BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Baja maps on android tablet?
blue.yota

[*] posted on 12-18-2019 at 09:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

Get a Samsung Tab. One that supports cellular. You don't need a cellular plan. The Wi-Fi only ones don't have

Newbie and first time post.

I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 from Costco for approximately $230 after a $100 rebate. It's WiFi only and has gps and works great!

To the original poster: If what I'm about to say has been said please disregard.
1. Tech can be frustrating, I bought a Garmin edge 2 for my bike and wanted to throw it off a cliff!! There's a logic though to computers, smartphones and tablets it takes time to acquaint yourself with the workflow.

2. Get yourself an inexpensive smartphone like a moto made by Motorola and inexpensive cellular plan from someplace like Page Plus that back bones on the 4G Verizon network. This way when you purchase the number 3 item you just open the Google Wi-Fi app which connects your wi-fi very simply.

3. I suggest a Google Wi-Fi for $100 for home Wi-Fi.

4. I use Backcountry Navigator and Gaia my preference is Backcountry Navigator though Gaia is ok.

It took me messing with BFN but as others have said you download map packages for offline use. When on the trail you can drop pins at interesting places to assist in recalling places. You can record tracks too. Later at home you can continue to work on your trip data. I recommend you make sure all map packages are deleted from your device prior to downloading New maps for a new area as you'll have more memory.

If you can buy a tablet with the most built-in memory you can afford and have the capability to add a micro sd card.

As others have said a Garmin inreach (I have the mini) is paramount. I can send tracking info to family and friends and send short text messages via the smartphone estimate app. The inreach has taken me time to get used to but now I understand it. Main thing with it is to either have it unplugged from a power source while using it or have a power source that doesn't shut off when you shut off your engine.

I don't know where you live but if you live in So cal I'd be happy to show you my system and demonstrate how I use it. I live in Los Angeles and visit family in San Diego often.

If you are retired and don't want WiFi in your house Starbucks or any coffee house with WiFi will do fine with these devices.

Anyway, lots of info.

Happy Holidays

Hugh

[Edited on 12-19-2019 by blue.yota]

[Edited on 12-20-2019 by BajaNomad]
bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2019 at 09:09 AM

Welcome, you got part of a quote from JZ, one of our resident GPS gurus, at the bottom of your post.

I was finally able to load Google Maps for offline use on to the POS Dragon Touch, using wifi, and the GPS worked. Later, in Mexicali, I discovered that Google Maps disappear after 30 days, like the tape recording on Mission Impossible "This map will self destruct in 30 days" By then I had figured out how to get through the new border crossing in Mexicali without getting lost and did need GPS any more.

Samsung seems to be the preferred device, although I will say using Android allows Google to know your every movement, and pretty soon you start getting targeted ads that are almost spooky at how specific they are to where you have been and your search history.

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2019 at 10:06 AM

Google maps will automatically update at or near the expiration period if you are at a cell or wi-fi location. I get an reminder on my device that says leave GM open (device on) to have faster update.
The maps will not disappear just not be updated. Definitely not a big deal if not updated.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2019 at 07:20 PM

I really like OSMAND app on my phone and tablet, when I build my new Baja ride I will run the tablet on a dash mount, I like the bigger screen.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2019 at 07:41 AM

Tablets are good and mentioned my many posts on Nomad. Seems like Android is the favorite. New models have a darn good image with acceptable touch screen.
Bigger is always better to a limit. I like an 8" as my size limit. Bigger is size results in a big mounting issue and resulting shaking on bad roads.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.