BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Student Dayr's great news!
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2020 at 03:10 AM
Student Dayr's great news!

For those who do not know me, years ago I created a college sponsorship program where we give financial aid to very bright, financially challenged high school students from our local high school, in the tiny village Les and I have lived in for the past 15 years (La Bocana, BCS).

A group of 7 are now college seniors and are interviewing for internships. My focus last month was to educate them on what internships to look for, certain criteria that would lead to a dream job. These kids are so smart that I truly believe any company would be proud to have them on board.

Dayr is one of the students that has overcome huge hurdles over the last 7 years. His mom decided to move him and 2 younger brothers from our village to La Paz. The good thing is that the family is very close, he is very loved but mom really has mental issues. Once in La Paz, she had a really difficult time finding a job, money was getting scarcer and scarcer and there was no food on the table. I called her and gave her some hints: look for something close to home, preferably within walking distance and preferably a big company. She heeded my advice and got a job at a local supermarket. Over time she left that job and has worked at many other places. The inconsistency has been part of the problem for Dayr, but he finished high school with our help paying tuition. He was accepted at college and here we are in 2020. He is a senior, majoring in Business Mgmt. and ready to find his internship company.

He wrote to me yesterday, He got an internship at a company called FEYCO. It is Mexican, it supplies material to construction sites and although he will intern in Cabo San Lucas, they have offices in La Paz, CC, and even in Loreto! The internship lasts 7 months, starts in September and I am thrilled to pieces!

Fingers crossed that he gets a permanent position there. This is his future and I feel like Mission Accomplished! Dayr is going places and we were an important part of his journey.

An aside. Last month when he was in finals and sending me his grades, he said that some of the students who lived on "ranches" had no internet and had lost points on their final projects. I told him to remember that part of our scholarship is to make sure he and the other students PAY IT FORWARD.

So, in his new apartment that I had asked him to already search for even before he was told he had the position, his roommate will be a kid from a ranch! Makes my heart sing. Because he started looking early, he actually found a great deal at about half the going rent. Their rent will be $5500 pesos a month, one room place, furnished, two beds. Score!

This is what it is all about for me...again, gracias a Todos del fondo de mi corazon.

Here is a photo of him graduating high school in La Paz

Here is a pic of both of us and another pic of the whole La Paz gang, from last year when we spent a week in La Paz and I had a breakfast for the scholarship students.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2020 at 05:13 AM

Thank you for everything you do!

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
ElCap
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2020 at 07:15 AM

Way to go Blanca! Hope you and Les are doing well through all this.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.