Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Papa Fernadez boat launch
AJ the Roofer

Mood: Prepping for a baja adventure

[*] posted on 1-4-2020 at 10:33 PM
Papa Fernadez boat launch

Hola Amigos, I'm heading South at the end of January w/ my Catalina 22. Sailing to LTO on a 10-12 day voyage. Did it last year from San Felipe. I'm hoping to launch from Papa Fernadez' down by Pta. Bufeo instead of Felipe this year. The boat is a fixed, wing keel and only drafts 2'8". Anyone have any info? I've heard the road is much better than last spring and that the Fernandez ramp should be doable, based on tide stage. Cheers
bobrehfuss
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2020 at 03:22 PM

I can’t vouch for the roads as I’ve been laid up with health issues so I haven’t driven there for over a year but the ramp will work fine for a boat with 32” draft at high tide and maybe even a little less than high but it will need to be pretty close to high tide to launch or pull your boat. I’ve never launched a sail boat there but have launched power boats over 30’ there with no prob at proper tide. It’s not a concrete ramp like SF and it’s a little tricky sometimes but will totally work.

Look for Cruz, he lives there and will meet you at the gate by the ramp and help out. His English is minimal but he launches lots of boats there and knows what’s up. The charge to launch is cheap and they can securely store your vehicle and trailer. I leave my keys with him and he backs the trailer down when I get back. Not sure how he is always ready with no prearranged day or time but when I return 3-6 days after I launch he’s always there. Of course that’s up to you depending on your comfort level.

He loves Jif creamy peanut butter, grape jelly and Lays BBQ chips. He wears XXL shirt and 38 shorts. A small investment in some or all of those things will pay big dividends. He especially likes tee shirts with cool logos.

Hope you have a fun trip and look forward to a report.

[Edited on 1-5-2020 by bobrehfuss]
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 1-5-2020 at 03:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bobrehfuss  
I can’t vouch for the roads as I’ve been laid up with health issues so I haven’t driven there for over a year but the ramp will work fine for a boat with 32” draft at high tide and maybe even a little less than high but it will need to be pretty close to high tide to launch or pull your boat. I’ve never launched a sail boat there but have launched power boats over 30’ there with no prob at proper tide. It’s not a concrete ramp like SF and it’s a little tricky sometimes but will totally work.

Look for Cruz, he lives there and will meet you at the gate by the ramp and help out. His English is minimal but he launches lots of boats there and knows what’s up. The charge to launch is cheap and they can securely store your vehicle and trailer. I leave my keys with him and he backs the trailer down when I get back. Not sure how he is always ready with no prearranged day or time but when I return 3-6 days after I launch he’s always there. Of course that’s up to you depending on your comfort level.

He loves Jif creamy peanut butter, grape jelly and Lays BBQ chips. He wears XXL shirt and 38 shorts. A small investment in some or all of those things will pay big dividends. He especially likes tee shirts with cool logos.

Hope you have a fun trip and look forward to a report.

[Edited on 1-5-2020 by bobrehfuss]

with Jay gone he's a man of leisure :lol:
freediverbrian
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2020 at 08:48 PM

Cruz is not helping at Papa's anymore he has moved on. At high tide you will be able to launch. Check the tide charts.
bobrehfuss
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2020 at 09:37 PM

Thanks Brian, I wasn’t aware of that. Good to know.
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 2-26-2020 at 10:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by freediverbrian  
Cruz is not helping at Papa's anymore he has moved on. At high tide you will be able to launch. Check the tide charts.

mi cuate Cruz is working at La Poma, stop in and say hello and have a taco if so inclined:D

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.