Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 4X4 & whales March 2020
boe4fun
Super Nomad

Mood: Circling the drain........

[*] posted on 12-18-2019 at 08:44 AM
4X4 & whales March 2020

Dates are subject to change, contact Amy at the Vagabundos office:

Only 4X4 or high clearance 2 wheel drive vehicles will be allowed! Camping at Potrero Regional Park the night before crossing into Mexico.
Day 1 (March 3, 2020): 9:00 AM, cross at Tecate, get FMM’s, then on to El Trailero restaurant in El Sausal for lunch, through Ensenada via the malecon, stops at Walmart/Costco for supplies if needed, and at the museum at San Vicente Ferrer, then on to Ceilito Lindo for happy hour/dinner. Camp at Fidel’s El Pabellon on the beach.
Day 2 (March 4, 2020): Stop at the ruins at Misión San Fernando Velecata and the ruins at El Marmol, then on to Cataviña to explore the Shrine of the Virgin and the cave paintings. Late lunch at La Misión Hotel. View the Desert Garden display at the hotel and explore the surroundings at Rancho Santa Inés. Camping at Rancho Santa Inés that night.
Day 3 (March 5, 2020): On to Bahía de los Ángeles, camping at Daggetts. Excursion to the estuary south of town to collect clams. Pot luck and clam bake at Daggetts that evening.
Day 4 (March 6, 2020): On to the Misión San Borja to explore the Misión ruins and the church.
Day 5 (March 7, 2020): On to Guerrero Negro.
Day 6 (March 8, 2020): Whale watching. Gazing into the eye of a whale is a humbling, life changing encounter you will never forget! You will not only see great numbers of gray whales up close and personal, but also learn their story…what they are doing as well as the history and ecology of the world’s largest calving lagoon Ojo de LIebre.
Day 7 (March 9, 2020): Ranch tour, abandoned gold mine and cave paintings.
Day 8 (March 10, 2020): Travel north to Alejandro’s near Santa Rosalillita to camp.
Day 9 (March 11, 2020): On to San Quintin.
Day 10 (March 12, 2020): Return to the border

Two dirt roads diverged in Baja and I, I took the one less graveled by......

Soy ignorante, apático y ambivalente. No lo sé y no me importa, ni modo.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-18-2019 at 09:24 AM

Hi Paul,
That museum in San Vicente is neat (north side of plaza). There is also a little museum at the mission, by the parking area.

Unless it has been opened, there is a locked gate that prevents getting to the mission or petroglyphs at San Fernando. It was reported locked in late 2018. When I went in Feb. 2019 with the America Unearthed TV crew, I had arranged with Ed Lusk in El Rosario (Baja's Best Bed & Breakfast) to come along with the key... as he knows the ejido people there. The gate is about halfway in, on the 2.6 mile road from Hwy. 1 to the mission.

I am sure you will have a fun trip!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

boe4fun
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2019 at 10:08 AM

Thanks David, This trip is being set up (without fees) through the Vagabundos Del Mar. I’ll correspond with Ed to see if we can gain entrance to the ruins and petroglyphs, also I’ll forward this to Amy at the Vagabundos office who’s coordinating all of this. I’ve been to the museum on the mission grounds many times, but didn’t know that there is one in town as well. Where exactly is it? Thank you, Paul.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2019 at 10:17 AM

Quote: Originally posted by boe4fun  
Thanks David, This trip is being set up (without fees) through the Vagabundos Del Mar. I’ll correspond with Ed to see if we can gain entrance to the ruins and petroglyphs, also I’ll forward this to Amy at the Vagabundos office who’s coordinating all of this. I’ve been to the museum on the mission grounds many times, but didn’t know that there is one in town as well. Where exactly is it? Thank you, Paul.

The museum is quite neat, it is on the right (north) side of the street going west from Hwy. 1, on the north side of the town plaza. See the photos in my Trip #7 report of 2017... http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=87976

or here:

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 12-18-2019 at 09:01 PM

Hey David my back yard and great wheeling place too
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2019 at 09:09 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
Hey David my back yard and great wheeling place too

Indeed it is, Larry, and these photos I took while I was your guest.
I think every Baja town has little 'secrets' that should be exposed for more to enjoy or appreciate!

The Anita Espinoza museum in El Rosario is one... opened upon request. Who knows if it is still in place today? I toured it in April 2006, two pages of photos are here:
http://vivabaja.com/406/

advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2019 at 07:42 PM

Sounds like a very cool trip, this is the first time I've heard of Vagabundos.
A little research shows they are based out of Rio Vista, not far from where I live. Anyone have any experience with them or their services? Worth joining? The trip above looks well planed and set at a reasonable pace for enjoyment.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 12-19-2019 at 08:13 PM
Vagabundos Del Mar

They have been around for ever, my parents were very active with them through the 70s and 80s! I first joined their club in 1986, but have not used their services in quite a long time.

