BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mexico still issuing FMMs?
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 3-23-2020 at 12:28 PM
Mexico still issuing FMMs?

There is a great deal of uncertainty in my neck of the woods about whether Americans are being allowed back across the Mexican border, at this time.

Does anyone know of anyone who is an American (or Canadian, I suppose) who has transited the border from north to south, since 12:01 AM on Saturday morning?

Know of anyone who TRIED and was DENIED? If so, what government was the denying party?

I am finding lots of speculation that Mexico isn't issuing FMMs OR the US Border Patrol isn't even letting people get to the Mexican border. Anyone know, first or second hand?

We have one American woman who lives full time down here, but goes up monthly for medical purposes to Tucson. She's not worried about crossing north, but wonders if she will be allowed back down. This is her only home, down here. But she prefers to be on an FMM, not an RP.

Actually, there are vets down here who have delayed going up to the VA Hospital for the same reasons.
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 3-23-2020 at 01:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
...the US Border Patrol isn't even letting people get to the Mexican border.

Sounds like a case of opportunity for the Coyotes, they won't need to return south "empty".

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
Rossman
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2020 at 01:52 PM

I personally know of 2 carloads of folks that have transited north to south in Mexicali in the last day with no problems at all. No screening, no extra questions, no problem getting FMMs. More 2nd had reports on Facebook. Most with absolutely no problem. One report I have seen where a carload was turned away at San Ysidro with no other details given.

As an aside, there is a new screening checkpoint entering BCS at GN. Same spot as the tire spray so easily avoidable if you know the area. Operating 24/7. The video I saw had a guy in medical scrubs stopping all southbound vehicles, asking some questions and hitting their foreheads with a digital thermometer. and waving them on.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2020 at 02:35 PM

Same in San Ignacio according to our neighbors.

I would think you would want to know if you have a fever, and be responsible enough to go back north if you do?

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2020 at 10:04 PM

There is a great deal of uncertainty in my neck of the woods about whether Americans are being allowed back across the Mexican border, at this time.

Does anyone know of anyone who is an American (or Canadian, I suppose) who has transited the border from north to south, since 12:01 AM on Saturday morning?

Know of anyone who TRIED and was DENIED? If so, what government was the denying party?

I am finding lots of speculation that Mexico isn't issuing FMMs OR the US Border Patrol isn't even letting people get to the Mexican border. Anyone know, first or second hand?

We have one American woman who lives full time down here, but goes up monthly for medical purposes to Tucson. She's not worried about crossing north, but wonders if she will be allowed back down. This is her only home, down here. But she prefers to be on an FMM, not an RP.

Actually, there are vets down here who have delayed going up to the VA Hospital for the same reasons.

So let's get this straight- this woman "prefers" to live in Mexico full time, aside from her medical visits NOB, on a tourist visa. What you really mean is that she prefers to contravene Mexican Immigration policy. And now it appears that she also wants to contravene strong recommendations and orders to stay put wherever you are, to control the spread of coronavirus. Please tell her to hunker down wherever she is before she either contracts the virus herself or tries to come back to Mexico and possibly bring the virus with her and infects all the people she encounters on the way and the people in her Mexican community.

[Edited on 3-24-2020 by surabi]
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2020 at 04:38 AM

Well, we always recommend that people stay for a while first before deciding on buying or moving to Mexico permanently. This could easily be the case here? In which case medical insurance would be in the U.S. and perhaps a visit necessary?

That being said, American friends who are permanent residents just returned home to La Bocana, early, after a month in the States. They brought back a clothes dryer and went to declare it (sorry, I don't remember the crossing but not TJ or Tecate). For the first time ever they were asked:

Do you have a house in Mexico?
Yes.
Can I see your immigration documents.
Yes.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2020 at 07:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  

So let's get this straight- this woman "prefers" to live in Mexico full time, aside from her medical visits NOB, on a tourist visa. What you really mean is that she prefers to contravene Mexican Immigration policy. And now it appears that she also wants to contravene strong recommendations and orders to stay put wherever you are, to control the spread of coronavirus. Please tell her to hunker down wherever she is before she either contracts the virus herself or tries to come back to Mexico and possibly bring the virus with her and infects all the people she encounters on the way and the people in her Mexican community.
[Edited on 3-24-2020 by surabi]

I am not aware of her breaking any law/recommendation in terms of Mexico, Arizona, her immigration status, or owning a home with said status, or her motivation for crossing the border both ways. She is not a tourist.

Please enlighten us.

Oh, wait. Arent you part of the reactionary crowd on Nomads? Extremist left and/or right?

Never mind the enlightenment..........

[Edited on 3-24-2020 by Hook]
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2020 at 07:41 PM

I am not aware of her breaking any law/recommendation in terms of Mexico, Arizona, her immigration status, or owning a home with said status, or her motivation for crossing the border both ways. She is not a tourist.

Her immigration status in Mexico is a tourist, since she isn't RT, RP or citizen.

As I recall, cross-border trips are not allowed for non-essential personal, business or medical purposes. If border agents consider her purpose non-essential, she won't be allowed and will break the law/recommendation if she'll manage to slip through by deception or due to lax border control.
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2020 at 07:46 PM

Medical is considered essential.

