Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Auto Liability Insurance
kitjv
Junior Nomad

question.gif posted on 9-5-2019 at 08:58 AM
Auto Liability Insurance

Please forgive me if I am asking a worn-out question. Since there are numerous insurance companies offering coverage in Baja, it is difficult to select a solid company with a no-hassle claim processing history; rather than making a selection based on premium cost only. Policies provided by BajaBound & Vagabundos del Mar seem to be popular. I would appreciate feedback from those who have dealt with specific insurance companies for your recommendation.

Thank you so much.
BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 9-5-2019 at 09:11 AM

Make sure you are legally in the country
Otherwise no insurance can help you
Never had a claim but we use Baja Bound
If we had a problem l will hold David on the hook
Lionel :cool:
Just kidding David
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-5-2019 at 09:29 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaRat  
Make sure you are legally in the country
Otherwise no insurance can help you
Never had a claim but we use Baja Bound
If we had a problem l will hold David on the hook
Lionel :cool:
Just kidding David

LOL, okay!!! :light::lol::coolup::bounce:
Always have an FMM in Mexico, even if for an hour in Tijuana. They are free for 7 days. All you need is a passport that won't expire during your stay.

(Baja Bound's Nomad member 'Baja Geoff' has posted, your immigration status is not considered by the company when deciding on claims)

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2019 at 11:58 AM

You stated liability insurance, so I assume that is what you're
looking for and not full coverage. I once read where 95% of
Mex plated cars in Mex are not insured? So any incident
your fault or not, carrying just liability will result in a loss.
That may work out depending on the risk you want to take,
and value of your vehicle. Another $ factor is how much
liability you choose, goes from the basic 50k to 500k.
The likelihood of something happening is low. With all
respect to folks who harp on the fmm as not needed,
one would be totally negligent to not get one

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2019 at 10:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by sancho  
I once read where 95% of Mex plated cars in Mex are not insured? So any incident
your fault or not, carrying just liability will result in a loss.

I didn't have a good look at my liability insurance from Baja Bound (no longer have it), but doesn't it include protection from "underinsured motorist" that pays you when it's not your fault?

OP - I don't think it matters whether you buy Baja Bound, Lewis or Discovery Baja. Prices are similar about $100-something a year, underwriters are the same Mexican companies. Yes, get FMM too, it's a no brainer.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2019 at 08:41 AM

if an insured motorist has a collision with an uninsured motorist the cops will place the blame on the insured. less paperwork, no need to impound the cars, everybody gets their car fixed. happened to me. worked out well.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2019 at 08:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Man_With_Gas  
Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
if an insured motorist has a collision with an uninsured motorist the cops will place the blame on the insured. less paperwork, no need to impound the cars, everybody gets their car fixed. happened to me. worked out well.

If I understand the above correctly (???) being uninsured is the best way to drive around as only fools pay for insurance?

Surely I'm reading this incorrectly.

Welcome to Mexico! Logic and common sense are not applied... The same thing is happening in California LOL!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2019 at 09:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Man_With_Gas  

I think my permanent exit from Mexico may come sooner than I planned.

I can't see the point of saving/having money as it's going to be extracted from you one way or the other by those who haven't earned it.

Just take it easy. Lack of logic is a feature peculiar not only to certain governments, but to this forum as well in case if you haven't noticed.

In Mexico foreigners are presumed to be packed with money, sort of a manna from heaven. Our wallets are "their economy". Your money will be extracted, you'll lose this battle no matter what. It's even worse in the Bahamas - same 3rd world "manna from heaven" mentality, but Mexicans are at least respectful, Bahamas locals are not - they want your money and at the same time hate you and are not making effort to hide this.

PS: back to the topic.
To the OP: it is still better to have a liability and repair your car at your expense when the other guy is at fault, than not to have any insurance. You'll understand why, when they throw you in jail for a couple of days for not having insurance, - until they sort things out. With insurance you walk away free.

[Edited on 9-6-2019 by Alm]
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2019 at 09:43 AM

I have made a claim. My carrier was HDI with a policy issued through Discover Baja. Both companies have my highest recommendations. My trailer tire dropped off the pavement just above Catavina and I ended up with a total loss of my boat. HDI made the entire process as painless as possible. Well at least as painless as the loss of a boat can be. They arranged with the tow company to take the initial accident report because the police would not respond all the way from San Quintin since it was a single party involved and no injuries. This allowed me to leave the scene and get to the hotel. I called them in the morning and they said they were sending an adjuster from San Quintin but then called me back and said that since I was headed south they would have an adjuster just meet me in Guerrero Negro so I wouldn't have to wait in Catavina. It took less than an hour to file my claim and I was back on the road to La Paz.

