BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Holy Cow, Semana Santa!
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2005 at 06:00 PM
Holy Cow, Semana Santa!

If I wasn't afraid of losing my place on Hwy 1 last week I would have stopped at the many areas of Baja which were inundated with Mexican campers and photograph the happy people.. I never realized how popular tent camping was until seeing them lined up along the shores on both coasts.
Sometimes camped ten deep to the cliff edge or if inland 5 deep along any campable flowing stream. It was obvious which areas were more popular. I don't recall seeing that kind of camping activity in the U.S. in many moons. It looked like one huge family complete with grandma. Many children and big congregations of people who appeared to be having much fun. KUDOS TO THEM! I wish more of us had that social attitude. In the U.S. we seem to shun these close affairs more and more often.
I wish I could walk a mile in their social shoes. I am sure it would open my eyes.:yes:

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2005 at 06:09 PM

I with you, Sharksbaja! More power to em.
It does my heart good to see people with their families having such a good time.
AND when we went to the beach today, I was pleasantly surprised to see that everything was cleaned up. Only found 1 plastic 6-pack holder. We find more than that on normal mondays. I know that I cant pick up all the trash on the beach so I pick up the monofilament and 6-pack plastic, I think that they are so dangerous for all the sea life.
Lets hear it for Semana Santa!

Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 3-28-2005 at 06:23 PM
Peeking into lit windows in Ensenada homes

as we drove through town during sunset on Easter Sunday, I could see families gathered in dining rooms and living rooms, while the men stood around on the patio outside with drinks in hand, discussing the next step in the cooking process taking place there (maybe a whole pig for carnitas).

I was very pleased to see that the giant Burger Kings, McDonalds, KFC etc., had practically no business. The independent eateries (we were not traveling through the tourist zone, it has its own rules of business) were almost uniformly closed, this was a time to be with family.

Traffic going north on the toll road was heavy, as busy as I had ever seen, but I particularly noticed that everyone seemed to be driving the speed limit or below. There were no high speed passers or lane change swerve maneuvers.

What a delightful, peaceful trip it was through the darkening twilight over the Pacific. A perfect ending to a wonderful, beautiful day.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2005 at 07:13 PM
Mindsets

I don't really see the humor David. Does this post bother you?

I can't remark on the trash cause I've seen so much elsewhere.

I was trying to compare cultures in real time. As others have reiterated so many times...... "we are 30 years ahead in our thinking". So what exactly does that imply? This may not always be a good thing, particularily on a social level. If you look at the way crowds interact in New York City and compare it to a similar crowd in Mexico I think the interaction or lack thereof would be very evident. The same goes for crowds at sporting events. We all know what can happen resulting from a crowds mindset. I actually think its cool for people to get along in big crowds...kind of like the 60's man...

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2005 at 07:35 PM

I haven't ventured down town yet but if this is like most years, it takes about a week of the city crews to clean up the beaches and other areas of the trash left behind. If the people in other areas are leaving a clean beach wonderful.
The best personal clean-up after yourself I have ever seen was last Aug in Dalhart Tx at the XIT Rodeo and Reunion barbeque. A free barbeque for all comers, about 12,000 last year. Some years they get up to 20,000. As we left and were walking across the grass to our truck I looked back and saw not one paper plate, napkin or any other trash in the entire area. My wife and I were really impressed. And it was a GREAT barbeque.

:biggrin:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2005 at 12:16 AM
Ranting and retorting

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Yes Sharks, it's a freaking JOKE... that is why I added the: :lol: after each line.

You have been here long enough to hear JR rant about us gringos who (sometimes) camp together with fellow Nomads, in what he calls 'gringo enclaves'.

Actually, I hope JR is really talking about Canadians:lol: and not us!

Since this is jump on JR month, I couldn't resist... Lord knows he's jumped on me plenty of times (and we are supposed to be amigos:wow:)!

It may be a joke to you David but I'm not laughing.

I dont use JR as a reference point and neither should you. Maybe I don't like your inuendo on my posts regarding JR. Why should I be involved. At least wait until I am attacked.:?:

Quite frankly I was surprised to see YOU fall for that "ranting" as strongly as you did. I personally feel I have seen enough on this board and just try to avoid being sucked in to a futile argument. I am sure that given enough time and the proper insulting I could be forced to be 'pince". But I would prefer to be more mellow in this part of lifes journey. Don't forget, I grew up in So. Cal with most of you in the same atmosphere. I feel this stuff puts a dark cloud over the boards and intimidates unknowing newbies and others.:?: Please leave me out of your retorts. Thank you,Sharksbaja aka Corky K.

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-29-2005 at 09:00 AM

I will be more than happy to remove my joke on enclaves.

The point was that all people who camp in groups are happy... that the Mexicans you saw camping in groups is not that different from when we gringos camp together in groups... it is to share the fun of the trip. JR always puts the gringo group campers down... but there really isn't much difference (except we usually don't blare music or leave all our trash behind).

... I don't know why it bothers you or why you don't see the humor in it... but, I gladly will remove the joke and follow up. Have a nice day.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2005 at 12:58 PM
David and Goliath? Hardly!

Heck David, you missed the whole point. It wasn't the joke(s). You can chase down JR on any thread or bring him aboard a post and he can do the same. My point was....... please do it elsewhere cause Iam not interested in that side of the message board. This type of conversation should be confined to a more specific topic, i.e. Nomad Wars. Your contributions are incredible because of your undieing (sp?) passion for Baja. It isn't becoming to see you hop the proverbial bamboo fence. Stay on target. It is the David we enjoy most. Problem is, it is just too hard for some people not to take these boards to heart. Thanx for the consideration. Sharks

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.