BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5
Author: Subject: INDIAN LABOR AT THE CALIFORNIA MISSIONS SLAVERY OR SALVATION?
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 7-3-2020 at 09:20 AM
Yeah, It's True !

Everyone's life experiences are different.

I'll be the first to admit that my attitude (developed growing up a lot in South L.A.) and the fact that I've commonly owned/carried a firearm since teen years would be the reason that I've so often reached for same in confrontational situations. Perhaps, some (or most, but not all) of those situations "may" have resolved without harm otherwise, BUT that's always the BIG unknown. I do know that resorting to the weapon immediately changed the status of those disputes.

Age, the law and technology have made me more prudent if not less paranoid. Concealed-carry sans permit being changed to a felony (after Masters) along with the changes in the "brandishing" statute and Cel Phones have made past actions inadvisable today. The latter being the reason that I sold off my (2) Sten Guns years ago. A decision I occasionally regret, but it got to the point where one could never be sure that, even out in the remote desert, someone could hear and report that automatic fire and you'd find the CHP waiting when you hit the highway.

The only time that I came seriously close to a REAL problem (N.O.B in Indio) was as much due to late-night fatigue (and alcohol) as anything else. Finding myself in a bad neighborhood in a bad situation, I fired a .45 shot "past" an aggressor's head. Apparently, he stumbled backwards and tripped, but in that fog of fatigue, I thought that I'd mistakenly hit him. Fortunately, it resolved favorably, but it was the principal reason that I left Indio and moved to Yucca Valley. It was clear that my days were numbered if I had stayed.

The one near-disaster S.O.B. was at an army checkpoint when one soldier came within inches of discovering the .380 that I normally carried hidden in the truck. A tense and life-changing moment which makes for a funny story looking back. The LAST time that I ever carried on the highway down south. That .380 is still in Baja. In pieces sans s/n and scattered over the landscape.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2020 at 10:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by MrBillM  

The only time that I came seriously close to a REAL problem (N.O.B in Indio) was as much due to late-night fatigue (and alcohol) as anything else. Finding myself in a bad neighborhood in a bad situation, I fired a .45 shot "past" an aggressor's head. Apparently, he stumbled backwards and tripped, but in that fog of fatigue, I thought that I'd mistakenly hit him. Fortunately, it resolved favorably, but it was the principal reason that I left Indio and moved to Yucca Valley. It was clear that my days were numbered if I had stayed.

Geezsus. Drinking and shooting at people. You want a medal? Only shooting you're doing now is at ghosts in your dreams.

You had the chance to kill people in the military -- and you passed on that, Bill Too bad.

Your bullshlt reads like fantasy. Mr.ToughGuy ranting about shooting people. Watch less TV! And then take this crap over to OT. That's where it belongs.:lol:

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2020 at 10:30 AM

in aviation we have an expression .....it goes something like this.
a superior aviator is one who uses his superior judgment to avoid situations that require using his superior skills.

i fear some gun owners fantasize about situations where they get to demonstrate just what sort of bad-asses they can be. dovetails beautifully with fear of dark skined folks.

[Edited on 7-3-2020 by pacificobob]
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2020 at 11:09 AM
No Medals Needed

Were I fantasizing, I'd do a better job at making myself look good.

Especially, those events that night in Indio. THAT was a total F-ck Up in judgement that could have ended very badly. I got as lucky as one DumbAss could get that night.

BTW, speaking of aviation, everytime I took off I landed without incident. Although, there were a couple of "almosts". Does that make me one of the Superiors ?

BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2020 at 11:54 AM

Back to the subject;
It was the concept of euro/christian manifest destiny driving settlers of all types across the America's from east to west(americans) & north to south(spaniards).
Question is what legacy was worse, the loss of land by the first nations or slavery and the confederacy???
The first nations were repatriated with reservation lands and control of their destiny, the black community got 40 acres, a mule and 155 years of the second version of the civil war. Its never been "all lives matter"

Es Todo Bueno
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2020 at 11:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  

Geezsus. Drinking and shooting at people. You want a medal? Only shooting you're doing now is at ghosts in your dreams.

You had the chance to kill people in the military -- and you passed on that, Bill Too bad.

