BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 19 days in Baja road trip - HELP!
smcoconutz

sad.gif posted on 11-21-2019 at 03:30 PM
19 days in Baja road trip - HELP!

Greetings!
I'm going to Baja (north and south) Dec. 13, 2019 until Jan 10, 2020 and I desperately could need some help!

I'm a bit a budget backpacker (I'm a low-income teacher) but for this trip I'll be renting a car in TJ on 12/23 and driving directly to Ensenada for one night (23-24). Planning to go to the Bufadora. Anything else worthwhile?

Then I'm moving to San Quentin for one night (12/24-25) to visit the Lobera. Anything else I'm missing?

Then I'm kinda stuck because 12/25 is Christmas and I want to go to Bahia de los Angeles. There are no places really listed on Airbnb. Do you think I can just drive in on Christmas and find a hotel room? And how much do you think it would be? I found a place on Tripadvisor where I can rent a palapa on the beach but I'm still waiting for them to get back to me.

Also, is there any good thing to do in Bahia de los Angeles? I was mainly just going there so I wouldn't have to drive 10 hours all the way to Guerrero Negro or San Isidro. Places for San Isidro look booked online but I could stay in a hotel. Again do you think I can just roll up to San Isidro and book a hotel on the day of Christmas? Which would be a better bet: San Isidro or Bahia de los Angeles?

I'd like to book a tour with Kuyima to see the whales in the lagoon but I've written them and haven't heard back yet.

Anyway, I've booked a room in Mulege for 12/26-27. Any recommendations here for hikes/tours?

From 12/27 I haven't booked anything yet but I was thinking of spending a few nights in Loreto (snorkeling of course) and La Paz (snorkeling again). I'd also like to spend a few nights in Todos Santos to go surfing (beginner).

I need to be back to TJ by Jan. 9th.

What should I do?

1) Is it better (especially if I'm on a budget) to just wait and walk up to the day tours when I arrive in the city? I know it is more safe to book online in advance but also more expensive and I prefer the most local experience.

2) Are there any overnight hiking or kayaking tours you'd recommend?

3) Will tours allow me to join a group since I'm traveling solo? I obviously don't want to pay for 2 or a private tour.

I do not want to spend anytime in Cabo.

Please help with your specific tour companies / local guides. I am a student and teacher.

Thank you so much!
Stephen
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-21-2019 at 04:39 PM

Stephen,
There is so much more research you could get done before this trip. Just reading the Trip Reports Forum here on Nomad can assist a bunch.
Most of Baja is off-grid so Internet or cell phones are not in place or used as much as in the cities, at least.
Going alone, a bit in the dark, may be a great and fun way to discover Baja?
For many, they prefer to know all the answers before leaving... No matter what you do, a Baja adventure always seems to turn out to one of the greatest anyone has ever had.
Use my website to help plan on places to visit: www.vivabaja.com
It all depends on what you are interested in seeing or doing.
La Lobera cannot be reached in a standard rental car. The road will be too badly washed out. It is 3.0 miles from the highway and you can drive to the big gully, maybe... about 2 miles in.
Anyway, after reading some more, come back with questions...
Have a blast... Do see the museum in L.A. Bay!

When you say "San Isidro", do you mean San Ignacio?

[Edited on 11-21-2019 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 11-21-2019 at 04:44 PM

WOW! Welcome to Nomads.
SQ there is a great oyster place on the outside bay, when the road "T's" turn right and it's the place with the house next to the bay.
https://www.facebook.com › ... › Seafood Restaurant
Yes, you can go to BdLA Christmas. make sure you fill up with gas, some stations might not be open. Go to Archalon (1) or Daggets, both have patapas for rent.
There are plenty places to camp or get a hotel room in San Ignacio.
You are to early for whales. If there are any they would most likely be in GN.
Go to Cabo Pulmo for snorkeling.
Most of Baja is come as you are, let's do it now. Boats are arranged the day before.
There are plenty of places that offer kayaking, just ask.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-21-2019 at 05:23 PM

Here is an article on La Lobera, but is a few years old now. The seafood operation went out of business there by 2016 and no maintenance has been done to the 3-mile road in since. So, ignore the 2WD in dry weather ok part. https://www.bajabound.com/bajaadventures/bajatravel/la_lober...

You may find some of my other monthly articles on Baja Travel and History interesting or helpful: https://www.bajabound.com/bajaadventures/bajatravel/

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajarich
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2019 at 07:07 PM

Don't forget to get a FMM tourist permit when you cross the border so your legal down there. Also, don't plan on driving 70 mph all the way down. Hwy 1 has a lot of slow areas, plus the road is not that smooth.
Allow yourself extra time. Delays can happen, road conditions can change.
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 11-21-2019 at 07:19 PM

point south and drive until you feel warmth!
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2019 at 07:46 PM

What MMC said for bay of LA palapa's, if they are full Costa del sole is a good place for a room in town. Davids reports have a tone of info, plus other reports on here will help.
You will be able to find a room in San Ignacio in one of the hotels, if San Ignacio B&B has a room take it, they aren't cheap but it's a cool place. I don't know the new owners but the food use to be off of the hook, especially on holidays....

