BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Jamul to Gonzaga - Quick Trip (9/30/20-10/1/20)
aburruss
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2020 at 04:56 PM
Jamul to Gonzaga - Quick Trip (9/30/20-10/1/20)

Quick trip.. nothing major to report.. but it was my first trip south since October of 2019, so I was VERY excited to go. Small, minor stuff was super exciting! :)

We crossed in Mexicali. As we were delivering a large water tank, we needed to stop at customs. This wasn't simple with a trailer, since the lot is definitely not designed for anything other than regular vehicles. The agent that met us outside was extremely easy to deal with, and helped us out understanding what we had, since we were VERY close to the limit of being a "commercial" import, which would have required us to go to the east crossing. But we were under the cost,etc limits, so she directed us inside to pay. The agent inside spoke amazingly perfect english, and the entire process was very painless.

IMG_8558.jpeg - 87kB

Once across, we began our trip south of highway 5. A quick stop for breakfast tacos, and we were on our way to one of the lots at Alfonsias in Gonzaga, where this tank was being delivered.

IMG_8555.jpeg - 99kB

The road out of San Felipe was AMAZING. There was maybe 2km of potholes, directly outside of town... and then after that, the ENTIRE way to Gonzaga was PERFECT new asphalt. It was absolutely amazing. We didn't go past Gonzaga, but I'm assuming that it's like this all the way to MEX-1. So fantastically unbelievable after the last time I drove this route in April of 2019, and it was horrific. There was not a SINGLE pothole or crappy section of road.

Dropped off the tank, went to the restaurant at Alfonsinas for a couple drinks and some chips, and then did some work on the property.

IMG_8559.jpeg - 96kB

We got back on the road to San Felipe that evening.

Back in San Felipe, we found a good roadside taco stand, and a hotel for the night with a good secured lot for the truck and trailer. We stayed at Hotel Hacienda Don Jesús. Very clean, as for the COVID precautions, all soaps, towels, and TP were wrapped in their own plastic bags. Also, TV/AC remotes were all in plastic bags.

IMG_8561.jpeg - 121kB IMG_8562.jpeg - 65kB IMG_8563.jpeg - 73kB

We had breakfast at Rositas at the north end of the Malecón (the malecón is shut down for most everything, including vehicle traffic).

All convenience stores and restaurants required masks.

All checkpoints were very smooth. Professional and friendly.

Turned off on MEX-2 to head up the Rumarosa and hoped to get through the Tecate crossing by 2PM. We got to the line by about 1245, and spent all of 15 minutes before crossing. Friendly US border agents, no hassle, no questions about what our purpose was in Mexico, etc.

Great trip down and back! Now I'm going to be headed this week for 5 days of off-roading and exploring south of San Felipe.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-4-2020 at 05:02 PM

Great!!!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2020 at 08:16 AM

Excellent, thanks for the report. Funny the local paper here had an article talking about how great and easy it was to come to Mexico (flying in) for vacation. At the same time saying coming by land there were restrictions, it seemed odd to me, why would flying in be better than driving in. Anyway I'm happy to see going to Baja is still a happy occasion. I can't wait to get down there.
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2020 at 09:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
easy it was to come to Mexico (flying in) for vacation. At the same time saying coming by land there were restrictions, it seemed odd to me, why would flying in be better than driving in. Anyway I'm happy to see going to Baja is still a happy occasion.

I imagine there was a great deal of pressure to open up
the Tourist trade. especially in the Cabo area. Hotels, etc.
The essential travel restrictions appear to still be in place,
doesn't appear those are being enforced. Many of the San Felipe
resident Gringo opinions are still not too inviting of
vacationing US tourists
While most reports of Mexicali crossings seem to come with no
questions, problems, on the tSan Felipe site today !0/5, 2
different posts report coming so. to San Felipe on Fri., I assume
they meant 10/2, they were asked for proff of residency in
SF by the Military checkpoint 12 mi. no. of town. Would be
iinconvenient at best, to be ne turned around. Not unusal
to have cpnflicting info

[Edited on 10-5-2020 by sancho]

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-5-2020 at 09:37 AM

I also think the nervousness and fear of driving your own vehicle into Mexico is still a big deal for newbies. Besides the border, the FMM thing, and city cops who may 'select you', you have military inspections along the way... We all laugh it off (unless the military says he found marijuana on your floor mat!)... It all makes great campfire stories for us veterans of Baja driving... but can be really nerving for others.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.