Your bullshlt reads like fantasy. Mr.ToughGuy ranting about shooting people. Watch less TV! And then take this crap over to OT. That's where it belongs.:lol:

that's good council lee. i hope it will be heard.
Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 7-3-2020 at 12:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
Quote: Originally posted by Lee  

that's good council lee. i hope it will be heard.

as the marvelettes would say...don't mess with Bill!

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2020 at 12:37 PM

i just spit my beer...thanks don
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2020 at 01:50 PM
Crazy ?

That can't be ME.

I don't own a double. Just a couple of pumps.

And, I haven't had that much hair in many years.

It's OK, though. So many people (sometimes with good reasons) have called me crazy (though school officials phrased it differently) since "Tykehood" that I'm used to it.

BTW, speaking of those "40 acres and a Mule", I don't think that they actually came through. Now, with this reparations business, MAYBE ?

I don't suppose that there are enough spare mules, though. Or, acres ?

Peace, Bros.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 7-11-2020 at 12:48 PM
From today's Los Angeles Times

Link:
https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-07-11/san-gabr...
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 7-11-2020 at 02:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  

I stopped carrying in bear country, where I now bring bear spray, shown to be more effective from most information I've researched. I want the bear to go away, not kill or wound it. YMMV.

John

Interesting comment. I was the Asst. District Park Ranger in Glacier Natl. Park (Lake McDonald District) way back (1968-'69), and even tho we prohibited firearms in a Natl. Park, all the Rangers that I knew there carried a .357 or .44 magnum revolver concealed-------because of the BEARS!!! I was also the District "Bear Management Officer" during that time, and believe me I was fully armed when dealing with those ornery and unpredictable critters---both Black and Grizzly. Thank God I never had to use that weapon, but I was certainly prepared to do so, and it came close several times.

Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2020 at 02:54 PM

Ref. the destruction of the San Gabriel Mission:

I wonder if any of these Patriots responsible for THIS destruction were involved?:

Link:

https://www.facebook.com/100000227682810/posts/4555466791137...
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2020 at 04:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Barry A.  
Ref. the destruction of the San Gabriel Mission:

I wonder if any of these Patriots responsible for THIS destruction were involved?:

Link:

https://www.facebook.com/100000227682810/posts/4555466791137...

Defund police. No qualified immunity. Start sending bad cops to prison. Disband police unions.

Religious backlash is deserved. F’ em.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2020 at 05:08 PM

I stopped carrying in bear country, where I now bring bear spray, shown to be more effective from most information I've researched. I want the bear to go away, not kill or wound it. YMMV.

John

Interesting comment. I was the Asst. District Park Ranger in Glacier Natl. Park (Lake McDonald District) way back (1968-'69), and even tho we prohibited firearms in a Natl. Park, all the Rangers that I knew there carried a .357 or .44 magnum revolver concealed-------because of the BEARS!!!

1968? Seriously? Bear spray was not even invented until the 1980's. Carrying a gun was the ONLY option in 1968.

Here's some more recent information. This is pretty much what a ranger also told me last year in Wyoming as well. Times change.

https://above.nasa.gov/safety/documents/Bear/bearspray_vs_bu...

John

[Edited on 7-12-2020 by John Harper]
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 7-11-2020 at 05:40 PM

John

Interesting comment. I was the Asst. District Park Ranger in Glacier Natl. Park (Lake McDonald District) way back (1968-'69), and even tho we prohibited firearms in a Natl. Park, all the Rangers that I knew there carried a .357 or .44 magnum revolver concealed-------because of the BEARS!!!

1968? Seriously? Bear spray was not even invented until the 1980's. Carrying a gun was the ONLY option in 1968.

Here's some more recent information. This is pretty much what a ranger also told me last year in Wyoming as well. Times change.

https://above.nasa.gov/safety/documents/Bear/bearspray_vs_bu...

John

[Edited on 7-12-2020 by John Harper]

very interesting! pretty sure neither one would work for me....frozen in fear:o
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2020 at 06:30 PM

John Harper---------thanks for bringing me up-to-date, and you make a good point. I know very little about "bear spray", which is now obvious. LOL I spent my last 25 years as a Ranger Pilot in Cape Hatteras (no bears that I knew of) and then the Desert Southwest in S. California and the Sierra Front country. I had had enough of "bears" in Glacier. I am not a fan of bears----way to grouchy and ornery.

Barry
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 7-11-2020 at 09:22 PM

[Edited on 7-12-2020 by BajaNomad]
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.