Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: help! information on palapa construction
yankeeirishman
Banned

[*] posted on 3-27-2005 at 08:09 PM
kill kill kill! I love to kill!

Hey....try this for your aunts...er ants!
There are two ways to kill ants. The first is to dehydrate them by laying out piles of instant grits ( a corn product usually located in the cereal section of the grocery store) at the point of entry and along their trail. They will think of the grits as a food source and consume the pellets. The grits will in turn absorb moisture from the ant's body, thus killing it (instant grits are specially formulated to absorb water more rapidly that regular grits, thus they are more effective). The second method to kill ants is to feed them a mixture of 1 part active dry yeast, 2 parts molasses, and 1 part sugar. They will be attracted to the sugar in the mixture and will eat it readily. Once consumed the yeast will produce gas in the ant, and because they can't expel the gas, it will kill them.

Another method of elimination involves the elimination of the nest. If you can find the nest, you can try pouring boiling water over the nest. If that isn't sufficient, you can try adding cayenne pepper to the boiling water, or using citrus extracts. If you have multiple nests, you could dig up a bucket of ants from one nest and dump it on another nest. Ants are very territorial, and they will readily hunt and kill invading colonies

What control freaks there are here. Don\'t believe that post you just read!
Juan
Junior Nomad

Mood: Life is good.

[*] posted on 3-28-2005 at 01:35 PM
Juan

The contractor who did the "black construction" (primarily roof and walls) on my house in Loreto told me a "good palapa roof" should contain approximately 40 ojas per square meter.

After looking at many of the palapa roofs in town I think the contractor was right. The roofs that are short on ojas can usually be seen from a distance. These roofs are usually on gringo houses. Also, when you look at the ojas from underneath a poor roof is obvious from the distance between the stalks of the ojas. A poor roof will have more room betwee the stalks than a good one. The contractor showed me a few of the houses he had done and the difference was quite obvious. My roof is about 6 or 7 inches thick throughtout, including the overhangs.

Bill Benzinger, owner of the Oasis resort here in Loreto, told me a good roof will last about 12 years but if you have it sprayed with varnish it will last much longer. I had my ceiling sprayed but that was only 2 or 3 years ago so I can't say much about the longlivity in my case. One big advantage with the varnish is that it seals the ceiling and stops the dust and bug excrement from falling on your floor, tables and other flat surfaces.

Good luck with your project, Juan
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2005 at 02:04 PM
Good Thread

Juan , I had 44 Ojasa per meter.
First: They have to be cut in October after the full Moon!

Second; they must be soaked in the Estuary for at least 48 Hours prior to putting in Place[Agood pond or Pila will do}

I took a Good commercial Water Sealer and put about a Drop of Chlordane to each 5 Gallon bucket. I sprayed the undeside before it was installed.

After putting all of the Ojas in place I sprayed the Sealer with a High Grade Varnish, very thin Appliciation.

I had one small Hole created by a Termite, I scraped it out and resealed.

My wife, 2 d0gs, 2 Kitty Cats, a Good Number of Bats, all lived there for a number of years.{the Bats only visited at Night during certain Months}.

Lots of Luck

Skeet/Loreto
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2005 at 03:34 PM
can you say palapa?

we like it.............. the way it is.:coolup:

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2005 at 04:19 PM

Sharksbaja:your palapa is beautiful!
I also have an outdoor and inside kitchen and only use the oven outside. Between the wind and the weather(too cool or too hot) that is all that works for me. If you plan to be here at all in summer the outside oven is a blessing. We used to have laminada sheet metal around the stove before we built the inside kitchen and even then the burner would blow out.
Suerte

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2005 at 04:23 PM
thanx, funny thing is...

that's the one thing we need, an oven. Our wind events in our area of Mulege are not as extreme as along the playas so the stove top usually suffices.

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Worldtraveller
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2005 at 11:50 PM

Different part of the world, but much of Namibia is covered with palapa-type thatch roofs. Very long native grasses & occasionally palm fronds are used.

If properly constructed, they are virtually leak-proof even in bad bad storms. Major maintenance is required every 5 years or so, with annual touch-ups recommended. However, impossible to keep the spiders away. Dust could be kept under control w/ a coating.

Most were quite charming, until the building codes began requiring ugly lightning rods & external gravity-fed automatic sprinklers
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2005 at 12:53 AM
Correctamundo Pompano

I am afraid to say that the previous owner was dying in L.A. with scirosis and hoping for a transplant. We bought it through Roberto Sr. Have pretty much restored the whole house.
Actually only lost a couple of fronds in the Hurricaine after which the home sat years unattended till we purchased it.
I did manage to get stuck with the previous utilitiy bills tho.
We have multiple rainbirds with a dedicated pump for fire control if necessary. (probably would not help in a fire like Tripui) It is good for airborne embers.The lower house is built with cinder block and cemento. It also utilizes native palm, cardon and organpipe cactus in it's construction. Great acoustics for music.

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
yankeeirishman
Banned

[*] posted on 3-29-2005 at 09:10 AM

I am! Can you email the details with a shot of the property? BTW keep up the VERY funny photoshots!

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
I was quite sure I recognized the place..albiet the new remodel. Sorry to hear about Ron's battle with scirosis, but can understand the circumstances. Godspeed to a new liver, amigo..the homeguard wishes you well. During his time in Mulege, he was a welcome addition to the morning coffee crew at Sam's DonnaMoe Pizza shop a bunch of years ago. Whatever happened to his cousin, Ms.... from Virginia? We affectionately called her Olive Oil. Sam was smitten with her.

**Which reminds me..when are we going to get a morning sidewalk coffe club going again? Quite a few people would like a nice outside breakfast or just coffee like the old days. Similar to Ole's in Loreto. Pelicano outside seating would be perfect, Pierce & Val! The idea translates to more $$$$**

I know you will enjoy your new palapa home, Sharksbaja. I always liked the palapa cottages 'tropical' design at the Orchard. Roberto, among other things, has a ..er..flair for the romantic aspects of life. Especially liked the swim-up bar and wine cave at Harry & Shirley Eller's cottage. I think they moved to Kansas.

I have quite a bit of extra buildable land left on Coyote Bay that I should do something with...hmmm.:light: Would anyone care for a home in Bahia de Concepcion?

What control freaks there are here. Don\'t believe that post you just read!
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.