Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 20 years to see only gray
BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2020 at 09:18 AM
20 years to see only gray

https://mexiconewsdaily.com/opinion/after-a-20-year-relation...

Es Todo Bueno
ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 7-20-2020 at 09:49 AM

Wow, hard to read that article. We have seen some of this corruption during our 11 years in Baja but nothing like this. Of course if you look at the US right now you see some of the same lawlessness going on with the BLM and Antifa radicals. Sad

Living Large in Loreto. Off-grid and happy.
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 7-20-2020 at 10:40 AM

its a whole different world over there:(

https://us.yahoo.com/news/m/84513307-a3b1-3c33-b6e8-4505917c...
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2020 at 11:01 AM

Wow hard to read that article. We have seen some of this corruption during our 50 years visiting Baja. Of course if you look with an objective eye at the US right now you see the same incompetence from our president who was Ok as a reality show host but when faced with a real crisis fell flat on his face while death toll climbs past 140K. Now with the blessing of our incompetent president you have 'thugs' disguised as federal agents abusing their power and attacking peaceful demonstrators using unmarked vehicles to forcefully seize protesters from the streets and detain them without justification. Who is the 3rd world country now? Incompetence is not limited to Mexico.

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 7-20-2020 at 05:18 PM

We have local friends who built their dream home south of Acapulco on the beach, little lagoon in front, and a sand spit to break up the Pacific storm activity. Awesome full ocean views. Very expensive home.

Along comes some "amigos" of the government, filled in the lagoon, built a cheap resort in the front yard of our friends. Adios Paradise.

By the by..... Matt, is it essential to work such US political nonsense into every Baja/Mexico thread??? ("Peaceful demonstrators"???? Not the ones I have seen)
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2020 at 08:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  

By the by..... Matt, is it essential to work such US political nonsense into every Baja/Mexico thread??? ("Peaceful demonstrators"???? Not the ones I have seen)

You're calling fowl on Matt, then you make a political statement?

What ever happened to the 43 students who disappeared. Read yesterday bones ID'd as a student were found. Reports of cops working for the bad boys. AMLO states violence doesn't work, and has extended a peace offering.

AMLO/Prez Bunkerboy different sides of the same coin.

Portland Mayor and Oregon Governor powers usurped by a Draft Dodger. What a world.

Some parts of Mainland are dangerous. Baja not so much.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/26/world/americas/Ayotzinapa...

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2020 at 08:47 PM

If I was the first to inject politics in this or any thread (not) my apologies. :saint:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-20-2020 at 09:09 PM

Never spend more than you are willing to lose...
Mexico property/title legal system is crap,... buying property in mexico is gambling.
Narcos are hard to overthrow when the narcos own the police and politicians...
Parts of mexico are same as NW frontier province of pakistan or stateless areas like somalia..... lawless areas controlled by warlords, drug lord, fiefdoms,. Mexicans dont seem to care, or cant/wont restore law/order, so gringos should avoid these areas...

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2020 at 02:56 AM

What a horrible story and I believe every word of it. I remember reading about the bank scandal where pesos simply disappeared out of people's accounts. My sister had a friend in Tulum who lost their property. I do not know the details on that story but it scared my sis a lot. When we went to Tulum on vacation, she thought it was her kind of place and thought of investing in property there.

Vizcaino is now under cartel control, or so we have been told. Scary times for sure.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2020 at 07:03 AM

many on this forum are very familiar with baja California. as a result, they also feel that qualifies as knowledge of the country as a whole.
i find a comparison useful. baja is to Mexico as Alaska is to the United States.
culturally similar...but with differences.
i know of towns in chihuahua and durango where "private security " has replaced local police. for the most part, things are quite and orderly.
ever spent time in little Italy in new York? very low crime environment.
just a few observations based on what I have witnessed.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 7-21-2020 at 12:28 PM

It never ceases to amaze me how people can compare the situation in Mexico with the security/law and order situation in the US.

It's like comparing T-ball players with MLB players. No where close to the same situation. To say they are in different "leagues" is understating it too the nth degree.

