BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Americans from Mexico with COVID-19 Overwhelm Hospitals in Imperial County
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2020 at 02:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Tioloco  

Closing the border 100% between the 2 countries would have had a worse impact on the citizens of both countries than the virus will have. The numbers are still not anywhere near panic status if you look at them on face value ...

Let's not get confused.

Screening at the border, contacts tracking and isolation doesn't mean closing the border.

The numbers (in Mexico) have just peaked in the last several days, hovering around 3000/day. The downward slope is usually less steep than the upward.

There is statistics, you may check it for yourself. 10,000 deaths and counting.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 6-2-2020 at 02:17 PM
You missed one word.....

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
Quote: Originally posted by Tioloco  

Closing the border 100% between the 2 countries would have had a worse impact on the citizens of both countries than the virus will have. The numbers are still not anywhere near panic status if you look at them on face value ...

Let's not get confused.

Screening at the border, contacts tracking and isolation doesn't mean closing the border.

The numbers (in Mexico) have just peaked in the last several days, hovering around 3000/day. The downward slope is usually less steep than the upward.

There is statistics, you may check it for yourself. 10,000 deaths and counting.

You need to rewrite this
10,000 reported deaths and counting

Lots of speculation that the real number is six/ eight/ ten times what is reported....

Remember the great earthquake where they finally just sealed off the underground rail because it was full of bodies, no one ever knew how many.

It is very hard to believe that given the lack of controls by AMLO that Mexico only has had 10% of US tally, very hard indeed...
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2020 at 10:14 AM

Bajarunner, you're right. The real number of cases (and deaths) is probably several times higher.

Just wanted to say that in Mexico it is now in more severe stage - has just peaked or still rising in some areas - than in the US where it seems to decline.
jaymtb
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2020 at 06:52 PM
Coronavirus Jumps the Border, Overwhelming Hospitals in California

Coronavirus Jumps the Border, Overwhelming Hospitals in California

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/07/us/coronavirus-border-mex...

Earlier:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/28/world/americas/virus-mexi...
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Threads Merged
6-7-2020 at 07:19 PM
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 6-30-2020 at 10:51 PM
‘It's Too Little, Too Late': Sentiments From El Centro Residents Amid Growing COVID-19 Cases

--
The small border towns of El Centro and Calexico in Imperial County are getting national attention due to their growing number of coronavirus cases.

Imperial County has a population smaller than the City of Chula Vista and has faced more than 5,000 COVID-19 cases since the start of the pandemic.

The pressure is on at the county's largest hospital, El Centro Regional Medical Center, which continues to add beds and hospital space for patients.

"The staff is exhausted because we've been doing this since the first of March," said Dr. Adolphe Edward, chief executive officer for El Centro Regional Medical Center (ECRMC). "120 to 130 days of non-stop work. Of course, you're going to get exhausted, of course, you're going to express that you're really tired."

The hospital is also transferring COVID-19 patients at a high rate, sending them to hospitals around California including San Diego and Stanford.

NBC 7 asked Dr. Edward where the spike of cases and spread was coming from.

"When Yuma opened and when San Diego opened, our own families here are going to Yuma and San Diego and coming back," he responded. "So, how do you really figure the epidemiology of the population?"

South of El Centro is Calexico which borders the Mexican border town of Mexicali. Baja California Health officials said their hospitals are 90% full of COVID-19 cases.

Some Imperial county residents blame the county saying their efforts were "too little, too late." The Imperial County Health director disagrees.

"We've been working Monday through Sunday and very long hours trying to keep the community safe and healthy and we're going to continue doing that," said Imperial County Health Director Janette Angulo.
--

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/its-too-little-too-la...

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 6-30-2020 at 11:21 PM

There has been growing scrutiny in the Riverside area of patients being flown by helicopter from Imperial County into Riverside County for medical treatment related to Covid-19. I saw a YouTube video filmed in a local church, featuring an unnamed Nurse describing the life flights from the border region north of Calexico into Riverside County - as far northwest as Riverside City.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2020 at 07:30 AM

If people don't smarten up and start following the rules to prevent infection there won't be any place for those helicopters to fly to.

The gov will need to build quick set-up hospitals to handle the overflow and bring in refrigerated trucks to handle the recently deceased.

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 7-1-2020 at 12:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Ken Cooke  
There has been growing scrutiny in the Riverside area of patients being flown by helicopter from Imperial County...

'There wasn’t enough room for a sudden influx of COVID-19 patients at El Centro Regional Medical Center. So new patients had to be transferred to hospitals hundreds of miles away. Helicopters circled overhead while waiting for the hospital’s only heliport to open up. Judy Cruz, director of the emergency department, described the scene that day like something out of the 1979 war movie “Apocalypse Now.” “Never had I seen helicopters flying out here like it’s Vietnam,” she said.'

'Below those helicopters, patients were screened inside military-grade medical tents set up in the hospital’s parking lot to handle the overflow. Inside the hospital, roughly 50% of all in-patients have COVID-19. The intensive care unit on the second floor has been unofficially renamed the COVID wing. More than 200 COVID-19 patients have been transferred out of Imperial County, a rural community bordered by Arizona and Mexico that has the highest per capita rate of COVID-19 cases in California. At first, they went to San Diego County or Palm Springs. But now patients are being transferred to Santa Barbara, San Francisco and Sacramento, county officials said.'

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-06-15/imperial...

elcentro.jpg - 135kB

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.

BajaNomad
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 7-1-2020 at 12:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

The gov will need to build quick set-up hospitals to handle the overflow and bring in refrigerated trucks to handle the recently deceased.

It was reported on a San Diego TV news station last night - and I can't find an online reference for it - that Imperial County hospitals were now bringing in refrigerated trailers for the deceased.

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.