Author: Subject: Kings Canyon/ Sequoia National Park
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-10-2019 at 09:41 AM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
Quote: Originally posted by David K  

The events after 2016 had made the industry whole again,

but all my business associates have not been able to stay?

Please elaborate on those contradictory statements.

John

They must not have had a supportive wife with enough income because after 2008 when the housing market crashed they simply had to get different jobs. With America back on track again after 2016, my old friends in the industry have already moved on, died, or ?? Also, my past customers, all older than me, who used to refer me to their friends, are dying off... sold their homes, etc. That part is not anyone else's fault.

I was hired by many landscape contractors to do the irrigation and lighting on their jobs as well as being referred to customers by them. After 2008 the frequency of these calls was just greatly reduced. Most of them are no longer in business. The bigger landscape companies that survived all have their own irrigation people (they do terrible work and use cheap pipe and parts). I am blessed that we had a roaring economy in the 90s and most of the 2000s so as a single parent, without any financial help from my ex or the government, I was able to raise my two kids in a nice neighborhood, in a nice house, until they were adults and moved on.

In any case, I feel older and it has become very uncomfortable to do this kind of work. It was always fun for me to help others and give them great irrigation systems that last for years (good products and sch. 40 pipe, only). I have accepted that I am in my sixties now and can't do what I have since I was 22 in 1980.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2019 at 09:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
I pulled my SS at 62, and have no regrets! Well, maybe a couple of years more would have left me in a bit better financial shape, but there is no way I would have kept subjecting myself to the wear and tear and hazards of construction until I was 70!

We can chat about it sometime if you like, but this thread is about you and your family, not me.

Thank you AKgringo.
Construction is hard on the body... and my work (gluing pvc pipes and punching in emitters) is on the knees. Fortunately, my knees have not given out but my legs are weak. I know they would be happier if I lost 30 pounds, too! I have switched to light beer, what else can I do???

I know many that have improved their physique and health in their 60s. Here is what else you can do:
Eat better
Exercise regularly
Be disciplined

Skip gyms, they are boring so you will lose interests. Take up a sport or active pastime you enjoy, the enjoyment will help you make it a regular activity, leading to health.

This may be the nicest post you have ever made to me. Thank you!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2019 at 09:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaRat  
Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
I pulled my SS at 62, and have no regrets! Well, maybe a couple of years more would have left me in a bit better financial shape, but there is no way I would have kept subjecting myself to the wear and tear and hazards of construction until I was 70!

We can chat about it sometime if you like, but this thread is about you and your family, not me.

Thank you AKgringo.
Construction is hard on the body... and my work (gluing pvc pipes and punching in emitters) is on the knees. Fortunately, my knees have not given out but my legs are weak. I know they would be happier if I lost 30 pounds, too! I have switched to light beer, what else can I do???

I know many that have improved their physique and health in their 60s. Here is what else you can do:
Eat better
Exercise regularly
Be disciplined

Skip gyms, they are boring so you will lose interests. Take up a sport or active pastime you enjoy, the enjoyment will help you make it a regular activity, leading to health.

Less stressful lifestyle
Move to Shell Island and become a travel author
Lionel :cool

Great plan! I have done the second part already!

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.