Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mexicali south bound
chatolj
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2020 at 08:38 PM
Mexicali south bound

Hola, When crossing at Mexicali south bound, is the new crossing East or West?
The online FMM site asks for Mexicali 1 or Mexicali 2. Which number coincides with East /West? Best parking area to get FMM stamped?

Now the good questions. Is there an ice house that sells large blocks of ice near the route out of town?
If not, does San Felipe have an ice plant with large blocks. Or any suggestions to procure block ice.

First time using Mex 5 to get south.

Thanks for any help, Saludos
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-12-2020 at 04:44 AM

The newest crossing is the new Mexicali West, #1, downtown. It is just a block or so west from the original downtown crossing (end of Ca #111).

A thought: You can get your FMM there at the INM desk, no need or benefit to pre-buy one online. That way, you are not locked into a crossing or a date to cross.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 10-12-2020 at 09:15 AM

If you use the new (west) crossing, keep to the left, park and get your FMM before you enter the actual entry lanes. It saves finding a place to park after entry and walking back to the desk and bank.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2020 at 09:23 AM

As reported, I would not bother with online fmm. Never seen
any other tourists, as in a line, getting fmm's in the Imm bldg.
at the West #1 crossing adajacent to downtown Calexico.
Bank is in same bldg. as Immigration. Free 7 day fmm's,
although reports one has to get the free online, not sure of the
current situation. Park under the overhangs on the left just
before the actual crossing. For blk ice, not familiar with
Mexicali, in SF, you will come into town , on 5, there is a traffic
circle, follow circle around to lert, water plant on left 3 blks.,
pesonnally, I'm not totally convinced the area is fully opened to
US tourists, have read reports saying yes and no.
Ice house in SF is on Mar Caribe, called Israel, goggle map it

[Edited on 10-12-2020 by sancho]

chatolj
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2020 at 02:28 PM

Thanks for the info/responses, big help!!!
aburruss
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2020 at 12:42 PM

Traveling south at Mexicali WEST last week, I was able to get my FMM very easily, although, it seemed slightly "unorthodox".

1) AKGringo's navigation instructions are correct. However when going into Mexicali west with a trailer, be prepared to NOT have a good way to go to customs or INM. I assume that you could stay to the far left and go through the autobus lane, but that might be frowned on more so than blocking traffic into the "something to declare" parking lot.

2)When attempting to pay, the INM agent had me pay him directly, "cash only". He made change out of his wallet.

3) He would not allow some in my group to get the free, 7 day version. He claimed that due to the pandemic, they were not issuing them, as that would be a sign of a "non-essential" trip. This didn't make sense to me, since there's plenty of essential reasons that would be under 7 days, but rather than try to argue (we we're triple parked with trailers out front), the party just paid for their 180 day version (again, with him making change from his wallet), and we went on our way.

Our FMM is stamped, signed, and marked as valid for 180 days.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2020 at 12:56 PM

Block Ice?
I have see it t OXXO and grocery stores as well as other places. It is usually covered or mixed in with the cube ice bags.
Many of us have given up in ice and now have a refrigerator which has settings from 0f to higher temps.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2020 at 03:37 PM

Block ice is normally available at any OXO. It isn't necessary to look for a ice plant.

[Edited on 10-14-2020 by surabi]
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2020 at 04:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by aburruss  

He made change out of his wallet.
they were not issuing them, as that would be a sign of a "non-essential" trip. This didn't make sense to me, since there's plenty of essential reasons that would be under 7 days

Mexicali West, about the only crossing I use, has always
played by their own rules. Months back, read here of them
not issuing the free 7 day fmm, they would accept it if
you printed your own copy off their site. Might be they receive
no $ for the 7 day, and use up their forms. That office has
always requested the 7 day form returned to them, don't
believe it matters, but last yr. i did, what a pain

chatolj
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2020 at 12:57 PM

Park under the overhangs on the left just
before the actual crossing. For blk ice, not familiar with
Mexicali, in SF, you will come into town , on 5, there is a traffic
circle, follow circle around to lert, water plant on left 3 blks.,
pesonnally, I'm not totally convinced the area is fully opened to
US tourists, have read reports saying yes and no.
Ice house in SF is on Mar Caribe, called Israel, goggle map it

