Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Toro
Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2020 at 10:12 AM
Toro

pound for pound has to be one of the hardest pulling fish in the Sea. This 30+ pounder Crevalle jack, "toro" lived up to the reputation.

Caught last week off of Punta Pescador, Bahia de Los Angeles. The yellowtail fishing was very good also, 10 to 30 pound fish, but this toro fought as lot harder than any of the dozens of yellowtail we caught while fishing with Papa Joel for the week in Bahia.

thumbnail_20200906_184138 (1).jpg - 127kBthumbnail_received_780214119474345.jpg - 262kB

�And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years, and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way.�― John Steinbeck

"All models are wrong, but some are useful." George E.P. Box

"Nature bats last." Doug "Hayduke" Peac-ck
defrag4
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2020 at 02:54 PM

nice catch!

they are beasts, i hooked up to one about that size in my 12ft aluminum skiff, trolling a 2oz spoon on a small 3000 series reel, had a blast getting drug all over Loreto bay

eventually got him landed, i wanted to throw him back my Mexican friend insisted he wanted to eat it :?:

never heard of anyone eating jack crevalle, maybe smoked?

[Edited on 9-11-2020 by defrag4]

Driving the PanAmerican Highway
https://www.facebook.com/homeonthehighway/
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2020 at 03:03 PM

I agree with defrag. BEASTS! There´s a reason they call them toros.. They cook em zarandeado style down here and they´re pretty tasty.

[Edited on 9-11-2020 by chippy]
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 9-11-2020 at 03:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by defrag4  
nice catch!

they are beasts, i hooked up to one about that size in my 12ft aluminum skiff, trolling a 2oz spoon on a small 3000 series reel, had a blast getting drug all over Loreto bay

eventually got him landed, i wanted to throw him back my Mexican friend insisted he wanted to eat it :?:

never heard of anyone eating jack crevalle, maybe smoked?

[Edited on 9-11-2020 by defrag4]

I hope I never get that hungry!:no:
Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2020 at 04:43 PM

never heard of anyone eating jack crevalle, maybe smoked?[Edited on 9-11-2020 by defrag4]

Caught that fish on Joel's boat rod. We were on a sightseeing, beach combing trip and did not bring my gear.

Joel's boat rig was an old Penn 500 with good 40 lb string on a Big 5 rod. Salas 6x white, my favorite jig was on the end. Friggin reel had frozen drags and a skipping crank gear. Fought for every foot of gain on that one. We saw the toros on top and I said to Joel, let stop, hook one and pass it off to Martha as she was so impressed by how hard yellowtail pulled.. Well, Martha wanted none of that and I was stuck bringing it in.

Dumb ass move on my part and the whole fight I was waiting for that Penn 500 to blow up, just like they used to do 40 years ago after a long day pulling on yellowtails in the same place.

Eating it? We have tried it and wish we had not.

Joel Prieto, local fishing guide, made an interesting comment though. He said with the declining yellowtail stocks he has noticed year to year, we may all have to get used to toro as table fare. That is so depressing as I agree with del mar, hope we never get that hungry!

The beach combing was relaxing.

thumbnail_20200906_123634 RD.jpg - 311kB

�And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years, and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way.�― John Steinbeck

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 9-11-2020 at 05:20 PM

I have caught them before, but it was a long time ago. Pound for pound fighting ability, I was more impressed with a Wahoo I caught fishing near Manzanillo.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-12-2020 at 01:10 AM

Nice catch!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Mulege Canuck
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2020 at 08:55 AM

Last November, when on my sailing trip, we got into a school of “Toro” at San Basillo. We woke up to the sound of feeding fish. We rushed out and tossed a Crocodile into the school and got into one right away. What a blast! The bite only lasted for 10 minutes and then they moved on. The next morning we waded out as the sun came up with coffee in hand, waiting for them. They came again. Lots of fun.

We let all of them go. They don’t sound like a good eating fish.
defrag4
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2020 at 09:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Jorge  

never heard of anyone eating jack crevalle, maybe smoked?[Edited on 9-11-2020 by defrag4]

Caught that fish on Joel's boat rod. We were on a sightseeing, beach combing trip and did not bring my gear.

