BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: driving on Baja beaches legal or illegal?
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2019 at 08:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by matthew_mangus  
Quote: Originally posted by shari  

Beach driving depends on so many factors...where the beach is, if there are turtle nests, people on the beach etc. If it is a problem they enforce it, if not, they let it slide.

Are there any visual cues of turtle nests that are visible from a car moving 20+ mph down a beach? I like camp on the beach in my truck but am always nervous about driving w/ in 100 yrds of high tide lines during nesting season. I typically just stay back, but wonder if I'm being overly cautious.

I've often wondered about this as well... I ride quads on the beach and think that with the large footprint of the ATV tire, the low weight, as well as forward momentum (most of the time), and, the depth that turtle eggs are buried at, if they actually sustain any damage. A truck might be a different story...

Anyone have any data or studies on this with the turtle eggs? I think coyotes do more harm personally. I've seen plenty of dug up turtle nests, as well as dead mama turtles that laid eggs and didn't make it back to the water due to coyote attack. Very sad to see a set of turtle tracks going up the beach and not making it back down to the water...

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-4-2019 at 09:18 PM

Human foot prints on sand can penetrate deeper than atv or 4x4 tracks that are properly deflated. Turtle eggs are very deep and likely safe. As far as seeing turtle tracks from a vehicle, most certainly as they are very obvious. I have only seen turtle tracks south of La Paz, so far. I have seen photos showing the turtle population is doing so well that they have extended nesting nearly to San Felipe!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 10-4-2019 at 10:10 PM

Beach driving depends on so many factors...where the beach is, if there are turtle nests, people on the beach etc. If it is a problem they enforce it, if not, they let it slide.

Are there any visual cues of turtle nests that are visible from a car moving 20+ mph down a beach? I like camp on the beach in my truck but am always nervous about driving w/ in 100 yrds of high tide lines during nesting season. I typically just stay back, but wonder if I'm being overly cautious.

you will only spot the location of a nest by the very visible mama footprints. Once they go away, only someone with a good nose (coyotes) can find them.

I agree with others here - the eggs are deep enough to not be harmed by even large animals trotting down the beach (cows). The pressure per square inch of a truck tire will definitely do no harm.
But that is not really the point. Emotional people can not be reached with science (see palm trees).
The super concerned want to protect every single egg. I understand their feeling, but nature has figured that one out already.

It is the desperate attempt to save the planet. You are not doing that by sitting on a turtle nest. Or by not using plastic bags. Or straws. Please!

We are doomed! Let's party while going down. Right on top of a turtle nest.
By the way - do they taste any good?

Harald Pietschmann
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-4-2019 at 11:27 PM

Yes, tires on vehicles will compact noncohesive sands at depth of egg burial.
Don’t believe me? Bury your wife’s legs in 9 inches of sand and drive over them, ask her if she feels pressure.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2019 at 05:14 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  

you will only spot the location of a nest by the very visible mama footprints. Once they go away, only someone with a good nose (coyotes) can find them.

I agree with others here - the eggs are deep enough to not be harmed by even large animals trotting down the beach (cows). The pressure per square inch of a truck tire will definitely do no harm.
But that is not really the point. Emotional people can not be reached with science (see palm trees).
The super concerned want to protect every single egg. I understand their feeling, but nature has figured that one out already.

It is the desperate attempt to save the planet. You are not doing that by sitting on a turtle nest. Or by not using plastic bags. Or straws. Please!

We are doomed! Let's party while going down. Right on top of a turtle nest.
By the way - do they taste any good?

Taste is an acquired thing...I never developed it. Playa Azul mainland 1976. A few locals perused the beaches in the night darkness. The eggs are like ping-pong balls but don't possess the rigidity. Bite a small hole in the egg and squeeze/suck out the briny liquid. Said to be an aphrodisiac but didn't motivate me.
My surf buddy found them tolerable and consumed several more than my single indulgence. Didn't seem to do much for him either.
The actual words described by locals for the indulgence; "makes you a macho-man at night" (our impressed translation).
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2019 at 07:15 AM

Are you kidding me. men
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 10-5-2019 at 07:27 AM

Most of the time, when you ask the police why crime abounds and lawbreakers
have the upper hand, they will proudly tell you that they are the "preventive police" with "no authority to arrest when a crime is committed." They will also tell you that the only cops with total arrest authority are the Federal cops and the marines when in their military duties.

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
Harold with great respect. If you go to police station to ask that question. You may ask them why there is no law when crime is committed. Or why 1 percent go to jail.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 10-5-2019 at 07:44 AM

I disagree...there are good laws in Mexico and I like the way police enforce them...only when they need to...when offenders are blatantly and dangerously breaking said laws.

[/rquote]

Well put Shari. It's called felxibility, something that is missing north of the border. Visitors often ask me why those old cars without plates are all over the city. Well, what would the police gain by impounding the only transportation poor workers have to get to work?

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
10-30-2019 at 10:55 AM
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.