Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Seguro Popular change
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-3-2020 at 11:37 AM
Seguro Popular change

This was written by a guy who has a blog - interesting changes in the Mexican health care system:

https://qroo.us/2020/01/02/mexico-a-look-at-the-health-progr...

Posted By: Qroo Paul January 2, 2020
When Mexican President Andrés Manuel Obrador López Obrador — commonly referred to as AMLO –first announced over a year ago that he would be replacing Seguro Popular with something new, expats who relied on that program to meet their healthcare needs naturally became concerned.
At the time, it was unclear if foreigners would be eligible to participate in the new program, and if so, at what cost? Well, now we have some answers.
So Long Seguro Popular, Hello el INSABI
As of January 1st, 2020, Seguro Popular no longer exists. It has been replaced by el Instituto Nacional de Salud para el Bienestar , or el INSABI for short.
This is a substantial change in the law that extends free healthcare and medications to anyone not affiliated with one of the other Mexican social security health programs (IMSS, ISSSTE).
Here are some highlights:
It’s 100% free
The annual fees associated with Seguro Popular have been eliminated. Anyone who qualifies (see below) can obtain free healthcare and medications through el INSABI.
It’s much easier to qualify now
In the past, many foreigners have been denied continuing coverage under Seguro Popular for a variety of reasons. There are only three requirements now:
Be a person located inside Mexico
Not be part of the social security system (IMSS or ISSSTE)
Present one of the following: Mexican Voter ID card, CURP or birth certificate
Only Mexican citizens and lawful residents will have a CURP, which is an alphanumeric identity code, but the federal health law (Artículo 77 bis) now states that if the person does not have a CURP, that a birth certificate will suffice.
There is no need to sign-up to participate
Under Seguro Popular, it was necessary to sign-up in order to receive benefits. All you have to do is present one of the documents listed in the previous section.
Let’s Wrap This Up
Since this new system has only been in place for less than 48 hours now, it’s impossible to know how this will work in the real world.
The good news is that as the law reads now, there is no requirement that a person has to be a citizen or even have Mexican residency to participate. The bad news is that could change in the near future as supporting regulations and internal agency policies are enacted.

[Edited on 3-7-2020 by BajaBlanca]

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2020 at 10:47 AM

I wonder if things have become clear-er since January 1. Federal Health Act 77 bis 7 does indeed now say "located" instead of "resides", and allows birth certificate or other " los documentos que se establezcan en las disposiciones reglamentarias" but it is not clear whether such an ID has to be Mexican. They didn't have enough funds to help members enrolled under the previous criteria and would have a lot more difficulties trying to cover everybody who is "located" in Mexico.

I didn't read the whole revised Act, but eliminating annual fees doesn't mean eliminating a (substantial) co-pay or user's fee previously existing for members in higher income tier. This could also be covered in separate addendums and schedules.

[Edited on 3-7-2020 by Alm]
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2020 at 10:49 AM

When we went last month for my insulin. the nurse/secretary asked me if we were Mexican citizens. We are, but perhaps this is indicative of a change.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2020 at 12:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
When we went last month for my insulin. the nurse/secretary asked me if we were Mexican citizens.

It looks like they are trying to shift an emphasis from legal residency to some kind of Mexican identity, but until they clarify the list of acceptable ID's, this will be a mess.
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2020 at 04:55 PM

This could be significant for Nomad wannabes like me, who will likely spend time on both sides of the border once I retire. I know many in that situation choose to have elective procedures in the U.S., but a klutz like me has to plan on emergencies from time to time.

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.