BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Moving to Baja with a pet Iguana...
Archie
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2020 at 02:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Archie, did you read the link I provided?
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/pet-travel/by-country/pettr...

As of 12/16/2019 veterinary certificates are no longer required! When they were required, they were good for 30 days if travel was by land or sea, 10 if by air.

The airlines might still require one to fly with a pet, but not if you are driving across the border.
[Edited on 2-22-2020 by AKgringo]

The site refers to dogs and cats only, if you click on the "other pets" tab, it says that they have no official info for requirements on those cases.

My advice would be to get the most up to date information with the phone numbers and email at the end of the document I provided. Although vet calls are not as expensive as in the US, i would not risk my pet to be taken and quarantined out of my sight.
RocketJSquirrel
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2020 at 03:04 PM

Yeah... my previous advice was based on the little guy standing on your keyboard 15 years ago. Not the big guy you later described.
Dianamo
Nomad

Mood: ...still in Baja

[*] posted on 10-21-2020 at 03:51 PM
please, the rest of the story

Did you need any paperwork going into MX? How are y'all doin'? Please update us, we want to hear the rest of the story.

I was lead hear because I searched for "current rules for bringing in dogs and cats". Will someone update us on the new process for bringing in our animal family members?

According to the USAD website: ( https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/pet-travel/by-country/pettravel-mexico ) an International Health Certificate is no longer required, and has been replaced with: 

"Upon arrival to Mexico with the pet dog(s) and/or cat(s) in a clean cage(s)/carrier(s), travelers must visit the Mexican Animal and Plant Health Inspection Office (OISA), to contact the official personnel working with SENASICA."

Has anyone gone through this new process at San Ysidro? Please advise of your experience and what I should expect. I'll be bringing two older chihuahuas and one older cat. The website indicates this may take quite some time.

Also, what are the current animal food rules?

Thanks, for your help! DianaMo

Minds are like parachutes...they only function when open!

\"The price of apathy is to be ruled by evil men.\" - Plato
tjsue
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2020 at 07:45 PM

The OP hasn't been on here since February 21,and by now I don't think he's going to be back.

If you're bringing in dogs and cats, you won't have any problems. All you need are vaccination records, and possibly a health certificate.

For food, if you're driving and want to bring a lot in, just put in the back of your car, throw a blanket over it, and throw some household items on top of it. Otherwise, there's a Petco in Tijuana, and one or two pet supply stores in Rosarito.

[Edited on 10-22-2020 by tjsue]
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2022 at 06:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RocketJSquirrel  
I know it is trivial to say, don't worry about it. But one of the best things about Mexico is that 99% of the time, you really don't need to worry about it.

All these guards and soldiers at the check points - they are mostly worried about you opening fire on them. A big smile puts all that to rest.

And really - all the BS - on this forum and others - about people trying to "shake you down" is really just that - BS.

Enjoy Mexico for what it is. Really really nice people. Put your head on right and they will respond to your positive attitude.

Well said RJS. And spot on.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-20-2022 at 12:15 PM

Nice bump-up of a two-year-old thread! Cool lizard!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.