BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Summer 2019-Post San Juanico Trip Part 3 (La Paz to Loreto)
aburruss
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2019 at 10:09 PM
Summer 2019-Post San Juanico Trip Part 3 (La Paz to Loreto)

(Continued from Part 1 and Part 2)

Thursday - Day 15

We Left Cerritos and headed for la Paz. We drove around town and explored a bit. Found a good deal at Las Colinas at the Puerta Cortez. The place was ridiculously big and nice, but they allowed dogs, and it would be a nice place to stay for a few days. We had a few things we wanted to do in the La Paz area, so a good “home base” would be nice. The complex has it’s own beach, two pools, a few restaurants, a golf course, activities for kids, etc. After checking in and exploring a bit, we had dinner at Odayaka Sushi (Carretera A Km. No. 7 Marina CostaBaja, 23060 La Paz, B.C.S., Mexico - 24.215354, -110.298209). It was just “okay”. Nothing special. Prices were fair.

Friday - Day 16

I had to run some errands and get re-stocked. I went to WalMart to stock up on a few things. I then met up with Harald (4x4abc) to bring him some goodies from the US. We ate at La Costa. (Antonio Navarro s/n, Zona Comercial, 23060 La Paz, B.C.S., Mexico - 24.153089, -110.327098) I had the bacon wrapped shrimp. It was outstanding. I wanted to find an additional spare belt for our razor, since we had blown one in San Juanico. I was sent on a trek around the northwest section of La Paz to 4 different places. Most of them said that they didn’t have them, or could get them in a week or so. I found two places that DID have them, and got quoted $250 at one place, and $400 at another place. For a $100 part in the US. I understand that these vehicles and parts are not nearly as common in Baja, and I also understand the fact that it’s probably an in-demand part.. But I wasn’t expecting a 300% markup on price! I decided that I didn’t need an extra spare THAT much!

Since we were going to be doing some exploring the next couple days, we felt it would be best, in the heat of JULY in La Paz, to find a dog sitter. We found an awesome place called Pet and Breakfast (Padre Kino 2630 Col. Los Olivos La Paz, Baja California Sur 23040 - 24.139533, -110.306079). They had great reviews on Facebook, so I felt comfortable with them. The staff was fantastic, communicated GREAT on WhatsApp about what I needed (I had talked to them ahead of time, and I had all the Vet paperwork for my pups). I dropped off the dogs and some food, and told them that I’d be back the next day. Throughout the rest of the day, I received numerous pictures of my dogs playing with other dogs there. I was also told that they were moved inside to the air conditioned room, since it was too hot outside. I *HIGHLY* recommend this place!

After this, we drove out to Punta Arenas and let the kids play on a very nice secluded beach. The dogs would have had fun here, but the following day’s plans wouldn’t be so dog friendly! After we left the beach, we drove around the area for a bit, checking things out and exploring. It was getting dark, so we decided to call our exploring off for the day, and head back to town.

For dinner, we went to Azul Mariano Restaurante (Carretera a Pichilingue km 7.5, Local 41, Playa del Palmira, 23060 La Paz, B.C.S., Mexico - 24.214734, -110.298537). Hands down, this was the best service I’ve received at ANY restaurant in Baja (or even the states, that I can recall). The food was great; I got the steak. I have no idea what everyone else got, but they loved it. The quality of my food and the service made me forget to take notes. :)

Saturday - Day 17

Based on feedback from some on this site, primarily JZ, we decided to make the trek up to San Evaristo. I had done this section of Baja a couple times before in the NORRA races, and it’s definitely one of my favorites. Before we left cell service, I received a WhatsApp message from our dog sitter with a message and 5 photos telling me how our pups were doing. It was VERY comforting to know that things were going well. Once we were on the road, I realized how very nice it was to take it slow and actually enjoy the scenery. When we arrived at San Evaristo, the ladies at Maggie and Lupé’s (24.906144, -110.705840) jumped immediately to get us served. We sat right at the water, and enjoyed some tacos while the kids swam in the amazingly calm and clear bay.

