Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Baja Orphanage Volunteers Available
NE14Baja
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2019 at 08:09 PM
Baja Orphanage Volunteers Available

We are interested in helping or assisting with any orphanage projects in Baja.
We are available and willing to lend a hand where needed.
Any info or contacts are welcome, thx.
aburruss
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2019 at 09:49 PM

I've visited and done some volunteer work at City of Children in Ensenada. They are part of Baja Missions. Links for contacts on their websites, or if you message me, I can point you in the direction of the people I contacted.

https://www.bajamissions.us/
https://www.cityofchildren.com/

My experience with helping at City of Children was extremely rewarding. The kids loved us being there. You do make a difference in their lives.
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 10-17-2019 at 09:24 AM

It's not kids, but these old guys can always use some help! Many focus on the kids but these guys are also in need, I find that many of the orphanages are pretty well supported, the Grandpa's not so much. Please look into helping them out!

https://www.facebook.com/Casa-Hogar-del-Ancianos-77876435553...
Thank you for looking out for others.

[Edited on 10-18-2019 by MMc]

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2019 at 03:53 AM

I second the need for helping the grandpa's! Great project helping the older gents who have no one else or no one else able to care for them.

So wonderful of you to offer to do a good deed!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 10-18-2019 at 03:43 PM

Back to the kids....
(and I am an old guy)

Rancho Santa Marta- 4 miles south of San Vicente, just before the big LA Cetto vineyards. They have a trade school, regular school, work with kids with disabilities. Huge ranch, great facilities, lots of opportunity to help in any manner. Rod took over from his wife's parents, Bill and Kaye Lawrence. I have worked with them since 1972 when they were down at Colonio Guerrero

Door of Faith- La Mision. Dirt road takes off right at the north side of the bridge on the free road. Go a half mile. Very well organized and clean. I also started working with them in 1972. Adopted four boys from there long long ago.

Rancho de los Ninos- El Porvenir (Guadalupe Valley) It is located right where the newly paved cutoff from Hwy 3 runs into downtown Porvenir. I set up a US 501 ( c ) (3) for them last year. Jorge runs a very efficient and clean operation. He was originally raised in an orphanage.

Sordo Mudo, Next to LA Cetto on Hwy 3 in Guadalupe. They work strictly with special needs kids. Sordo Mudo translates to "deaf and dumb" Also have a nice little RV park directly across the highway where I have stayed numerous times.

Want more??? U2U me. I have visited about 40 orphanages in Baja. Seen the best, seen the worst. Believe me, you don't want to get involved in the places that are not clean and where the kids don't get good care. Cuz no matter how hard you try, you ain't gonna change things for the better.... Been there/done that!!!
NE14Baja
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2019 at 07:27 PM

Thank you all so much for the provided info.
We will for sure partake in the “Grandpa's” program! Kids too program too!
We have met so many wonderful, giving, pleasant and helpful Baja folks during our travels in Baja and mainland Mexico.
Though we have always been kind and respectful to all we encounter, it’s time to give back in more meaningful ways to those who have provided such wonderful trips and experiences over the years!
Looking forward to new adventures!
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2019 at 09:40 AM

Two simple rules you should follow on first entering an orphanage:

1. Cleanliness- you will immediately observe whether or not the place is clean. If not, beat feet out of there pronto!! I have had orfa directors tell me that their budget is limited, or they are overburdened or all kinds of other crap...… Nonsense!!! Clean is clean, and if not then you don't want anything to do with the place.

2. Condition of the kids. Are the kids being treated properly? You will pick up on this very quickly. The kids must be well fed, well clothed, and clean. There also needs to be some kind of order to the place, although you are dealing with kids with lots of issues, so perfection is not possible. Good (not harsh) discipline is important.

Final comment. If you really want to get involved, pay close attention to the folks running the place. I have been to a few places where the Gringos in charge are obviously there because they would never make it in their former lives in US. You will occasionally run into some who are real losers, and they are living off the good graces of donors and supporters instead of staying North and making a living. Not many, but unfortunately a few that really fit this category. Generally you will see poor conditions in the place before you even have a chance to see the poor administration that cause these failings.

Don't try to turn a dirty, poorly run place into a showroom. You will be wasting your time, and your treasure.
HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2019 at 09:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  

Sordo Mudo, Next to LA Cetto on Hwy 3 in Guadalupe. They work strictly with special needs kids. Sordo Mudo translates to "deaf and dumb" Also have a nice little RV park directly across the highway where I have stayed numerous times.

Sordo Mudo translates to deaf world but agree they have a nice RV park and seem to do some good work. You can find more info and how to help on their website - http://ranchosordomudo.com/

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 10-19-2019 at 10:06 AM

There is no 'n' in mudo, it translates to 'mute'.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2019 at 10:11 AM
That is correct

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

Others on this board have made the same error in the past.
Mundo would be "world" but the Everetts, long ago, named it Sordo Mudo….. which they themselves used the phrase "Deaf and Dumb" Not so PC these days, but 40 years ago Ed
Everett and I had many good discussions and he had no problem using the phrase, and loving the kids like family!!
HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2019 at 12:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  
Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

Others on this board have made the same error in the past.
Mundo would be "world" but the Everetts, long ago, named it Sordo Mudo….. which they themselves used the phrase "Deaf and Dumb" Not so PC these days, but 40 years ago Ed
Everett and I had many good discussions and he had no problem using the phrase, and loving the kids like family!!

Ah... good to know. Thanks.

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2019 at 12:38 PM

And by the way
"Dumb" means unable to speak
It was a perfectly acceptable use of the word up until the PC police took over our modern world
Now no words are safe, sad to say
TecateRay
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2021 at 04:06 PM

Here’s a second for Rancho de Los Niños. 60+ kids from infants to teens. In a loving and well run environment.
Jorge Fonseca and his wife Elizabeth are the directors. Both were raised there and went on to university before returning to help more generations of orphaned children.
There alsways lots of projects, programs and improvements that could use your help or your donations.
I have Jorges contact info if you want to get more details.
HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2021 at 05:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by HeyMulegeScott  

Sordo Mudo, Next to LA Cetto on Hwy 3 in Guadalupe. They work strictly with special needs kids. Sordo Mudo translates to "deaf and dumb"

It looks like that (school?) was started by folks from the U.S.; does anyone know if they work with American Sign Language or lenga de señas mexicana? From what I have read, they are not mutually understandable...

Last time I was there in 2019 they no longer have kids staying at the ranch. Luke said the Mexican government now provides education and they can stay with their families.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.