Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Pompano fish report
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 3-27-2005 at 03:04 PM
Pompano fish report

This fishing report is 3 days old because we have been busy with Easter stuff. But three days in the land of manana is like a New York second..so hang in there, amigos.

I hit the water at about 1/2 hour before daybreak..having to wait quite a bit at the unusually busy Serindad ramp. Seems like everyone wanted to fish that morning..word was out that the yellows were hitting again out at St. Inez Islands areas. Around 180-200 ft. bottom with fish reported suspended from 30 ft and down. Live-lining unweighted or lightly weighted baits was the method.

I made a dozen baits at Pta. Prieta, bigeye and small mackerel, settled the pup down and motored through calm seas..water temp was almost 69 degrees that day. Clear skies and no swells. It was a full moon, but what the heck?, let's go fishing anyway. Would you like some hot coffee?

I made a single troll past the Inez island chain from west to east and nailed a nice golden. This colorful fish is supposed to bring you luck, as my friend, Manuel Diaz had told me over 30 years ago....guess he was right! Then a smallish cabrilla and my troll was over. I was using a firetiger Mirrolure tied without swivel to 30 lb. Ande mono.

I joined the yellowtail live-bait brigade at the same old spot and set my bigeye out without weight with a circle hook through the nose. I let the bait swim out and down, kicked back and waited for some action..playing some fetch games with Cheyenne, my chocolate lab pup. We were one of about a dozen boats out there from Mulege and Chivato.

Not much action on any boats until about 8:30 or 9:00 and then quite a few had fish on or in the boat. I saw maybe 8-10 yellows landed with live-bait rigs, but so far nothing for me...grrrr. Must be too big a hook, or too heavy a line, or maybe I was just not holding my mouth quite right. I found some baitless friends and gave away my livewell batch...I had a yen to try things differently..went to trolling Mirrolures, pitching iron, jigging and generally running out of excuses to catch a fish! This was not MY day for yellowing...it happens..so you adapt.

It was so nice out there anyway, even if I wasn't fighting a yellowtail, that I decided to head south to a favorite pile of rocks I know about over by the old mine near Point Conception...about 12 miles south of Sta. Inez Islands. I ran with my GPS right to the hump of rocks rising up to 253 ft. from 280 ft..a pile about the size of a barn and hold lots of snapper, pintos, gold-barred bass, and sometimes a nice grouper. I hovered over the spot and dropped a 4 ounce green dart to the bottom. It was inhaled by a nice gold-spotted bass (we call them pintos..don't ask why.) and I quickly nailed a few more for a buddy with a taco stand in Mulege. I then got a very nice red snapper and thought about how good that was grilled with some salsa...hoo boy.

Now I could see the wind coming from the north so decided to call it quits for the day. Back to the ramp and home for some Easter treats on the patio.

A fun day, even if we didn't catch any yellows! The high point was daydreaming about this nice yacht that came cruising by....

Good fishing.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
bajabum
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2005 at 04:35 PM
Your killin me!!!!

Keep on sendin in the reports! If I cant be there rippin the lips off of a few Pescados, at least I can day dream for a few hours after reading your reports!

How about a little trade.....

You come to SD and take over my job. stress out a bunch, earn a pile of cash and I will come down there and take over your fishin responsabilities for a few days! I swear Ill do ya proud!

:bounce: Wishin I was fishin :bounce:

Work is just something I do to keep me buzy between baja trips!
Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2005 at 01:20 PM

Thanks for the report. Just keep rubbing it in! Some of us need the fix cuz it's too windy to fish around here.
How olds your chocolate lab pup? My old chocolate girl passed away a year ago. Have another black girl now, she's 5 months old and the birdiest darn dog I have ever had. There is nothing like a Labrador.
Keep the reports coming!

�And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years, and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way.�― John Steinbeck

"All models are wrong, but some are useful." George E.P. Box

"Nature bats last." Doug "Hayduke" Peac-ck
MIKEMCCARTY

[*] posted on 3-30-2005 at 02:53 PM

I look forward to your report, It has been over 5 years since I have been to mulege,and your report brings back great memories. I am going to take my kids down this July. Until then, I will keep dreaming through your fishing adventures. Thanks....
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2005 at 04:36 PM

Here is a photo of the boat we had in Mulege and Chivato for about 5 years in the mid to late '80's.

Yes that does say V8 as in 300 Hp !
At 26' with a deep V, it made for the holes and weedlines at over 65 mph !
This was a very important feature in allowing us to complete our beauty sleep after too much Pacifico (ah, the good old days).

We had no clue but always managed to catch something. Many many fish. Many many fish stories. Like the time...

Part of the reason I enjoy your posts so much !

Thank you.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.