Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Punta Bufeo rooms/food
fudscrud
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2020 at 04:16 PM
Punta Bufeo rooms/food

Has anybody been to Punta Bufeo in the last year or so?
Are the rooms still available for a group.
Is breakfast and dinner available?

This used to be a great place with 6 or 7 rooms and the kitchen (and fridg) was open with some great cooking when Mom ran the show.
I believe Miguel, one of the sons, is running the place now.
We have a trip coming up and really don't want to stay at Alfonsinas in Gonzaga Bay for various reasons.
Any recent intel would be greatly appreciated.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-20-2020 at 04:52 PM

Contact Miguel via his Facebook page, perhaps?
https://www.facebook.com/Punta-Bufeo-Baja-California-5976804...

When I asked about meals (in 2017), they sent me to La Poma, 2 kms. north, and there the food was great food!

https://www.facebook.com/campo.lapoma

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Sr.vienes
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2020 at 05:40 PM

Fudscrud: funny you should be asking this, I just got a reply from Hotel Bufeo and they said they are closed for the whole month of February. I have stayed there twice and all was fine both times. Funnier yet my brothers lifelong nickname is Fud.
fudscrud
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2020 at 12:22 PM

Thanks guys,
We will be there in March so we will contact Miguel regarding the accommodations.
Sr Vienes, when were you last there? How were the rooms / beds holding up?
They were pretty swaybacked last time we were there but that is okay.
La Poma sounds promising. Are there rooms there?

Fud (Otis Fudpucker) put on our desert races until 2002 or 2003 when he passed away. He put out a monthly article in a local dirt rag called FudsCrud. He was an interesting bloke who really supported the bike racers.

[Edited on 1-21-2020 by fudscrud]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2020 at 01:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by fudscrud  
Thanks guys,
We will be there in March so we will contact Miguel regarding the accommodations.
Sr Vienes, when were you last there? How were the rooms / beds holding up?
They were pretty swaybacked last time we were there but that is okay.
La Poma sounds promising. Are there rooms there?

Fud (Otis Fudpucker) put on our desert races until 2002 or 2003 when he passed away. He put out a monthly article in a local dirt rag called FudsCrud. He was an interesting bloke who really supported the bike racers.

[Edited on 1-21-2020 by fudscrud]

When I was investigating every place in 2017, La Poma was a restaurant and offered camping on the beach. It was also building a house to lease and had lots available. In my trip report #3, I ate there, showed the menu and my dinner plate.

Here is photos and text from March 2017:

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=85989

Km. 133.5 is the road to La Poma, restaurant, camping palapas, lots for lease. Camping is $10 US and the owner will add the tarp to the frame when you arrive. Good idea to preserve the life of the tarps.

My lunch was great... halibut! With beer + tip, 300 pesos

I was at La Poma from 11:30-12:37 Sunday. The only customer.
The owner is the brother of the owner of Punta Bufeo, which has a small motel and landing strip for pilots... 2 kilometers south. They are related to Papa Fernandez, as well.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

fudscrud
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2020 at 01:45 PM

Thanks David, the menu looks pretty good. I just hope there are enough customers to have fresh food on hand.
"Roasted Meat" Hmm, sounds mysterious...

The owner being Miguel's brother; these must be the boys that brought in fresh fish each morning for Mama at Bufeo we would see there in the early 2000's.
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2020 at 04:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by fudscrud  
Thanks David, the menu looks pretty good. I just hope there are enough customers to have fresh food on hand.
"Roasted Meat" Hmm, sounds mysterious...

The owner being Miguel's brother; these must be the boys that brought in fresh fish each morning for Mama at Bufeo we would see there in the early 2000's.

The "roasted meat" does sound mysterious but not as mysterious as the "toast" in both the mexican combos:o.

[Edited on 1-21-2020 by chippy]
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 1-21-2020 at 05:13 PM

looks like beer and tacos are the hot setup ;)
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2020 at 05:24 PM

Beer and tacos for the win!:lol:
Chup
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2020 at 05:51 PM

Not to jack this thread - but I'm looking at a spot just north of Papa Fernandez and south of Bufeo for camping. I've attached a pic of the area from Google Maps. If anyone can tell me what this area is called - what experience you may have for camping/room/restaurant/palapas/etc.

Don't want to spend that inflated Alfonsinas/Rancho Grande bill that's happening lately.

Any info is appreciated.

Screen Shot 2020-01-21 at 6.34.39 PM.png - 245kB

[Edited on 1-22-2020 by Chup]
Sr.vienes
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-21-2020 at 06:34 PM

Fudscrud we were there in summer of 2018, the beds were good the AC was cold enough and Miguel was great. We would be staying there again if they were open. We grilled some stuff ourselves or we would have eaten at La Poma, David K’s pictures made us want to try it but it was really hot and we had three big dogs with us.

Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 1-22-2020 at 05:47 PM

I stayed there just before Christmas. Miguel and Rosario, his wife, are doing well.

Rooms are still good. Beds are ok (I slept in camper, wife and kids in room) On demand hot water is nice. Dinner at La Poma was very nice as usual. Clementina is a great cook (camerones en mojo de ajo)

Suerte, TT
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2020 at 06:30 PM

Yes, camp at the beach over the point from Papa Fernandez' place, facing the gulf. It is secure with limited access (rope across the road).
See my photos from Trip #1 report of 2017. El Faro (near where you pointed out, is pretty gloomy looking, abandoned fish camp, no sand beach. The Los Frailes well is between Papa's and El Faro. Rumored to date back to mission times. Spanish ships anchored in Gonzaga Bay offloading supplies and people for the missions in Northern Baja and San Diego. The warehouse outlines are still visible between Papa's and Alfonsina's.

[Edited on 1-23-2020 by David K]

Chup
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2020 at 07:07 PM

Thanks for the feedback. Appreciate it.
fudscrud
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2020 at 09:17 PM

Thanks all for the great info. It sounds like Punta Bufeo is open (mostly) for business.
Another question though; Do the beds come with bedding and maybe even a pillow for our sorry heads?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2020 at 10:11 PM

When I was shown a room in 2017, yes, just like a motel and it looked comfy! I took a photo, I think? It will be in my Trip #1 report.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.