Joel's boat rig was an old Penn 500 with good 40 lb string on a Big 5 rod. Salas 6x white, my favorite jig was on the end. Friggin reel had frozen drags and a skipping crank gear. Fought for every foot of gain on that one. We saw the toros on top and I said to Joel, let stop, hook one and pass it off to Martha as she was so impressed by how hard yellowtail pulled.. Well, Martha wanted none of that and I was stuck bringing it in.

Dumb ass move on my part and the whole fight I was waiting for that Penn 500 to blow up, just like they used to do 40 years ago after a long day pulling on yellowtails in the same place.

Eating it? We have tried it and wish we had not.

Joel Prieto, local fishing guide, made an interesting comment though. He said with the declining yellowtail stocks he has noticed year to year, we may all have to get used to toro as table fare. That is so depressing as I agree with del mar, hope we never get that hungry!

The beach combing was relaxing.

sounds like a great day in baja to me!

nice work landing the toro on the frozen reel :lol:

Driving the PanAmerican Highway
https://www.facebook.com/homeonthehighway/
vandy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2020 at 08:00 AM

I love the Toro recipes.

Most start:

Bleed immediately and put on ice.
Filet and skin.
Remove darkest meat.
Cut into pieces.
Soak in milk in fridge 48 hours.

They claim it's great, though.
msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2020 at 07:41 AM

My wife caught a toro many years ago in Loreto. The guide told us it was good to eat. We took a big slab to the Mission hotel for dinner. The cook said "oh no, let me make you something you will enjoy". We had grouper and turtle. Never tried one after that.

Anything that needs to be soaked in milk is not the best.
One of me neighbors told me that Ospreys are good to eat, you only need to soak them in milk first.:(
Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2020 at 03:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Mulege Canuck  
We woke up to the sound of feeding fish. We rushed out and tossed a Crocodile into the school and got into one right away. What a blast! The bite only lasted for 10 minutes and then they moved on. The next morning we waded out as the sun came up with coffee in hand, waiting for them. They came again. Lots of fun.

What a great way to start the day!
Never gets old that "alarm clock" to the fisher person.

Quote: Originally posted by vandy  
I love the Toro recipes.

Most start:
Bleed immediately and put on ice.
Filet and skin.
Remove darkest meat.
Cut into pieces.
Soak in milk in fridge 48 hours.
They claim it's great, though.

Reminds me of Pompano's recipre for January roosters. Soak pheasant breasts in milk over night in refrigerator. Remove from reefer, wrap breast thoroughly in bacon. Cook in oven until done. Remove bacon, eat the bacon, serve the pheasant to the cats.

Quote: Originally posted by msteve1014  
My wife caught a toro many years ago in Loreto. The guide told us it was good to eat. We took a big slab to the Mission hotel for dinner. The cook said "oh no, let me make you something you will enjoy". We had grouper and turtle. Never tried one after that.

Anything that needs to be soaked in milk is not the best.
One of me neighbors told me that Ospreys are good to eat, you only need to soak them in milk first.:(

Ahh, the old Mission hotel and bar. What great times we had many years ago indeed. One of my favorite bars in Baja back in the day. My wife and i stayed a week in the remodeled Mission Hotel in Loreto last November. They did a very nice job on the remodel and the new Mission Hotel is run very well. Great facilities, great service, great location. But, the old bar was in a class of it's own.

Roger on if it calls for milk in a recipe.... stop.

We did manage easy limits of yellowtails one day.
That we used for fish tacos and ceviche.
The rest I brought back frozen and we it canned up yesterday.
So far this year we have canned over 100 pints of bluefin, yellowfin and yellowtail.

We can it in olive oil, in spring water, plain, with garlic, ginger, peppers, dill, onions and combinations thereof. Properly canned, fresh caught fish is great eats with salads, on sandwiches and makes fine Christmas gifts too.
thumbnail (1).jpg - 184kB

msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2020 at 05:57 AM

I always can a case or two of bonito early in the year in case we don't find many tuna. I like mine with a slice of onion and a pepper of some kind.
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2020 at 08:05 AM

The Toro are a problem in the summer, they move in and eat the mackerel making bait hard to find for the fishermen. They are a blast to catch from the shore and are my dogs favorite fish. A local friend once won a cooking contest using Toro. He ground it up with seasoning, pressed it into burgers, took first place.

P>*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.