Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Tire Sealant
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 10-13-2020 at 12:54 PM
Tire Sealant

When in Baja, I have tended to prep tubes with Slime tube sealant as a risk management effort..... and it has worked every time a thorn, screw, or nail decided to invade a tire.

Some guys use a mousse with good luck, unless they are doing faster paved sections..... which tends to generate mousse-melting.

I was curious if any Nomads use a sealant in car/truck tires as a preventative or post-puncture additive.

What about RZR type rigs...... plugs or snot strips ?

Don't believe everything you think....
BajaRun
Nomad

Mood: Just Cruisin'

[*] posted on 10-13-2020 at 01:00 PM

Sta-Flo Liquid Starch is what we use in our buggy and truck tires. Does not corrode like Slime and cleans up with water when you take the tire off the wheel.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 10-13-2020 at 01:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaRun  
Sta-Flo Liquid Starch is what we use in our buggy and truck tires. Does not corrode like Slime and cleans up with water when you take the tire off the wheel.

In recent years, I have had one flat in Baja caused by a nail, and several other slow leaks from cactus spines in the side walls. Would slime, or the starch provide any sidewall protection?

Also of interest to me, is what happens with the sealants in freezing temperatures?

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2020 at 01:16 PM

I used Slime for years with what I thought was great results. But 2 years ago I went to Tireject and am even more impressed. About 6 months ago I had a flat front tire and my tire guy said it was no good because the side walls were cracked from old age and sun. I put some Tireject in, filled it up and drove it around some. The tire is still full and it sat for over 2 months while I was in the States. The rear tires seem to take the most punishment and I put tireject in when I got it 2 years ago and no leaks... so far. You use 1/3 the amount of Slime and it is the constancy of cream so goes in really easily and will wash out easily too if needed. I have a 2014 Polaris Ranger.
https://www.amazon.com/TireJect-Tire-Sealant-Kit-prevent/dp/...

[Edited on 10-13-2020 by Russ]

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 10-13-2020 at 01:19 PM

slime does not work in my rear on dirt bike 4 mil thick tube with cheater tire. On my sxs I got small 1/4 in tear tire guy said it's nothing . patched it three times leaking no matter what . I added slime two months ago . fixed only run 8 psi
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2020 at 01:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Would slime, or the starch provide any sidewall protection?

Also of interest to me, is what happens with the sealants in freezing temperatures?

Here ya go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5DWhIF1c0M

ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 10-13-2020 at 01:42 PM

Last 3 long rides had flats on my ktm so I changed to mousse. Been using them in my yamaha for a couple years with great success.
I have used slime in truck tires if I have a small leak. Usually just shove in a plug and call it good.
RnR
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2020 at 01:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

In recent years, I have had one flat in Baja caused by a nail, and several other slow leaks from cactus spines in the side walls. Would slime, or the starch provide any sidewall protection?

Slime, and other liquid sealants, have to reach the puncture in order to seal it. The liquids flow to the bottom of the tire and typically do not reach very high on the sidewalls.

I have sealed cactus punctures in the sidewalls of mountain bike tires by laying the bike/wheel on its side and letting the Slime flow over the sidewall puncture area. Seals it right up.

Not too practical for a vehicle tire, but in a crisis, you could take the tire off of the vehicle and lay the tire on its side....
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2020 at 02:14 PM

great advice
Chup
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2020 at 02:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
When in Baja, I have tended to prep tubes with Slime tube sealant as a risk management effort..... and it has worked every time a thorn, screw, or nail decided to invade a tire.

Some guys use a mousse with good luck, unless they are doing faster paved sections..... which tends to generate mousse-melting.

I was curious if any Nomads use a sealant in car/truck tires as a preventative or post-puncture additive.

What about RZR type rigs...... plugs or snot strips ?

Quad Boss - https://www.amazon.com/QuadBoss-Tire-Sealant-32oz-Bottle/dp/...

Amazing stuff - Bikes, SXS, Trucks - works well without imbalance.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2020 at 03:11 PM

works with tubes on dirt bike?
pacsur
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2020 at 03:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
slime does not work in my rear on dirt bike 4 mil thick tube with cheater tire. On my sxs I got small 1/4 in tear tire guy said it's nothing . patched it three times leaking no matter what . I added slime two months ago . fixed only run 8 psi

Hola bajatrailrider, what are you running in the front and what type of terrain and speeds? Thanks
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2020 at 03:33 PM

Slime has always worked in my 4 mil front and rear tube....hard /desert terrain tires.... min pressure 8 lbs rear for mostly sandy terrain and up to 16-20 lbs for long paved bits; front 10 lbs for sandy and 14-18 front for rocky stuff

Tears in sidewall of tubed moto tire: place a peso or dollar bill against tear inside tire, replace tube, and air up.....granola and candy bar wrappers are mylar and work equally well IME

No experience with sxs or quad tires w/out tubes

Make proper repair once home and able.

Chup
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2020 at 06:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
works with tubes on dirt bike?

Yes, I used on my KTM690 with HD tubes. All good. No sh*tty residue on the valves for air up/down.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.