We "gringos" who live down there for large portions of the year, or those who make frequent runs from a border area in US, are mostly traveling to areas where these areas of complete lawlessness are very rare. AND we are fortunate enough to rarely be a target of the corruption. AND we often have the means to buy our way out of bad situations, should they arise.

I couldn't agree more with the author about how Mexico changed in the last 10-20 years; especially with respect to the growth of the middle class and all the international investment that created jobs above and beyond the tourist industry. I, too, thought Mexico had really turned a corner. I, too, hoped that a guy like AMLO and a new political party would make a difference. Clearly, this is not so, from my perspective. AMLO is either completely incompetent.........or he is in the pocket of the cartels, like so many other Mexican presidents.

You know it's bad when a resort area like Acapulco, the resort that basically put Mexico on the international travel map, is now shunned so dramatically. No one wants to go there. I know Mexicans who live elsewhere in Mexico and are frantically trying to get their relatives out of that area.

The same is now true of Guanajuato, Colima, Guadalajara, large areas of Michoacan, etc., etc., etc. Yet, one could fly into the international airport in these areas, take a taxi to your hotel in the downtown area, stay exclusively in the downtown area, AND NEVER KNOW ANYTHING WAS AMISS.

THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE PER YEAR ARE DISAPPEARING IN MEXICO!! DOZENS OF JOURNALISTS ARE KILLED IN SOME YEARS!! DOZENS TO HUNDREDS OF SWORN POLICE OFFICERS ARE KILLED EACH YEAR !!!

This is nothing like a few demonstrations gone bad in the US or protestors taking over a few city blocks for a short time. ABSOLUTELY NO COMPARISON!!!
bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2020 at 07:55 AM

Sounds like the guy went on a property buying binge in southern Mexico; An "abandoned" beach house that he spent 2 million pesos (100KUS) to renovate, a 2500 hectare ranch, several other properties. Then he kicked the fishermen out of his private lake.
Then he finds out the whole place is corrupt and full of squatters and another 2 million pesos disappears out of his bank account!
Guess being a land baron did not work out so well, should have just built a nice place on the beach, but no, always wanted more, more, more..
There is a reason why you can buy a 3000 acre ranch in southern Mexico for the price of a crappy tract home in California
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2020 at 08:16 AM

I would like to read the article but I apparently used up my limit of free reads on Mexico News Daily. Anyone willing to copy and paste it here?

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 7-22-2020 at 08:24 AM

Try logging on to your browser in incognito, or hidden mode. I use Edge "in private" mode, and that has worked for me before because the website does not recognize me as a previous reader.

Results probably vary from one site to another!

[Edited on 7-22-2020 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2020 at 05:03 PM

Thanks AKGringo and lencho, the private mode worked. Can’t blame the guy for leaving. Why more don’t, no se, probably because they have less invested, and live in less violent states.

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2020 at 05:41 PM

If your going to buy in Mexico, buy someone else’s dream they walked away from and get it for nothing. If after 5 years you have problems, just walk away.

I own a shack I bought for very little and I love it. Never build in Mexico. Not worth the risk.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2020 at 07:07 AM

i don't regret a single peso spent on my little rancho and home. i can't imagine a better place to spend the money. i can afford it. thanks to union wages and pensions. go ALPA. i have title insurance from an American company...i seriously doubt it will ever be needed.
CasaMaximus
Banned

[*] posted on 10-9-2020 at 03:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
i don't regret a single peso spent on my little rancho and home. i can't imagine a better place to spend the money. i can afford it. thanks to union wages and pensions. go ALPA. i have title insurance from an American company...i seriously doubt it will ever be needed.

What Bob said.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 10-11-2020 at 09:21 AM

What Bob and Maximus said!

Quote: Originally posted by CasaMaximus  

What Bob said.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2020 at 02:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
i have title insurance from an American company...i seriously doubt it will ever be needed.

I am really curious how this works; I can't imagine many U.S. title companies have adequate knowledge of Mexican property law to guarantee ownership, do they use local legal experts to research these properties?
:?::?:

it required 5 months of researching the title before the policy was written

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.