BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: San Ignacio southbound checkpoint-trying to put bag of marijuana in your car
ridendude

[*] posted on 1-5-2020 at 12:13 PM

We went through yesterday (south), fully expecting a hassle. FJ Cruiser with a military trailer. Myself, partner and perro enohado. We were just waved through like everyone else both North and Southbound. Maybe it was the BC (Canada) plates and the plastic skeleton and skull on the dash...??;)
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 1-5-2020 at 03:29 PM

Perro enohado? That doesn't translate to anything for me, how about enojado? My 90 pound dog is not angry, or even protective, but I get waved through most of the time anyway.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
ridendude

[*] posted on 1-6-2020 at 04:03 PM

AK, my misspelling. Perrito Enojado. Angry little dog. He's a 17lb miniature schnauzer that thinks he's 10 feet tall and bulletproof and has a problem with everybody. He's the happiest and most chill little dog around, until there's somebody else around. We got him as a SPCA rescue, so he's got some issues.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 1-6-2020 at 04:24 PM

'Bravo' is the word I have heard used to describe a protective, or aggressive dog.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
hdn2mx
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2020 at 08:37 PM
San Ignacio check point

Around Feb 18/19 a young couple, good friends of mine, who were driving south to Cabo, had the same thing happen. They had spent about 2 weeks in Baja Norte exploring/surfing and when they drove through the checkpoint, they were asked to pull over. They were in a van, fully packed, just the 2 of them, had to unpack their vehicle and then one of the military produced a small bag of weed and said it was theirs. Scared the heck out of them, they don't even smoke. They ended up paying some money to get released and were able to continue south. Needless to say, after 11 days around Cabo, they were stressed out thinking of heading north back through the San Ignacio check point. After a quick Conejo stop and driving through San Juanico, taking the north way out of there, they made it safely through San Ignacio without any hassles. Just a heads up...be safe!
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2020 at 08:56 PM

I"ve written this before. Here's the short version:

driving down with a friend who followed me in his car through this checkpoint. My dog was sick, and dying, and I was sick with a cold, had aspirin/sinus OTC meds on dash. 3 guys went through everything, very detailed, did not have me unpack car. When friend (MX) drove through behind me, he asked them what's up. One said they smelled pot but couldn't find it. (I had roasted coffee so that and the windows up for hours, plus sickness, made for a gnarly smell, I guess.)

Once going N., last toll before TJ, an impromptu checkpoint flagged me over after the toll. One guy went through my car saying ''mota, mota, where's the mota?'' I said, and kept saying I have no mota. He said ''yes you have mota. Where is the mota?'' Kept saying you're wrong, I have no mota. Lasted for 15 minutes or so. He finally gave up.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
ElCap
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2020 at 09:40 PM

I went through southbound on 2/16/20 and had another unpleasant experience. We waited about 30 minutes while they went through 2 different vans ahead of us, each had just a single occupant. They finally pulled them off to the side as there was at least 5 big rig trucks and a handful of vehicles backed up. The guy who searched my truck (I was with my wife and dog, and a full truck of camping gear, surfboards, etc.) was generally pretty rude, opened multiple bags, didn't return items to bags or zip them up. He really liked a bottle opener on my keychain - it was made from a brass bullet casing. He kept going back to hold it and looking at me. I speak decent spanish and told him it was made by my Mexican friend who was in the Mexican military, and that he couldn't have it - this went on for a while. They let us through and I rolled up next to the guy in the van and he said that they planted a bag of white powder in his van - he was absolutely panicked. I told him to just keep saying "no tengo drogas" and don't pay any money. I did see him later that evening in the SI plaza - he was rattled but said that he was finally let to pass and didn't pay any money. He was a long-haired guy in his 20's, traveling alone and with little or no Spanish - evidently a perfect target.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.