The claim was settled by HDI in about 30 days. What was also nice was having Discover Baja in my corner. Any time I had a question that wasn't answered in a timely manner all it took was a cc: of my email to Discover Baja and I had an answer in less than 24 hrs. I also need to state that none of my issues were with HDI but rather the US company they needed to work through to get me paid in the US. HDI settled the claim for the full amount of the policy in about 30 days. For whatever reason the US company was sitting on my check. Finally HDI sent a scathing letter to them saying they would release the funds to me in 24 hrs or they would be responsible for penalties.

I know you asked about a liability policy and my policies are full coverage but I assume the claim process would be similar.

In Memory of E-57
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 9-6-2019 at 09:50 AM

Good information Alan. Were your dealing in English, or are you competent in Spanish?

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2019 at 10:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  

It's my experience that it's the insurance adjuster that determines fault, not the cops. I was with a friend that got rear-ended by an uninsured driver near Mulege. Lots of damage to both cars. The Federales came upon the scene. We all had to wait in Mulege for the adjuster to come down from Santa Rosalia. The insurance company paid to have my friend's car fixed, but did not pay a dime to the uninsured driver because the accident was determined by the adjuster to be his (the uninsured driver's) fault.

[Edited on 9-6-2019 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 9-6-2019 at 10:35 AM

Always have libilty ins in Mexico you would be a fool to not have it. Bernie's Mex ins. Less then 120.00 a year on dL. Any current plated USA truck I drive with two DLs. On policy
kitjv
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2019 at 11:26 AM

Thank you for all the responses. Having traveled in Mexico several times over the years, I am quite aware of the prudency of having Mexican insurance. This time I will likely opt for full coverage since the additional cost over a liability-only policy is minimal. And, BTW, I always secure an FMM.

Also, I never quibble about the seemingly contradictory nature of Mexican laws since I consider myself a guest in someone else's house.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2019 at 11:33 AM

Good attitude kitjv!

sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2019 at 12:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  

I didn't have a good look at my liability insurance from Baja Bound (no longer have it), but doesn't it include protection from "underinsured motorist" that pays you when it's not your fault?

Some time ago, I contacted bajabound about having a liability
only policy, with an additional uninsured motorist protection,
NOT a full coverage policy.
That type of coverage is available in the US. If my
memory is correct they said uninsured motorist is available
only with a full coverage policy, makes sense. My understanding
is a low % of Mex plated vehicles have insurance, I have
no info to back that up though, I suppose it varies in what
area one is driving in

BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 9-6-2019 at 12:33 PM

I would recommend getting your insurance e through one of the travel clubs: Discover Baja, Baja Bound, Vagabundos Del Mar.
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2019 at 09:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Good information Alan. Were your dealing in English, or are you competent in Spanish?
Completely in English. I have the spanish vocabulary of a three year old.

Additionally I emphasize what BajaMama says about going through one of the travel clubs and thought I made that point in my previous response. They sell so many policies they have a lot of clout when dealing with the insurance companies. Having them representing you is priceless.

In Memory of E-57
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 9-7-2019 at 09:34 AM

Thanks for the reply, and I hope I never have to confirm your findings, but it gives me some hope.

Three year olds just shake their head when I use my Spanish, even shouting doesn't help get my point across!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2019 at 09:46 AM

Baja Bound is not a club... So no membership requirement. I believe the Baja Good Life Club uses them for insurance, however?

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2019 at 10:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by sancho  
If my
memory is correct they said uninsured motorist is available
only with a full coverage policy, makes sense. My understanding
is a low % of Mex plated vehicles have insurance, I have
no info to back that up though, I suppose it varies in what
area one is driving in

This is from Discover Baja. Bajabound says the same.

It sounds like uninsured motorist coverage is not something extra that needs to be requested. Nothing is said about who is at fault. I'm going to check into it.

"If you have an accident with an uninsured motorist, your full-coverage policy will provide coverage for the physical damage to your vehicle as well as medical coverage for you and the passengers in your car per policy limits. A liability-only policy will provide the medical benefits and legal aid, but no coverage for damage to your vehicle or vessel."

https://www.discoverbaja.com/mexican-auto-insurance/auto-ins...

[Edited on 9-7-2019 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.