BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Where do you park at CBX?
TLBaja79
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2019 at 06:32 AM
Where do you park at CBX?

We normally park in Lot 1 or 2 for $15 per day....
Last time there I saw a large dirt lot that looks like people park there. Is it cheaper?
Same security?
Still CBX Parking or 3rd party?

We prefer to park 'on site' and no longer park at Delta or others.

Thx

[Edited on 9-7-2019 by TLBaja79]
rancho guillermo
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2019 at 06:46 AM

Just used CBX on labor Day weekend. Parked in dirt lots because everything was full. It is operated by CBX and was 15.00 a day. They are running out of parking. I thought I saw a sign in premium parking that read 18.00 a day. If that is true and your stay is not long,. it is alot closer for only 3.00 more per day...just saying. Good luck.
TLBaja79
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2019 at 07:29 AM

Exactly what I'm looking for. Thx!!
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2019 at 07:35 AM

Check online - Lion is charging $7. You can also get the CBX shuttle downtown at the Santa Fe station (use airport parking, have someone drop you off, take trolley). Also consider not using CBX. I took the bus ($1.10) to the Otay border (I was the only one on the bus at the end of the line), walked across - few people crossing - not like TJ; got FMM en route, took taxi to the airport ($15 flat rate posted), and went through security with boarding pass in hand. Very smooth. Depends on your desired convenience level. Since I live near downtown SD, logistics worked for me.
paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2019 at 10:29 AM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
Check online - Lion is charging $7. You can also get the CBX shuttle downtown at the Santa Fe station (use airport parking, have someone drop you off, take trolley). Also consider not using CBX. I took the bus ($1.10) to the Otay border (I was the only one on the bus at the end of the line), walked across - few people crossing - not like TJ; got FMM en route, took taxi to the airport ($15 flat rate posted), and went through security with boarding pass in hand. Very smooth. Depends on your desired convenience level. Since I live near downtown SD, logistics worked for me.

Reminiscent of the old days... May start doing this again. Last time through CBX the place was packed. Had prepaid crossing online and that helped get past most of those going. Coming back there was a long line to get to the recrossing that was like a cattle call.
Parking at Delta and their free ride to Otay then the taxi seemed such a hassle compared to the opening of CBX but with the crowds both ways it almost seems easier. Unless of course you get caught in the dreaded 2 hour plus wait at the walkthrough entry port :(
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2019 at 02:12 PM

"2 hour plus wait at the walkthrough entry port" At Otay, entering Mexico, and entering USA, there was no wait to speak of. A short line to enter USA - maybe 10 min. After I got to the street outside the airport, I saw the taxis lined up, but I didn't want to pay $15. I walked about a block to where the Libre taxis were waiting - some were waving me down - I told them I didn't want to pay $15. One told me $12 - I said OK. Took me as close as he could - practically to the door.
paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2019 at 02:58 PM

"2 hours plus wait at the walkthrough entry port" At Otay, entering Mexico, and entering the USA, there was no wait to speak of. A short line to enter the USA - maybe 10 min. After I got to the street outside the airport, I saw the taxis lined up, but I didn't want to pay $15. I walked about a block to where the Libre taxis were waiting - some were waving me down - I told them I didn't want to pay $15. One told me $12 - I said OK. Took me as close as he could - practically to the door.

Yep, but mostly a hit or miss thing if you are not a frequent flyer so to speak at walking across Otay. On the US side of the border at Otay are some of the largest supply warehouses for big box stores and others. The line we got in was just in time for the shift from TJ to go to work at night in the Costco warehouse. They take turns sending someone to the line early and then as the other workers arrive they simply find that person in line and stand with that guy.
I know this because the young man in front of us explained why the eight people who joined him over the last half hour of our line were doing so. He was extremely nice and he apologized but explained if they are late they get dinged and after two they are fired. I totally understood and it made the wait that more enjoyable.
If there is a wait the freelance musicians, food vendors and others entertained for a few pesos.
Just something to think of when thinking of walking back over.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2019 at 04:33 PM

Also consider not using CBX. I took the bus ($1.10) to the Otay border (I was the only one on the bus at the end of the line), walked across - few people crossing - not like TJ; got FMM en route, took taxi to the airport ($15 flat rate posted), and went through security with boarding pass in hand. Very smooth. Depends on your desired convenience level. Since I live near downtown SD, logistics worked for me.

Newbies should not follow this advice. CBX is really good.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2019 at 05:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Also consider not using CBX. I took the bus ($1.10) to the Otay border (I was the only one on the bus at the end of the line), walked across - few people crossing - not like TJ; got FMM en route, took taxi to the airport ($15 flat rate posted), and went through security with boarding pass in hand. Very smooth. Depends on your desired convenience level. Since I live near downtown SD, logistics worked for me.

Newbies should not follow this advice. CBX is really good.

Yea and don't forget your sanitary pre-packaged btwipes...

Crossing a border between nations as a newbi adds to the list of experiences you'll gather on your trip anywhere. Crossing between two commercial enterprises (which is the CBX experience) amounts to an experience of checking into your room at a Hilton.

If you are the type that hires guides, the best boats, the finest off road equipment with a chase truck; then CBX is just fine.

But if you want an immersion experience that at times can be stressful but memorable stand in a line with the locals and experience what they experience. Then next time go the Hilton route.

IF you're like me and old with plenty of money and have crossed 40 borders in our lifetime including Otay; Join JZ and I in the AC climatized tunnel of CBX. Don't touch anything in there tho, you don't know what is on those handrails and toilet flushers.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2019 at 05:55 PM

We always travel with baby wipes. They are in the side pocket of the truck door. Helps the butt hold up over a week of roughing it.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-7-2019 at 09:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TLBaja79  

We normally park in Lot 1 or 2 for $15 per day....
Last time there I saw a large dirt lot that looks like people park there. Is it cheaper?
Same security?
Still CBX Parking or 3rd party?

We prefer to park 'on site' and no longer park at Delta or others.

Thx

[Edited on 9-7-2019 by TLBaja79]

If I am traveling a week or more I just take under to/from CBX, or get friends to drive us.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Alan
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 9-8-2019 at 09:14 AM

Just curious why you don't like to park at Delta or Lion? I have a two hour drive to Otay and prefer to have reserved parking when I arrive. Hate to drive all that way to find out the CBX lot is full as this method of crossing has become hugely popular. Additionally Delta and Lion are nearly half price and their driver has always shown up in less than 15 minutes of my call.

In Memory of E-57
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2019 at 03:21 PM

"If you are the type that hires guides, the best boats, the finest off road equipment with a chase truck; then CBX is just fine."
Well, la de effing da
Experienced travelers don't need guides and chase trucks.
paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2019 at 03:36 AM

"If you are the type that hires guides, the best boats, the finest off road equipment with a chase truck; then CBX is just fine."
Well, la de effing da
Experienced travelers don't need guides and chase trucks.

Wait...Don't we all wish we could walk in JZ's shoes?

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.