After a relaxing afternoon, we headed back to civilization to pick up the dogs and get back to our condo in La Paz. When we arrived to get the dogs, they were super excited to see us, and we could tell that they had a great time. The total bill for the day and half that the dogs were there… $480 MXN. What a bargain! Once back home, the girls enjoyed a well-deserved evening swim in the pool (which we had all to ourselves)

We went to dinner at La Barraccia (Carretera a Pichilingue Km. 7.5 local 16, Marina costa baja, Colina del Sol, 23010 La Paz, B.C.S., Mexico - 24.215802, -110.298563). Food was decent, service was decent. Nothing to write home about.

Sunday - Day 18

We packed up and headed out to go to Loreto for a couple of days. The plan was to stay a bit south of town, since i’ve stayed in town before. Exploring, right?? I decided to try the Hotel Tripui. When we pulled up, there was a lack of signs and directions, but an open gate. We pulled into the gate to find a spot to park. It turns out, this was NOT the hotel, but a mobile home complex NEXT DOOR to the hotel. Unfortunately, once you were inside the gate, you could NOT get back outside the gate without a clicker or code to the gate. I parked and wandered across the lawn to the hotel. I asked someone in the bar, who directed me to someone back over at the mobile home park. I wandered around the park for about 10 minutes looking for someone to let us out. I couldn’t find anyone. I wandered BACK over to the hotel and went to the front desk. The man there seemed annoyed at me for driving into the wrong street, and asked why I went in there. I apologized for my mistake, and asked how I could get out. He told me to wait. As I was waiting, I looked around the hotel. It looked very nice, secure, and a decent amount of guests. However the vibe I got from the people working there was not good.. and I felt like they were not interested in my business; I was a hassle to them. We decided to keep on going. We got into Loreto, and decided to stay at a place we’ve been before, but is always a safe bet.. Hotel La Misión (Calle Rosendo Robles S/N, Centro, 23880 Loreto, B.C.S., Mexico - 26.012324, -111.339533).

Monday - Day 19

We took the family and dogs and went to breakfast at Mi Loreto (And. Juan M. de Salvatierra 50, Centro, 23880 Loreto, B.C.S., Mexico - 26.009920, -111.343720). The girls got pancakes, and told us that these were “the best pancakes of the WHOLE TRIP!!”. Everything about this breakfast was fantastic.

Once we finished breakfast, we were off to Agua Verde. We enjoyed exploring the town there, the girls and dogs went to play on the beach for a long time. As I was leaving, I forgot to put the truck in 4WD, and got slightly buried on the beach. Some locals came and helped us get unstuck. A few dollars and some cold beverages were given in return, and we were all happy. We found a little taco stand on the far east end of the beach. Google shows it as “Cafetaria Agua Verde”. (25.513122, -111.067225). They had almost NO food there. Everything we asked for, they didn’t have. I think they had enough stuff to make 1 fish taco, one carne taco, and one quesadilla. No soda, no water. Not sure exactly what they were selling… but I think we bought them out of everything. The fish taco was great, the carne taco was pretty bad. But, the people were really nice and it was what was available.

After the long trip back up to the highway, we proceeded to drive up to San Javier Mission. This was great. We got there JUST before it closed, and got to walk around inside. One of the local tour guides (probably just some random guy) took us on a walk back to see the old olive trees, and show us the historical stuff back behind the mission. The girls got popsicles from the lady selling them back by the olive tree, and it was a great opportunity to see things. I had a great time talking to our guide about the history of the place.

The girls wanted to play in the local park, and within 2 minutes had already made friends with some of the locals, and they were playing on the swings and slide with them. I love that our girls are so social and able to make friends with their peers, regardless of race, language, culture, etc… It’s simply kids playing. Such innocence…

We headed back down the hill to town. We got in a bit late. I walked up the street from the hotel at about 845PM to the Giggling Dolphin (Calle Benito Juarez, Centro, 23889 Loreto, B.C.S., Mexico - 26.011700, -111.341284). I got some fish and carne tacos to go, and took them back to the hotel. Decent food, nice, friendly staff.

CONTINUED... in Part 4!

[Edited on 10-25-2019 by aburruss]
aburruss
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2019 at 10:16 PM

Sorry for delay in posting this. LOTS going on.. Better late than never, I hope!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-25-2019 at 07:08 AM

Yes, this was worth waiting for!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-25-2019 at 07:21 AM

Part 4 of 4: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=93458

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.