Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Virus cases have more than doubled in Baja Sur since reopening
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2020 at 03:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaNomad  
Quote: Originally posted by gnukid  

A mask provides no further benefit to reduce risks of CV viral infection since you have already engaged the virus, and likely masks didn't provide any benefit to reduce or delay engagement in the first place, and likely caused more harm to physical, mental, and financial health.

Acknowledged experts in the field (like Fauci and Gottlieb) state the opposite. They say this is the easiest thing to implement that will at least create some reduction in the spread of the virus.

Your opinions are contrary to these experts. Again. YMMV

interesting that you reference the very people, Fauchi et sl, who admittedly have waffled back and forth on benefits of face masks, noting that certainly covid19 is not an airborne illness and a mask does not have adequate ability to protect you from aerosol transfer and can act as a concentrator of moisture, virus and bacteria in the mouth and nose area. Masks do provide benefit to health professionals when used properly which is quite different than the general public application. Masks do not help reduce risk of infection to those already infected nor those recovered, they also may block transfer of RNA messaging and Antibodies from those two categories of post infection state from sharing immunity building process with pre-infected state people. Take a step back and note that the vast majority of people are already exposed to this seasons covid according to sample set serological studies today, meaning the only ones left to possibly benefit from a mask is a very small percentage of people not yet infected who wish to delay building immunity and of course professional health workers which would presumably be a very very small number of people, perhaps severely ill geriatrics who are on their death bed already.

[Edited on 6-23-2020 by gnukid]
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2020 at 03:50 PM

Right on the box label, masks do not protect from infection of covid... hmm

0E6D1A91-CFEB-408E-8D44-0ACAAD2E94D3.jpeg - 71kB
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 6-23-2020 at 04:42 PM
Gnutty Gnuist Knowledge

Despite the fact that the "mask in public" issue has been explained ad nauseam for months now, those like the Gnu continue to misrepresent the purpose.

Which is to minimize the effects of airborne spread by those infected.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 6-23-2020 at 05:26 PM

... you have no source yet are obsessed with exaggerated morbidity for what appears to be a normal flu season. How about instead of attacking forum members, focus on the data and its sources?

Fact: I used your source.

Fact: You're the one with the ad hominem comments about me, not vice-versa. I'm not the only one you've targeted in this thread with such comments.

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 6-23-2020 at 05:47 PM

Today's covid #'s from BCS government...

https://twitter.com/GobBCS/status/1275548173889490944

bcs-june23.jpg - 83kB

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 6-25-2020 at 03:19 PM

since this was about Covid-19 in BCS, here a perspective
death rate in the US (they are not doing well) is about 37 per 100k
death rate in Germany (they do very well) is about 10/100k
death rate in BCS (I think they do well) is a bout 9/100k
death rate in La Paz is about 10/100k
bottom line - you are as safe in BCS as in well managed Germany
I won't mention the US
you can nitpick about numbers and counting deaths - fact is, death numbers are the most difficult to manipulate

Harald Pietschmann
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-25-2020 at 03:51 PM

Right on the box label, masks do not protect from infection of covid... hmm

The idea is that it keeps your mucus and spit from flying out if you cough or sneeze or spit when you talk. It doesn't protect the wearer, but it offers some protection to others around you. That's all, but that could be enough.

Can we just re-boot 2020??? A really sucky year so far.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2020 at 10:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
I won't mention the US
you can nitpick about numbers and counting deaths - fact is, death numbers are the most difficult to manipulate

Those death rates don't tell the real story. The death rates you are quoting are based on the number of people who have died compared to all who have been infected, both those who have recovered, and those who are currently infected. The real death rate is if you look at those who had the virus and either recovered or died, called "resolved cases"- cases which had an outcome, because counting the people who are currently infected is irrelevant in that respect- we don't know if they will recover or die.

The current resolved case death rate worldwide is 9%, in the US is 11%, in Mexico it's 18%.

When you look at death rates for past pandemics, or diseases like influenza, they are all based on resolved cases, because those pandemics are long over or diseases that have been around long enough to know pretty accurately how many people end up dying from it.

So if we are going to be truthful about the death rate from COVID19, it's the resolved case % that is relevant.

Of course, none of the infection numbers are accurate, because you would have to test everyone to know that. So we can only go on the numbers that are being reported.

[Edited on 6-26-2020 by surabi]
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 6-25-2020 at 10:40 PM

The masks pictured above are not the kind that effectively protect wearer and others....hence the label info..... there are a range of mask types....

That argument is like saying that a pool noodle is not an approved flotation device....but offers some floatation.

The effective masks are more expensive and difficult to source....but they exist. You get what you pay for.

Don't believe everything you think....
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 6-26-2020 at 12:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
I won't mention the US

Those death rates don't tell the real story. The death rates you are quoting are based on the number of people who have died compared to all who have been infected, both those who have recovered, and those who are currently infected.

Relax Señor surabi - as I posted, the death rate I am quoting is per 100k (population). Number of death is more difficult than others to manipulate. Population number even tougher. That's why I chose that rate.

Harald Pietschmann
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2020 at 06:36 AM

I saw a report on TV a month or so ago that in Mexico many death certificates state the cause of death as pneumonia and are not counted as COVID even though the virus caused the pneumonia. Tests for the virus were not done/available. Perhaps that problem has been fixed.

Who knows?

[Edited on 6-26-2020 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2020 at 04:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
I won't mention the US

Those death rates don't tell the real story. The death rates you are quoting are based on the number of people who have died compared to all who have been infected, both those who have recovered, and those who are currently infected.

Relax Señor surabi - as I posted, the death rate I am quoting is per 100k (population). Number of death is more difficult than others to manipulate. Population number even tougher. That's why I chose that rate.

I don't know how you get those numbers. The death rate of resolved cases in the US is 11%. That means of those who definitely had the virus and either recovered or died, 11 out of every 100 people died, not 37 out of 100,000.
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 6-26-2020 at 06:13 PM

An analysis of 172 studies across the world found that using a mask or respirator might reduce the risk of getting infected to 3.1%, compared to 17.4% without a face covering.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31142-9/fulltext
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 6-26-2020 at 08:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

Tests for the virus were not done/available. Perhaps that problem has been fixed.

Who knows?

As noted here previously, Mexico has stated they are not widely testing for C-19 by choice. I'm not aware that anything has - or will - change.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=94512

BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 6-29-2020 at 06:30 AM

Seriously, why does anyone even respond to gnu kid? Ignore the little brat.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.