Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Boat Temporary Import Permits
billklaser
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2020 at 03:05 PM
Boat Temporary Import Permits

I have a boat in Loreto, my TIP expires in November. I would like to renew it for another 10 years. Can anybody tell me the process for the renewal. Can this be done online, or do I need to be in Mexico for the renewal.
BajaParrothead
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2020 at 06:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by billklaser  
I have a boat in Loreto, my TIP expires in November. I would like to renew it for another 10 years. Can anybody tell me the process for the renewal. Can this be done online, or do I need to be in Mexico for the renewal.
I just did mine in February when I crossed at Mexicali. The agent was very clear when he explained that the permit was good for 10 years and at that time, I would need to tow it back up to the border to renew it. I asked if I could do it at the La Paz marina and he said I could not!

It seems crazy to tow it 900 miles for a renewal. I have been told by others that it is possible to get it done at large marinas, but I've yet to confirm that.

Good luck, I'd be very interested to hear how it turns out for you.
KRB
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2020 at 06:39 PM
TIP

I have been told that there is “ a guy” in La Paz with the right connections and he can get a TIP without going to the border but it costs about $1,000 USD.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2020 at 06:53 PM

I got mine renewed in Guaymas in Sonora without having to take it back to the border.

Call marinas in La Paz. Often they can help you with the process.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

billklaser
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2020 at 07:02 AM

Thank you all for the replies. Later I will post how it went. Brings up another question: After 20 years it cannot be renewed, so then you can't have a boat more than 20 years in Mexico?
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2020 at 08:17 AM

Thank you all for the replies. Later I will post how it went. Brings up another question: After 20 years it cannot be renewed, so then you can't have a boat more than 20 years in Mexico?

I'm sure you discovered that misinformation in earlier responses notwithstanding, you can renew a boat TIP online within the 90 day window prior to expiration. And, you don't need to take your boat anyplace to do it. I went through the process last month. My situation was complicated a bit because the trailer I brought the new boat to Mexico on ten years ago was stolen and replaced, and the boat was also repowered with a new motor three years ago. When I attempted renewal online I ignored the advice of the Banjercito agent at Pichelingue and tried to update the trailer/motor information. That attempt was unsuccessful. The solution was to cancel the original TIP (still prior to expiration) and get a new one with the updated information. That is what I did and the boat never left the boathouse at the end of my driveway in Loreto. As to the 20 year limit before starting over, that is how the rules appear to read. If so, although I may not hold up that long, with ten years already in the bank I should be good TIPwise for another 20
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2020 at 08:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bill erhardt  

I'm sure you discovered that misinformation in earlier responses notwithstanding, you can renew a boat TIP online within the 90 day window prior to expiration. And, you don't need to take your boat anyplace to do it. I went through the process last month. My situation was complicated a bit because the trailer I brought the new boat to Mexico on ten years ago was stolen and replaced, and the boat was also repowered with a new motor three years ago. When I attempted renewal online I ignored the advice of the Banjercito agent at Pichelingue and tried to update the trailer/motor information. That attempt was unsuccessful. The solution was to cancel the original TIP (still prior to expiration) and get a new one with the updated information. That is what I did and the boat never left the boathouse at the end of my driveway in Loreto. As to the 20 year limit before starting over, that is how the rules appear to read. If so, although I may not hold up that long, with ten years already in the bank I should be good TIPwise for another 20
Thank you Bill! That is the answer I was hoping for as mine expires in 2 years

In Memory of E-57
billklaser
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2020 at 01:39 PM

Thanks Bill, I will take your advice.
defrag4
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2020 at 08:46 AM

heres hoping you can put the damn thing in the water soon!

With BCS rolling to the next level of lockdown on the 1st, well see if the mayor opens the marina, im not holding my breath

[Edited on 8-30-2020 by defrag4]

Driving the PanAmerican Highway
https://www.facebook.com/homeonthehighway/
billklaser
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2020 at 09:14 AM

I was told on Friday by a Mexican citizen in Loreto, that this week the beaches will be open & boating can start again. Hopefully that will happen and stay open!
BajaParrothead
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2020 at 09:24 AM

Thank you Bill, that is great news!
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2020 at 10:48 AM

I was told on Friday by a Mexican citizen in Loreto, that this week the beaches will be open & boating can start again. Hopefully that will happen and stay open!

I heard that rumor, but the same rumor was circulating a couple of months ago. I hope it comes to pass this time. In the meantime I've been fishing out of Lopez Mateos where the rule is that gringo sport fishermen can fish on their own boats but they must use a registered Mexican capitan. To comply I've been taking along Ruben Duran. Last week in the company of Ruben I caught my first wahoo limit of the year along with some little yellowfin and a nice dorado.

img_20200822_150507(5).jpg - 312kB
KRB
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2020 at 05:07 PM
Link

Can someone post a link to the website where TIP can be renewed?
defrag4
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2020 at 06:58 PM

I heard that rumor, but the same rumor was circulating a couple of months ago. I hope it comes to pass this time. In the meantime I've been fishing out of Lopez Mateos where the rule is that gringo sport fishermen can fish on their own boats but they must use a registered Mexican capitan. To comply I've been taking along Ruben Duran. Last week in the company of Ruben I caught my first wahoo limit of the year along with some little yellowfin and a nice dorado.

nice haul bill!!

[Edited on 9-1-2020 by defrag4]

Driving the PanAmerican Highway
https://www.facebook.com/homeonthehighway/
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-31-2020 at 09:21 PM

T in TIP is for temporary, verdad?

I am surprised 20 years is considered “temporary.”

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2020 at 09:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by KRB  
Can someone post a link to the website where TIP can be renewed?

https://www.banjercito.com.mx/registroVehiculos/#

My experience is sometimes the site works, and sometimes it doesn't. But that was like 3 years ago. I successfully got import permits for a truck and 3 bikes to take to Sonora. But then it stopped working. You'd get to the last step and it would fail. I'm sure they have fixed it by now.

You can see the fee for boats on the right.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.