Returning home sounds rather essential, too. You can own a home in Mexico on an FMM. Possibly hundreds do.

Yes, I agree that it will be up to the border agents. Just not sure which country's border agents might try and stop her.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2020 at 07:51 PM

Please enlighten us.

Oh, wait. Arent you part of the reactionary crowd on Nomads? Extremist left and/or right?

Never mind the enlightenment..........

[Edited on 3-24-2020 by Hook][/rquote]

You said she lives full-time in Mexico, but on an FMM, which I assume to mean a tourist permit. That's illegal. Perhaps you should inform yourself regarding immigration laws and status, as should she. She has zero rights in this country on a tourist visa- they can choose never to let her back in, if they want, regardless of whether she owns a home here. Tourists are tourists- they aren't supposed to be living here full-time unless they have temporary or permanent residency.

You conveniently didn't address the most crucial part of my post- no one should be travelling right now-it's irresponsible and dangerous.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I'm not part of any "crowd" on nomads. I post here very seldom, actually.

[Edited on 3-25-2020 by surabi]

[Edited on 3-25-2020 by surabi]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-24-2020 at 08:10 PM

Medical is considered essential.

Returning home sounds rather essential, too. You can own a home in Mexico on an FMM. Possibly hundreds do.

Yes, I agree that it will be up to the border agents. Just not sure which country's border agents might try and stop her.

Owning a home in Mexico on an fmm sounds like non-essential activity. Full time home she would have a visa and be a legal resident. Fmm indicates vacation home, so non-essential. What person would try to live in Mexico illegally full time on an fmm? If Mexico wants to weed out the non-essential, they should grill the people asking for fmms.

Most dental and meds procedures being canceled these days. Hell, can’t even get a barber these days. Unless you are in critical condition, no sane medical provider wants to do any thing more than a phone consult until trump disease has run it’s course and trump has invented a therapy or vaccine.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2020 at 08:12 PM

Mexico might not let her in. Regardless of immigration laws - which laws and their enforcement have never been top priority of Mexican government.

Returning citizens of either country are allowed and she will be allowed North (well, at least in the first trip). But there is no reason for Mexicans to let her back in - she is not a returning Mexican citizen and her purpose in Mexico is likely non-essential.
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2020 at 08:18 PM

Yeah, well, opening the border to any and all who want into the US, at ANY time, is considered essential to you, so pardon me if we pass on your opinion.

There is nothing precluding someone from owning a full time home in Mexico on an FMM.

Except the myths created by persons who rarely go to Mexico and don't live there.

It becomes clearer and clearer to me that the extremists on both sides of the political spectrum really have no experience in the reality of life. It's all learned from what they READ somewhere.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2020 at 01:52 AM

Yeah, well, opening the border to any and all who want into the US, at ANY time, is considered essential to you, so pardon me if we pass on your opinion.

There is nothing precluding someone from owning a full time home in Mexico on an FMM.

Except the myths created by persons who rarely go to Mexico and don't live there.

It becomes clearer and clearer to me that the extremists on both sides of the political spectrum really have no experience in the reality of life. It's all learned from what they READ somewhere.

No there is nothing precluding someone with tourist status owning a home in Mexico, that's quite correct. But living in Mexico full time on a tourist visa is not legal.
And FYI I don't "rarely go to Mexico". I've lived in Mexico for 18 years. And read a lot of immigration law- I didn't read it "somewhere".
defrag4
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2020 at 11:58 AM

just read a report of someone who renewed their FMM/TIP at Nuevo Laredo

have read plenty of reports of people still crossing into MX from USA with no issues

some border closure...

Driving the PanAmerican Highway
https://www.facebook.com/homeonthehighway/
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2020 at 12:29 PM

Living full time on a tourist visa isn't illegal.

Because of our town's proximity to the border, it really is no big deal to go up after six months and simply get a new one. INM officials still say there is no problem immediately renewing one, after the old one expires.

Stay-at-home "light" is supposed to take effect tomorrow in Sonora, by decree of the gubner. All non-essential businesses will close. As will any places where social congregation occurs. Supposedly beaches, too, especially for Semana Santa.

But there is no word of any closures of the highways.
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 3-27-2020 at 01:46 PM

Living full time on a tourist visa isn't illegal.

Because of our town's proximity to the border, it really is no big deal to go up after six months and simply get a new one. INM officials still say there is no problem immediately renewing one, after the old one expires.

Stay-at-home "light" is supposed to take effect tomorrow in Sonora, by decree of the gubner. All non-essential businesses will close. As will any places where social congregation occurs. Supposedly beaches, too, especially for Semana Santa.

But there is no word of any closures of the highways.

I don't know why mexico would care if you're living here on an FMM, they know you're here and they're still raking in a little dough and with unreasonable financial requirements many simply can't qualify for temp let alone perm visa's. that said check out this read.

https://yucalandia.com/2020/01/27/update-on-foreigners-using...
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2020 at 03:42 PM

That's an interesting article. The time could be coming when it might not be OK. At least for air travelers who are almost always recorded as having entered and exited the country, because of the airline ticket.

In vehicles, they are still not forcing one to turn in their FMM when expired, nor preventing you from obtaining another if you don't turn it in.

Somehow, I think we would have heard of similar cases since Jan 2020, if this was some new policy.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.