Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Video CApable Internet in Punta Chivato
ChivatoBound

[*] posted on 11-30-2020 at 09:20 AM
Video CApable Internet in Punta Chivato

Hi
I'm planning to spend my first winter in Punta Chivato. I work from home and use video conferencing pretty much all day. This will be critical to successfully working there. Can anyone give me an idea of the internet reliability? What company should I engage to install it in the house?

Thanks in advance.
bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2020 at 11:10 AM

Viasat satellite has a seller in Ensenada and I think there's another in San Felipe. Both occasionally send reps down the peninsula for installs. The cheap package for $1500 or so pesos/mo gives 30Gb data and it seems reliable at 15-17mb/sec down and 2-3 up. They have an unlimited* package with faster speeds for more pesos. I don't know offhand the speed or cost. Nor do I know what video conferencing requirements are but one thing to keep in mind with satellite is latency, there will be a second or two delay in transmission. I also had a 24 month commitment and do not know if they have a pay-as-you-go plan.

There also may be some kind of microwave retransmission setup coming out of Mulege but someone from PC would need to chime in about its availability. It's a technology that's been around for quite a while, has less latency but I think it can be affected by heavy weather. I have no idea of speed, my experience using it was 20 years ago when 10mb/s was super high speed on a wired network.
mjs
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2020 at 03:35 PM

I don't think you will find Viasat or any current satellite provider to be acceptable for video conferencing and only marginally acceptable for voice due to latency. There may be a WISP provider in Muluge that covers PC but unknown to me.

Starlink would probably work based on reported beta speeds but that's probably at least a year away from covering MX.

I know someone who lives south of Mulege and rented a hotel room in town long term to work out of. While that was enough internet for him I don't think there was much video conferencing involved.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2020 at 03:55 PM

There is a newer service, well not new but it is a Mexican service that requires an antenna and modem setup that most are using here. Once you get here you can ask almost anyone how to contact them for service. Usually takes less than a week for them to com out. Set up cost less than $3000pesos and $389/mo. Many here conduct their business on line. If you are familiar with the U2U send me your email and I can send you more info. Video conferencing isn't too reliable but has worked for me at times. I think once you're here you can ask around for those that use it regularly to find the best service.

[Edited on 11-30-2020 by Russ]

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
mjs
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2020 at 04:25 PM

Just heard from a friend who has a house in PC that the WISP (Wireless Internet Service Provider) is available but like Russ says connection can be inconsistent at times. Friend said some get decent TelCel hotspot service but depends on where your house is.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
11-30-2020 at 05:59 PM
HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2020 at 09:40 AM

If some neighbors out there are getting a decent Telcel signal I would get a booster and directional antenna with a large mast.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 12-1-2020 at 09:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by HeyMulegeScott  
If some neighbors out there are getting a decent Telcel signal I would get a booster and directional antenna with a large mast.

from previous posts, it sounds like fixed wireless service is available there. fixed wireless will work better than a cell phone directional antenna with amplifier for internet. but do get a directional antenna with amplifier for cell voice service.

home cell phone repeaters dont work very well. i recommend a cell phone base station plugged into a directional antenna (this is non-mobile option, but usually gets you good signal), and later add an amplifier if the directional antenna alone is not enough gain.

[Edited on 12-1-2020 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2020 at 03:18 PM

Just spoke with my neighbor and she also needs video conferencing. She said Zoom works most of the time and hotspot is a good backup.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
Fastbird
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2020 at 09:02 PM

Go with Via Sat, I've had it for 5 plus years , it runs steady at 15 MBS with unlimited use with the bronze plan for about $65 a month.. I do video like Viber and Skype with great quality. There is a fellow in Mulege named Hugo ( don't have his number) that installs and services Via Sat systems which used to be called Exede. It is USA based so it cybers like you are in the States.
I tried the Wireless system in Chivato when it first came out and the speed was barely 3Mbs, it wasn't useful for me.
Good Luck
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 12-3-2020 at 11:09 AM

viasat2

new system for baja

installer lives in coyote

a little over 100 usa a month...no data cap

[Edited on 12-3-2020 by Bob and Susan]

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2020 at 11:47 AM

https://www.telcel.com/personas/telefonia/planes-de-renta/ta...

Here is the Telcel Internet for home over cellular modem package, there must be sufficient cell bandwidth in the geographic region to be "available" in order to open an account, though, if they refuse you may purchase it for another location and move it as a workaround to beginning service, for example, give an address where there is adequate cell bandwidth say you live in a house in Loreto or whatever.

The modem is generally the part that requires a 2 year contract, you may use other cellular modems, and begin without contract, but telcel won't tell you that, and may not like it if you just want to insert the data only chip for no contract.

Many cellular LTE modem products exist including those with 2 sim slots and more channels ~ CAT 18 technology versus the specification of the products offered by Telcel.

If you have a good cell signal at your location, you can contract with telcel for the package you want in person at a main office, for example, 399mn for 100gb total data cap per month or more at about 10gbdown/up, you can increase 100mb for 100mn as you go, in an instant by adding data on line.

https://www.telcel.com/personas/telefonia/planes-de-renta/ta...

The Internet in casa is considered non mobil, if you move the GPS position there is. charge of 100mn.

There are also Mobil options which are different https://www.telcel.com/personas/equipos/wifi-movil-telcel

Cell modem options * Not making a recommendation *

https://inseego.com/products/mobile/

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/pepwave-cellular-routers-re...

[Edited on 12-3-2020 by gnukid]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.