BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Have you ever or do you now travel with a gun to Baja?
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2019 at 05:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by paranewbi  
Shot my 36", 3 banded speargun through a wood fence from 30 feet away once just to see what it would do above water. Found out I would never want to tangle with someone with that in their hands.

Ask Vargas, 007 stuck him to a palm tree.

John

[Edited on 9-7-2019 by John Harper]
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 9-7-2019 at 06:39 AM

The one that decries global warming and rising oceans?????????
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2019 at 07:24 AM

Is pepper spray legal to have in Baja? It is very effective and will leave someone out of service for near an hour or more. If said person has a gun they could still be a problem if they just start shooting, think spray and move..I've used mace and OC spray on dozens of people and only had two people that weren't completely incapacitated by it. I've been exposed several times and it is a burning hell!I would think that bear spray would be just as good but I've never used it. How would one find out if it is legal to have?
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2019 at 08:44 AM

I have traveled with a gun in Baja. Back in 75 I was on a trip to BoLA with 5 or 6 other firefighters we were camped south of town and had towed some boats down there. We were sitting around camp one day and I was doing a little shooting with a 22 pistol that I had brought down. The next day I took the boat out across the bay to do some diving and when I got back to camp the guys told me the federales had come into camp with their M-16s and wanted to know who had the gun. I guess they looked in my truck and found the gun on the front seat and told the guys that if I had a permit for the gun that I could come in to town and get it back. A couple days later we packed up and drove into town and I stopped at Diaz's gas place and talked to Petricio and told him what had happened and he suggested that I go talk to the Delagada, who at that time was Guiermos mother Socoro (sp?) so I did, and she told me to wait there and she would return in a little bit. As I waited I thought how stupid am I being risking incarceration for a relatively cheap 22 pistol. Any way she came back and to my surprise she had my pistol with her. I was really surprised and asked her if there was anything I could do to repay her and she answered that maybe I could make a donation to the LA bay school. I answered that I would love to make a donation, she suggested $20 and I thought that was great and we parted both happy. That was one of my luckier days and my last trip with a gun in Baja.

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
bajamedic
Nomad

Mood: Just waitin for baja

[*] posted on 9-7-2019 at 09:12 AM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
Is pepper spray legal to have in Baja? It is very effective and will leave someone out of service for near an hour or more. If said person has a gun they could still be a problem if they just start shooting, think spray and move..I've used mace and OC spray on dozens of people and only had two people that weren't completely incapacitated by it. I've been exposed several times and it is a burning hell!I would think that bear spray would be just as good but I've never used it. How would one find out if it is legal to have?

I carry can of Pepper Spray in the Drivers Side Door, in an open compartment. At one of the Military Check Points, I had one of the Military Guys hold it up and ask the guy holding the Machine Gun "Salsa?", he nodded yes and the guy placed it back in the position found and smiled as he said we were good to go. But this is Mexico, so who knows. JH
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2019 at 09:53 AM

bajamedic, that's the thing with baja, one time it's all good and the next your up a creek! I know wasp spray isn't as good but I wont be going to jail for it, and it packs some pressure and will burn but not like pepper spray. I would like to find something I could print out that said it was legal?
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2019 at 10:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
The one that decries global warming and rising oceans?????????

I'm pretty sure it was, it was above sea level.

John
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.