'm kind of surprised it's just making its way to Mexico. It can be confusing.

IF you are with an institution back home whose exchange rates you know are good (for you), always decline having the ATM do the exchange rate for you.

Remember that the British once owned Hong Kong. That is where HSBC originated. It is still a British chartered bank. While their headquarters used to be in Hong Kong, it moved them to London prior to the return of HK to China.
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 11-14-2019 at 01:57 PM

Is it possible to bring US dollars and exchange for pesos at the bank?
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 11-14-2019 at 02:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaMama  
Is it possible to bring US dollars and exchange for pesos at the bank?

It depends! In Nov 2016, there was some exchange rate issues that caused the ATMs in Mulege, and Loreto to decline cash withdrawals for US bank cards. Neither would the banks accept my US greenbacks for pesos!

By the time I arrived in La Paz the next week, the issue was resolved, or it was just a local issue in Mulege and Loreto. I now carry more pesos from the start of my trips, even though my car is not secure.

I found out later that some of the local businesses would have exchanged my currency if I had asked.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 11-15-2019 at 08:36 AM

I have Santander bank they had posted 17.50 Ex yesterday. With having a Santander account. Wire transfer from my Chase account was at 19.10 no fees. On Wells Fargo it cost 5 bucks to move 500 US at 19.22 It changes every 15min the rates sent.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-15-2019 at 11:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
I have Santander bank they had posted 17.50 Ex yesterday. With having a Santander account. Wire transfer from my Chase account was at 19.10 no fees. On Wells Fargo it cost 5 bucks to move 500 US at 19.22 It changes every 15min the rates sent.

The 17.50 was the rate they posted in the window of the bank? I think that is different than some electronic means of passing funds or exchanging money. I believe that is how many pesos you will get if you go up to the window and exchange dollars for pesos.

Banks generally charge more if personnel have to physically handle money, including transporting it.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2020 at 09:38 AM

HSBC is not American? Jeez. You learn something new every day.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 1-25-2020 at 11:52 AM

British company
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HSBC

Harald Pietschmann
twogringos
Nomad

Mood: I feel more like I do now than I ever have before

[*] posted on 1-25-2020 at 06:21 PM

Santander recently changed the ATM software for machines in La Paz. They no longer offer the bad rate exchange, and the ATM fee you have to accept is 0.00 pesos. Hard to beat that. Exchange rate was 0.02% less than the current posted x-rate exchange.
Kate48

[*] posted on 2-11-2020 at 04:45 PM

I saw that notice at an HSBC ATM for the first time a couple weeks ago. I thought that if I declined, I wouldn’t get any money at all – – that it would cancel the transaction. My usual bank was out of money which is why I ended up at the horrible HSBC. I still didn’t know what happened when my money was dispensed, but when I got home I checked the exchange rate and it was at least peso more than HSBC “offered.” I might have accepted to avoid the inconvenience of finding another bank but it would have made a difference of 500 pesos so thanks for this post just so I know what actually happened. I have been robbed in a couple of different ways at HSBC in the past so I will avoid them unless in a great hurry.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.