I thought they were great, but my wants and needs have changed since then.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 12-19-2019 at 08:21 PM

I wish that I had the time off from work..this is a good itinerary.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2019 at 08:35 PM

I wont be able to make this year either but when I retire next year it will be game on in the new Gladiator.…
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2019 at 09:25 AM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
Sounds like a very cool trip, this is the first time I've heard of Vagabundos.
A little research shows they are based out of Rio Vista, not far from where I live. Anyone have any experience with them or their services? Worth joining? The trip above looks well planed and set at a reasonable pace for enjoyment.

Vagabundos was more for the fishing and boating crowd and Discover Baja Travel Club (in San Diego) was more for the land travelers, however they both serve boath boaters and RVers. Paulina has been a long time Vag promoter. Maybe go visit the Vag office. Discover Baja has an office that anyone (even non-members) can walk into and buy Baja books and maps. Joining their club gains a group discount on the insurance and other products.

bajamedic
Nomad

Mood: Just waitin for baja

[*] posted on 12-20-2019 at 10:57 PM

I am seriously considering doing this trip, just a couple of questions. At our "camping" locations, will there be restaurants nearby or do we need to plan for cooking on site and when is the latest that I can actually sign up if my schedules allow me to participate. JH

[Edited on 12-21-2019 by bajamedic]
Mother of Dragons
Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 1-17-2020 at 11:12 AM

Bump for Paul Boe
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2020 at 10:01 AM

I saw the sign for the museum and had never seen anything about it posted here til now. Very fun to see! Can't wait to have enough time to stop by for a visit.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
boe4fun
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2020 at 10:36 AM

Here is the (outdated) itinerary from the Vagabundos Chubasco magazine, contact Amy at their office for more/updated info:
BAJA 4x4 ADVENTURE TOUR
March 3 - 12, 2020

You will not want to miss this adventure!
Call the office at 800-474-2252
to reserve your spot.

Only 4X4 or high clearance 2 wheel drive vehicles will be allowed! Camping at Potrero Regional Park the night before crossing into Mexico.

Day 1 (March 3, 2020): 9:00 AM, cross at Tecate, get FMM’s, then on to El Trailero restaurant in El Sausal for lunch, through Ensenada via the Malecon, stops at Walmart/Costco for supplies if needed, and at the museum at San Vicente Ferrer, then on to Ceilito Lindo for happy hour/dinner.

Day 2 (March 4, 2020): Stop at the ruins at Misión San Fernando Velecata and the ruins at El Marmol, then on to Cataviña to explore the Shrine of the Virgin and the cave paintings. Late lunch at La Misión Hotel. View the Desert Garden display at the hotel and explore the surroundings at Rancho Santa Inés. Camping at Rancho Santa Inés that night.

Day 3 (March 5, 2020): On to Bahía de Los Ángeles, camping at Daggett's. Pot luck and clam bake at Daggett's that evening.

Day 4 (March 6, 2020): On to the Misión San Borja to explore the Misión ruins and the church.

Day 5 (March 7, 2020): On to Guerrero Negro.

Day 6 (March 8, 2020): Whale watching. Gazing into the eye of a whale is a humbling, life changing encounter you will never forget! You will not only see great numbers of gray whales up close and personal, but also learn their story…what they are doing as well as the history and ecology of the world’s largest calving lagoon Ojo de LIebre.

Day 7 (March 9, 2020): Ranch tour, abandoned gold mine and cave paintings.

Day 8 (March 10, 2020): Travel north to Alejandro’s near Santa Rosalillita to camp.

Day 9 (March 11, 2020): On to San Quintin.

Day 10 (March 12, 2020): Return to the border

[Edited on 1-18-2020 by boe4fun]

boe4fun
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2020 at 02:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajamedic  
I am seriously considering doing this trip, just a couple of questions. At our "camping" locations, will there be restaurants nearby or do we need to plan for cooking on site and when is the latest that I can actually sign up if my schedules allow me to participate. JH

Most all camping locations will have restaurants in close proximity, except San Borja. Contact Amy at the Vagabundos office for more info.

bajamedic
Nomad

Mood: Just waitin for baja

[*] posted on 1-18-2020 at 07:05 PM

boe4fun, I have signed up with Amy at Vagabundos and I am looking forward to the trip. There will be myself and a friend, we will be driving my 4X4 Tacoma or possibly my Jeep Wrangler. We are coming prepared to camp out and hoping for a motel every once in a while for showers and a real bed. JH

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.