BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Gonzaga to Chapala Improving!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-18-2019 at 08:28 AM

Thanks...
Some Nomads are going down in a couple of weeks and I have requested them to take kilometer post notes.

If anyone else can answer any of these, that would be great for all of us!

I would like to know the Km. marker for
*La Turquesa Canyon road (if you can tell, this may be hard).
*The Coco's access or old road (near Las Arrastras).
*The Las Arrastras bridge (where you can see down to the old ore mill circle and well, etc.).
*The detour off the pavement.
*Any other markers of note, if they are installed, like the return to pavement.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

msulkers

[*] posted on 10-21-2019 at 03:02 PM

Sorry, David, we missed your post. We drove from Rancho Percebu to BOLA on October 19th. Experience as per Pacifico. We drove exactly 30 detours, with most of them well under a minute in length.

From Bahia San Luis Gonzaga to Laguna Chapala took 50 minutes. There are sections of the Puertocitos to BSLG section that do not have undermined shoulders marked with cones or piedras, so stay alert.

Also, most of Hwy 1 south of Laguna Chapala to Parador Punta Prieta is smooth retopping...
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2019 at 03:06 PM

Thanks for wanting to help... TW and other Nomads are going in November and have a to-do list. TW has been a big contributor to the Nomad Kilometer List, anyway.

There is also the newly added kilometer markers south from L.A. Bay to add to the Nomad list... So, keep an eye out and have pen and paper for new stuff on the road in Baja!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Louisren45

[*] posted on 11-6-2019 at 08:28 AM
SAN Felipe to puertosito

Do you also know the condition of the broken pavement section after SF ? This spring on our return the road was so bad we had to idle through the potholes towing our 20ft travel trailer. Are they fixing that or do they have made detours?
mjs
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2019 at 08:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Louisren45  
Do you also know the condition of the broken pavement section after SF ? This spring on our return the road was so bad we had to idle through the potholes towing our 20ft travel trailer. Are they fixing that or do they have made detours?

Lot of work currently going on in that section. Repavement, new culverts and rework on some of the vados to take the sharp crown off. Still some detours but the road is in good shape as most of the pot hole sections have been completed.
Louisren45

[*] posted on 11-7-2019 at 10:49 AM

That’s great to hear. Thank you
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2019 at 10:55 AM

TW (TMW) and other Nomads are south of San Felipe now and promised to post a detailed road report when they are back. I have been getting Spot pings from TW the past two days (San Felipe South Campos, Rancho Grande Gonzaga Bay, Coco's Corner, L.A. Bay).

Ron in BC
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2019 at 04:48 PM

Great, glad that's happening.

Going down this year in Feb. , with a trailer, was the worse it's ever been. I was happy to hear that the work pace had picked up.

Now all that has to happen is no hurricane or torrential rain hits before the end of January.

Keep those road reports coming, they're appreciated.

Ron
basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2019 at 05:02 AM

I drove the section between San Felipe and Gonzaga bay last week. A lot of work has been complete with more in process. There are a lot of bypasses around bridges that are in work, but most are short. Overall, construction added about 45 minutes each way. Not too bad!
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 11-8-2019 at 07:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by Tioloco  
As of today, 1 mile of dirt from Chapala to the new asphalt, then 4.5 miles of dirt thru the mountain. Fastest trip ever for me.

Amazing, so after the 4.5 miles you can stay on pavement all the way to Gonzaga Bay?
5.5 total unpaved miles of the ~33 miles from Chapala to Gonzaga?

Where you going? Me, Gary, Danny and Andy are doing a trip in December
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2019 at 08:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  
Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by Tioloco  
As of today, 1 mile of dirt from Chapala to the new asphalt, then 4.5 miles of dirt thru the mountain. Fastest trip ever for me.

Amazing, so after the 4.5 miles you can stay on pavement all the way to Gonzaga Bay?
5.5 total unpaved miles of the ~33 miles from Chapala to Gonzaga?

Where you going? Me, Gary, Danny and Andy are doing a trip in December

Ed, are you asking me a question? No trips for me planned. The two 2019 trips with TV show crews might just last me a lifetime... they were so much fun to be a part of!

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.