Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: RIP Gentle Giant ? a lost dog in Baja
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 3-24-2005 at 06:59 PM
RIP Gentle Giant ? a lost dog in Baja

We saw her for the first time last Sunday, standing by the side of the road as we exited the pay road freeway. A severely emaciated Great Dane female, black with a white patch on her chest and white marks on her paws. We looked at her and at each other and one of us said, ?Let?s see what we can do about this.?

We returned with dog food and some leashes and strings to make a muzzle and a not very well thought out plan that was, ?Maybe if we feed her, we can drop a rope around her neck or maybe we can lure her into the car.?

No, no, no, she had been lost too long, lonely too long, and, betrayed and frightened too many times. She looked at me directly with her cocoa brown eyes, ate out of my hands and brushed her muzzle against my fingers, but when I reached out for her, she cried, a low squealing sound of need and also of deep, deep despair, and ducked away.

Her fur was sparse from malnutrition, she was sunburned and her paws were sore and inflamed from road wear and foxtail infection, but when we tried to corner her and drop a loop over her, she jumped and sped off in an amazing show of athletic ability and strength.

We left her there with a plan for the next day. Go to the vet, get some pills, capture her when she goes to sleep.

She eagerly came when I called her the next morning, watched me mix her breakfast with the medication and ate it from my hands with no hesitation. We waited for her to lie down, and when she did not, reluctantly (because we didn?t want her to aspirate her food when unconscious) gave her more food to keep her close.

After an hour, she dropped down about fifteen feet away and started to stretch out. When we tried to drop a rope on her, she sprang up and raced away. We chased her for a long time, thinking, ?This dog has to lie down at some point.?

No, she stayed on her feet and led us all over the field, past several sleeping rattlesnakes. After a long time, we decided to go back to the vet and get something stronger, feed her a normal dinner and try again in the morning.

When we returned at dinnertime, something was wrong. There was an empty feeling to the landscape and pasture where she had been living. I crawled under the fence with her dinner to leave it near her den and when I returned, there was a local talking earnestly to my husband and he led us a little further back on the road and pointed.

She had been shot and killed and then hauled off in those few short hours since we last saw her.

All that was left was a trail of blood and three shell casings.

[Edited on 3-25-2005 by Gypsy Jan]

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
Keri
Super Nomad

Mood: muy contento

[*] posted on 3-24-2005 at 07:19 PM
I am so sorry. I saw her also

I put food in my car to take to feed her when I saw her again, I can barely see through my tears. What a loss. Who shot her? and why? This is one of the few things I don't like about Mexico. They way they treat their animals. It just kills me. Thanks for caring.k PS I also think that people that bring their pets here and lose them and leave them here to die should be the ones that are shot.

[Edited on 3-25-2005 by Keri]

[Edited on 3-25-2005 by Keri]

http://www.pyramidresort.com
011521-646-119-9445
Cyndarouh
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2005 at 10:07 AM
Some pet Owners

Keri, I also agree with you. This story breaks my heart. Gyspy Jan Thank you for your Efforts. Ospery Thank You for your efforts. I am also, brought to tears. We do have people drop cats, dogs up here in the mtns also. I feel they sould be left tied to a tree in a snow storm. Cynda:fire::fire::fire:
Frigatebird
Nomad

Mood: Soaring

[*] posted on 3-25-2005 at 10:15 AM

How one treats animals can be an indicator of how one could treat their own kind; in this case, another animal. :(

Avatar courtesy of Herb :tumble:
Bajagato
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2005 at 10:15 AM

gypsy jan...thanks for being such a kind, perro loving human being, I too, cried, reading your story. I so often are so sad in Baja, at the sights of dogs running wild, hungry and hurt. I applaud your efforts.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 3-26-2005 at 06:12 PM
so much for guns being illegal

here's a heart warmer:

8 or 9 years ago my buddy Milt was in central baja surfing at "Spot X" and a young dog came out of the desert. totally dehydrated and HUNGRY!

after hanging around the campsite for a week and putting on many pounds, the dog had a new friend and was adopted by Milt. he brought the pooch back home with him and gave the puppy to his neighbor who fell in love with the dog.

i was told this story, not when it occurred, but when i moved across the alley from Milton three months ago-and during the cursory-beer-in-hand walk through of the property, i asked Milt if he needed a dog house (which the previous people left). he told me, "no". then told me the story of WHY that doghouse was there...:)

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.