BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Happy New Year from me and the Students!
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2020 at 03:54 PM
Happy New Year from me and the Students!

I have spent the last couple days spreading holiday cheer since aburruss brought me the last size tshirts I needed! Thanks Aaron!!

Each student got 4 brand new, red, heavy duty tshirts that were donated to me. I have shared with everyone who has visited and many locals as well....we all look like we are one big family.

I gathered 5 college students for breakfast at the Cabanas and we discussed (I know I sound like a broken record) the jobs I want them to dream about and writing their resumes. I gave suggestions and asked that even those who are sophomores start writing theirs.

Cristina studies engineering in Tijuana. So proud of her!

Edgar studies computer programming and met someone who wants him to visit the US. That would be awesome.

Here is Rogelio who is a student in La Paz. I noticed on his facebook that he still sometimes focuses on the negative side of life. I urged him to write something positive on facebook every day. I truly believe that we can change our mindset by thinking good thoughts.

He ordered a shrimp omelette and here he is taking a shot of it. He said it was really delicious and it sure looked great.

Ramiro the soon to be architect! He is so happy with his choice of major and says he might look for jobs on the mainland. When I asked about his roommate Javier, he told me he had stayed in La Paz working....news to my ears and a definite first. They are both seniors and almost done with college!!!!

So, I called Javier today and he is in town for 2 days to celebrate New Years with the family. He came by with a friend and we chatted. I found out that he got a job he found online, it is building roads and then will expand into building buildings. He loves it, it is his first job and right up his alley since he is studying engineering. HOW PROUD CAN WE BE???

He will work all vacation and perhaps (my suggestion) he can intern at the same company and then get hired on permanently.

Wouldn't that just take the cake?

Here he is on the right with his red tshirts, holding the Christmas bonus that his sponsor sent! This is one lucky student!! His friend Argenis - not in the scholarship program but was my English student in high school, has already graduated in Agronomy and got a job at a huge farm in Ensenada.

Now, after congratulating Argenis on his job and mostly on how happy he seemed in all the photos he posted on facebook, I asked what size he was and gave him some red tshirts too.

In return he gave me raspberries!!! Oh my gosh, how delicious they are!

The other day I met up with Lizeth, who is here only for 2 days as well. Her classes start up right away. She studies business in Santa Rosalia.

I also met up with Martha who also studies business in Santa Rosalia. She is just finishing up her senior project and she is done done done! Her job at SAPA - first in Santa Rosalia with a switch to Punta Abreojos is guaranteed but she has to have her degree with all the bells and whistles that go with it first. It is expensive but her sponsor says he is going to fund it so I advanced the cash! Her college delivers the degree with all the stamps in a month or so. She is excited! I am ecstatic!! Her sponsor is so pleased too!!!

Lastly, I met with Dayr, whose Mom is working and for the first time in the 5 years he has been going to college in La Paz, they were able to fund their gas to come to La Bocana! YES YES YESSSSSSSSSSSSS

He did not come this past summer so I gave him the huge tube of toothpaste my amigo Mark bought Jan 2020 as well as the last can of shaving cream I had saved for him.

He loves his internship and it may go on for an extra month due to a snafu at college with his internship dates that they can not or will not fix. I told him not to worry, especially since we are hoping that he will be hired by the company when he finishes classes.

There are a couple more students whom I hope to see but I have talked to all of them and they are all doing great.

Thanks all of you! We have accomplished so much and I am really grateful.

HAPPY NEW YEAR! HAPPY 2021!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2020 at 06:22 PM

Great job Blanca, well done. You should remind Rogelio that anything he post on Facebook and other social media sites can be read by potential employers. If they do he may never know why he missed out on a good job.

Keep up the good work. These kids are the future.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2021 at 04:17 PM

Awesome job as always and best place in town to eat!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.