Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: El Marmol
bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2019 at 01:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  

"from El Marmol down to the shoreline" - only about 12 miles as the crow flies. Would be fun to try. I'd only like to go one-way however - need some support on the coast side. I'm sure the indigenous did it - I've seen shells between El Volcan and the mine.

Indigenous got water at tinajas in the mountains and gathered shellfish along the coast in this area. Have never been there but would love to hike up the Volcan arroyo and beyond, maybe just a day hike in and back because logistics are a challenge, definitely spot country. It is a 2500' elevation drop in twelve miles and some very steep slopes above the arroyos, vertical landscape -- also have heard no place to park at the trailhead so would need someone to drop off and pick up. I would be game if any people want to do a group trip. bajaric
bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2019 at 02:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Another onyx mine (small scale) was shown on maps from 1970 era to the north of Gonzaga.

[Edited on 12-17-2019 by David K]

San Judas --
Fun fact, onyx mined at El Marmol can still be seen today in the lobby of the Spreckels Theater in San Diego

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-17-2019 at 02:18 PM

If you recall the Baja Nomad Lost Mission Search of 2011, we camped off the road (4 miles from El Mármol) and hiked the few miles to the place 'elbeau' thought he saw walls, and elaborate structures, on Google Earth). 'bajalou' brought his quad but boulders soon prevented him from using it, as we hiked down the arroyo. See Part 1 & 2:
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=52696
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=52735

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2019 at 02:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaric  
Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Another onyx mine (small scale) was shown on maps from 1970 era to the north of Gonzaga.

San Judas --
Fun fact, onyx mined at El Marmol can still be seen today in the lobby of the Spreckels Theater in San Diego

See it between Okie Landing and Salvatierra:

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 12-17-2019 at 06:08 PM

someone mentioned 2 cemeteries at El Marmol
I have never seen any
does anyone here know
David?

Harald Pietschmann
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2019 at 06:47 PM

bajaric, I would love to do that hike, I think an over night or two would be even better. I wouldn't be able to do it until next year sometime, and I'm usually good for 16+ mile days in the Sierras. That area would be a challenge because of all of the rock scrambling that would be required! I bet there are some amazing sights to see!
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 12-17-2019 at 06:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
someone mentioned 2 cemeteries at El Marmol
I have never seen any
does anyone here know
David?

here's one close to the schoolhouse.....

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2019 at 07:43 PM

Yes, the cemetery is west of the schoolhouse, just south of the road.

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2019 at 09:06 PM

about here?

Attachment: Cementerio.kmz (683B)
This file has been downloaded 170 times

Harald Pietschmann
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2019 at 09:09 PM

how about the second one?

Harald Pietschmann
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2019 at 08:30 AM

There's a lot to see and explore around El Marmol than just the old school building. Is that the only thing that is fenced now? There are other historic structure foundations, the cemeteries on the hill nearby. El Volcan with the pools has been greatly disturbed - I was shocked when I saw it a few years ago and decided would never return. But would appreciate a current update. It was one of my favorite camping spots.
2500 ft. elevation in 12 miles is very gradual. There must be trails that the indigenous used, so if they can be found, no steep climbs, and likely not have to go willy-nilly on a cross-country route. Would rather go downhill, one way of course! The onyx at the San Judas mine is lesser quality as that at El Marmol. Interesting site though.

[Edited on 12-18-2019 by wilderone]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2019 at 09:07 AM
1976 & 2006

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
about here?

Yes!

Here are two photos at the cemetery from the July 1976 trip with my parents and girlfriend:

OK, that's all I could find from that 1976 trip (I also went in 1974 and 1975).

Here is the cemetery in 2006, 30 years later:

Note the schoolhouse in the background.

[Edited on 12-18-2019 by David K]

bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2019 at 09:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
bajaric, I would love to do that hike, I think an over night or two would be even better. I wouldn't be able to do it until next year sometime, and I'm usually good for 16+ mile days in the Sierras. That area would be a challenge because of all of the rock scrambling that would be required! I bet there are some amazing sights to see!

Hi Advrider, it would be an adventure, for sure. However, upon further consideration I think a little too much for me. I could not hike 16 miles if a bear was chasing me. From my experience hiking in the area (coming up from the bottom) while it would seem straightforward to just follow the bottom of the arroyo there are many spots where you have to find a way around ledges and boulders and so forth and it is time consuming to find the right path. If you like rocks it is a great place. Lots and lots of rocks. I might be interested in a day hike to the geyser and a little ways beyond it and to the west, scout out the top part but gonna have to take a pass on bushwacking 12 miles across the divide and down to the sea..

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2019 at 08:44 PM

I'm up for any kind of hiking, I've been pushing my miles in preparation for a through hike of the PCT. The rock's are hard on the feet and the body so I wouldn't want to push much more then 12 myself. I might run out that way in March on my bike and take a look around. Keep in touch if you plan something.
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 1-2-2020 at 12:46 PM

I always love a side trip to El Marmol. On the side of the road opposite the school we always find chunks of onyx. The graveyard is interesting to walk around - we NEVER take onyx from graveyard area. When I drove past the little shop near the turnoff in June it looked to be back in business, but it was 6:00 AM so I didn't want to wake anyone up. Anyone know if it is indeed open for business?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2020 at 12:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaMama  
I always love a side trip to El Marmol. On the side of the road opposite the school we always find chunks of onyx. The graveyard is interesting to walk around - we NEVER take onyx from graveyard area. When I drove past the little shop near the turnoff in June it looked to be back in business, but it was 6:00 AM so I didn't want to wake anyone up. Anyone know if it is indeed open for business?

Oh, good news... That is Rancho Sonora (Km. 149), and they were closed up in June 2017. I hope others will confirm they are selling onyx (and meals), again.

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.