[Edited on 11-22-2019 by advrider]
HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2019 at 08:37 PM

Mulege area hikes - http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=92391

Cave paintings tours with Salvador would be a great tour. Just ask where you are staying and they can hook you up.

smcoconutz

[*] posted on 11-22-2019 at 06:29 AM

Wow, thank you everyone taking a little time to respond. I love the idea of going with the flow as I actually hate pre-planning trips. I just want to make sure I have a place to sleep at night and check off my priorities. You've given me some confidence that I can definitely find a place on Christmas in either Bahia de los Angeles or San Ignacio.
BAJA.DESERT.RAT
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2019 at 09:54 AM

HOLA and welcome to nomad,

" Going alone, a bit in the dark " does NOT mean to drive in the dark.

make sure you have MEXICAN insurance before you go and take the time read www.vivabaja.com as david k details so much about baja.

the winter months can get cold so take a sleeping bag, blankets and water.

be aware that from about december 15 until around january 15, almost all businesses shut down or are very spotty except many taquerias and restaurants. try and get reservations for wherever you plan on staying.

hopefully with your frugal budget, it may allow you to reserve well in advance, a four wheel jeep or similar vehicle...just in case ?

have a great journey,

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2019 at 10:08 AM

You are going to have fun! Welcome to bajanomads!!

Main pointers:

never drive at night - cows and drunks
gas up in el rosario and be sure to visit Mama Espinoza's restaurant - tons of memorabilia inside.
car insurance is a must
visa at border is a must
have a spot tracker if you happen to end up off the grid

We just did a long trip throughout Europe and it was easy to find hotels on the fly. If you like a place, you stay longer. If you aren't so pleased, move on.
Reservations are usually flexible in Mexico, should you have to change a date, have the pphone number handy.

Give us a trip report when you are done so we can know what the highlights were. Have a blast.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
bajamary1952
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2019 at 12:31 PM

If driving a regular car it might be very tricky to drive up to La Lobera. Last time I drove it in a front wheel drive SUV it was difficult in some areas & not sure about now with the rain.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2019 at 02:03 PM

You have a fairly decent map, right? You don't need a group to hike with. Hike around the boulder fields near Catavina - see the pictographs there - hike up the arroyo from there as well. Stop at the mission sites (San Borja is nice - hike around there - ask for a tour to the pictographs). Consider going to Bahia Asuncion - miles of beach to hike - rooms available. Don't pay to see whales with Kumeyai (sp?) - it is a bit early for whales, but drive out to the whale launch just outside of Guerrero Negro (R turn - big sign). You can go out on a boat once there. Try to La Serinidad hotel in Mulege - see above post about a tour to the pictograph caves. Once in Loreto - drive up to the Mission San Javier - quintessential Baja landscape along the way (park and set out on a hike). La Paz for snorkeling at the Espiritu Islas - maybe whale shark tour, snorkel Balandra beach. Check out the turtle hatchling release in Todos Santos. Check out the Buena Vista Yurts 3 mi. south of Los Barriles - couple blocks from the beach, individual spring-fed outdoor tubs.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 11-22-2019 at 04:10 PM

in Bahia de Los Angeles there is a hostel too and campo ARchelon is awesome and should have room there.
It is too early for whales in January in San Ignacio. There might be a few in Scammons Lagoon in Guerrero Negro and you can camp at the inner lagoon and grab a panga there...but it is $50 and palapas are $10 a night. The entrance is a few miles south of Guerrero Negro and it is a half hour drive out to the lagoon.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
smcoconutz

[*] posted on 11-28-2019 at 11:16 AM

Thank you for the tips everyone!
San Ignacio is out!
Guerrero Negro seems like a better option for seeing whales.

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 11-28-2019 at 12:14 PM

If you are into camping out then Catavina is Heaven on earth!!
Lots of side roads in the Northern segment
Sleeping under the stars, next to a boojum, about as good as it gets.

Get a ways off the road, the truckers wail past all night long, avoid areas with downhills on the highway, those guys love their Jake brakes.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2019 at 12:30 PM

Several major dirt roads north of Catavina that you can drive down and camp also you can go out by rancho santa Inez and camp. That area is amazing and the stars are something to see, no light pollution in that area.
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 11-28-2019 at 01:05 PM

Parque del Palmerito, not much left there but great camping among the palms..enter at the geo dome.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.