Thank you Sancho for the great directions on where to park when arriving at the border (trailing boat). The ice house in San Felipe was easy to locate using your info also. We use a lot of ice when fishing for multiple days.
We had a very relaxed drive to stay with Shari in Bahia Asuncion. All of the military check points going south and back north were very friendly and basically waved us through. The locals in San Felipe were going about their business and we were well received at the ice house and our lunch stop. After 40 years of using Mex 1 we are fans of the Mex 5 route now..
This was our first trip south since you know what started. Our observations were, when stopping for fuel, food, ice, hotel and provisions mask up and people are very glad you are there.
Thanks Baja Nomads for your info.
PS : La Bufadora Inn in Bahia Asuncion is awesome!!!
we are now fans of Mex 5.
RnR
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2020 at 01:29 PM

What about parking for "Declarations" at Mexicali West?

We have a 10 ft cargo trailer/truck combo that I need to park in order to declare a few items. The cargo trailer is probably about half the length of a boat trailer.

Obviously, items need to be declared BEFORE the main entry lanes.

FMM is not an issue as we are both Perm Residents.

Or, is Mexicali East the better entry point for declarations?

We have always crossed southbound at Tecate or San Ysidro prior to this year but became Mex 5 "groupies" after a great trip north on 5 last summer.
aburruss
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2020 at 02:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RnR  

We have a 10 ft cargo trailer/truck combo that I need to park in order to declare a few items. The cargo trailer is probably about half the length of a boat trailer.

Should be no problem.
I pulled through twice with a trailer last month. Once for declarations and once for FMM. There’s no actual trailer parking or lane, but when you pull under the overhang, and stay to the right, you will mostly be out of the lane of traffic into the declaration/immigration area. If you stay to the right, you can easily exit the parking area just a few feet ahead which will pull you straight into the entry lanes.

Someone has always come out to meet me in the declaration area.
RnR
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2020 at 01:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by aburruss  
Quote: Originally posted by RnR  

Should be no problem.
I pulled through twice with a trailer last month. Once for declarations and once for FMM. There’s no actual trailer parking or lane, but when you pull under the overhang, and stay to the right, you will mostly be out of the lane of traffic into the declaration/immigration area. If you stay to the right, you can easily exit the parking area just a few feet ahead which will pull you straight into the entry lanes.

Someone has always come out to meet me in the declaration area.

Thx. We'll so how it goes.
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 10-24-2020 at 08:15 PM

Hi All, we went through Mexicali West yesterday on our way south to our place. No problem getting new multi entry 6 month visas. The guy filled them out for us and stamped them, still $575N.M. They will let you park in the self-declaration parking lot. Plenty of room for tows. It’s the door straight ahead and a hard left inside. You may need someone to chase the guy down. He works outside too! No health stops going south to San Felipe!

We’re finally going to drive to Todos Santos around the 12th of November. I’ll post what I see along the way if the internet is working!

I just swapped out the last of my lead acid batteries for Li-Ion batteries with a huge improvement in performance. I have 8-6V 230 AH Trojan batteries probably 6 good ones out of the 8 $600 takes the lot! I’m charging them and testing them now. I’ll adjust the price up or down depending on the results.
RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 10-25-2020 at 08:25 PM

Hi all,

Today we went for a drive as far south as the junction on HWY 1 and the LA Bay turnoff. The paving work is finished and all the bridges are fixed! We live about 92 miles from the HWY 5 junction with HWY 1. It took a little over 90 min to get there and the new pavement continues to the LA Bay turnoff. The military checkpoint north of Gonzaga Bay was manned but was not a problem. The gas station there is open and has gas. The next gas south is a private seller at the LA Bay turnoff $480NM for 5 Gallons of regular gas. The next Pemex station is 95KM further south.

They seem to be upgraded the air strip behind the Gonzaga gas station. It looks like they redoing the N - S runway. It was hard to tell because of the blowing dust.

HWY 5 is the best I have ever seen it! The trucks like it too!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.