Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: National Guard in Baja Sur
RnR
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2020 at 09:54 PM
National Guard in Baja Sur

Yesterday, I posted a thread about being stopped for mordida by the "National Guard" (Guardia Nacional) See : New Mordida Tactic

Today, we finished our trip from Loreto to La Paz.

There were "National Guard" everywhere !!

Obviously, this is some new branch of law enforcement or military.

In Ciudad Constitución, there were three brand new police cruisers marked "Guardia Nacional" parked at the Federal police station at the north end of CC. The cruisers are all white with a black checkerboard stripe along the rocker panel. The sides of the cruisers are emblazoned with "Guardia Nacional".

In the central area of Ciudad Constitución, there were army style trucks with the same paint pattern - white with a black checkerboard stripe.

At the three banks (Santander, BanComer, and ...?), there were groups of six to eight HEAVILY ARMED soldiers milling around each bank area. Also, the soldiers were present on several of the other street intersections. Their uniforms are white with scattered black camouflaging. Similar to snow camo fatigues. (In Baja ....??)

Their nearby trucks/vehicles all said "Guardia Nacional".

These guys were all heavily armed with modern AR style rifles and secondary pistols strapped to their thighs. Not like the Army where only one or two guys are armed with some old style semi-auto carbine.

Approaching La Paz, near the airport overpass, there were two apparent checkpoints set up. Two white "Guardia National" cruisers, one on each side of the highway, and three or four officers lounging against the cruisers. In two different but nearby locations. Not stopping anybody - just watching the traffic go by.

These guys were wearing brownish green shirts with darker pants. And lots of emblems and shoulder patches. The same uniform that the two guys were wearing that stopped me yesterday at the San Francisco de la Sierra jct.

We passed two more "National Guard" cruisers going the other way on the 'levee road' after the Home Depot turnoff towards Cabo.

So, between Ciudad Constitución and La Paz, we saw nine cruisers, three or four army style trucks, thirty to forty soldiers, and a dozen or so uniformed officers. All marked "Guardia Nacional".

Obviously, this is some new branch or subset of law enforcement or the military.

What their duties are or what they are enforcing or patrolling for, ..... Quién sabe..??

Anybody else have any ideas ?

[Edited on 11-13-2020 by RnR]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-12-2020 at 10:10 PM

Law and order!

Last month the USA arrested the former defense minister for drug trafficking. He took bribes from the cartel, allowed the cartel to operate freely.

Soldiers, police,... you never know if they are part of the solution or part of the problem.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Beagle
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2020 at 10:58 PM

Not sure if this answers more questions than it raises but it's interesting.

https://www.wola.org/analysis/one-year-national-guard-mexico...

Edit: Appears that about half of them are just Federales with new uniforms and bigger guns.

[Edited on 11-13-2020 by Beagle]
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2020 at 05:36 AM

just a curious note. i was talking with one of these guys a while ago about the rifle he was carrying as i didn't recognize it. he mentioned it was of Mexican manufacture, and just a terrible gun that often jams, and is considered to be sheet.
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 11-13-2020 at 09:00 AM

I drove the peninsula to Loreto a few days ago and saw these soldiers in their white fatigues and found it a little unusual. Chuckled as they looked like they are are dressed for all weather combat. They were dressed like the Marines at the Marine Corps Mountain Warfare Training Center (MCMWTC) located at the Sonora Pass in California.

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

Cancamo
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2020 at 02:18 PM

AMLO's, (president Lopez Obrador), new national police force. Formed to replace some State and Municipal authorities due to their close ties to the cartels.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.