BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: La Fonda Scam Alert...
BigLou

[*] posted on 9-15-2003 at 09:16 PM
La Fonda Scam Alert...

(Short version of long story). Returned from La Paz in May with *only* 2 500 peso bills. First trip since then back to M had dinner at La Fonda Sat. night 9/13 and paid the $52.50 check with the 2 500 peso bills. Waiter brought me back $3 change. I complain. Waiter claims I gave him a 500 and a 50. Maybe he thought I was drunk (not even close) or had a wad of pesos in my pocket. Asked to see Dimitri who had just visited our table while "making the rounds" 5 mins before. "D not available." Demanded to speak to D. Short Latina tells us he's not around and they ain't gonna do anything about the problem. Wife & I demand to speak to D and finally Sara shows up, not happy. Tells us we're wrong because there's not 2 500 peso bills in the cash register. "No kidding," we say. "Maybe the missing one is in your waiter's pocket." Duh! Argue back and forth for 10 mins until she finally gives us the right change. What peees us off more than the fact that they defend a waiter who is both a thief and a liar is the fact that Sara obviously didn't believe us. We have been all over M for 35 years, eaten at La Fonda many, many times, and nothing like this has ever happened anywhere before. Obviously my wife and I will not be returning to La Fonda. Ever. WATCH OUT FOR THIS SCAM!
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2003 at 09:35 PM

I have read for years about the dishonsety of La Fonda. I had a similar experience last year. When I wrote a report (on the then-active Amigos board) I received many replies agreeing that Dimitri has a major problem. Many of the folks answering my report love the place so much they have just learned to commit the waiter to the money you are giving him or just pay at the register. WAY SAD to have such a great place go ugly.
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 9-15-2003 at 10:17 PM
La Fonda

I believe that it is a scam that Demitre wants to sell. He just keeps rolling in the dough!
The Gull
Super Nomad

Mood: High

mad.gif posted on 9-16-2003 at 07:08 PM

Had a situation this year where one of the young waiters charged me for a dinner and drinks more than what was served to two people. He was not very bright for trying that stunt and I took him to the cashier and raised hell in a loud voice. It was resolved immediately.

I do like certain dishes at La Fonda and perfer it to many other options in the area. That is not to say it is the best restaurant, but I am extremely careful with the bill and paying when I have returned (successfully) four more times this year. It is a shame that Dimytri has these problems and that his patrons need to act with such fear of getting ripped off.
:fire::fire::fire:

[Edited on 9-21-2003 by The Gull]

�I won\'t insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said.� William F. Buckley, Jr.
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2003 at 09:21 PM

Went there once for their morning buffet, cold huevos revueltos and the prime rib was cold,never again willthey get the privilege to see Jesse there.

Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2003 at 09:46 PM
Business in Baja

La Fonda had the best chips and one of the nicest ocean views anywhere for years. Their service was pathetic if not downright rude. This was not Dimitri's fault as he was stuck with "Union" waiters who knew they couldn't be fired. In spite of all the problems and service, he and Sara made a lot of people happy for many years. As well as a lot of money!
I personally find it hard to believe they would spend a lot of that money to move the restaurant expecting the same kind of service as before. Perhaps he got stuck again. I don't know the politics or legalities that are involved with that place but from what I have seen, both Dimitri and Sara have gone out of their way to be accomodating and cordial to their customers.
And, they still have a great view.
BigLou

[*] posted on 9-16-2003 at 09:53 PM
Great View?!?!?

Yeah, I had a great view of my hard-earned money disappearing.
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2003 at 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ski Baja
La Fonda had the best chips and one of the nicest ocean views anywhere for years. Their service was pathetic if not downright rude. This was not Dimitri's fault as he was stuck with "Union" waiters who knew they couldn't be fired. In spite of all the problems and service, he and Sara made a lot of people happy for many years. As well as a lot of money!
I personally find it hard to believe they would spend a lot of that money to move the restaurant expecting the same kind of service as before. Perhaps he got stuck again. I don't know the politics or legalities that are involved with that place but from what I have seen, both Dimitri and Sara have gone out of their way to be accomodating and cordial to their customers.
And, they still have a great view.

Union waiters are not the reason for bad service, theres ways to get over that and get your employees in check, the bad service is simply the fault of the management, give me one moth and i would clean that place out and get it working.

Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2003 at 09:30 AM

Jesse, while management is ultimately responsible, if you can't fire unproductive\disruptive workers you cannot effectively manage. Mexican labor law and black unions are to blame.
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2003 at 09:49 AM
La Fonda

Lou, I thought you got your money back . I don't blame you for being a little miffed at the incident but it did give you another Baja story free of charge!
Jesse, this is what I was told when I asked/complained about the service there to Dimitri. Seems like I also read about it somewhere a few years back like the Gringo Gazzette or Baja Tourist Guide or something.
Do you think that maybe you being a business owner and Mexican gives you an insight as to how to deal with Mexican Union employees. If so, I bet Dimitri would be willing to get it straightened out with your help if you were interested.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 9-17-2003 at 03:33 PM
hey Jesse, waz up with that picture on all

your posts? from the movie "Heat" with diNero and michael corleone from the godfather in it , right?? what's the tie-in?

great movie BTW - you in it?

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
BajaBabe

[*] posted on 9-17-2003 at 08:23 PM

Thanks for sharin... We will watch out for this kind of scam!!!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.