Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: The Winners Are the Cartels’: Mexico Slaps Cuffs on the DEA
verichip
Banned

[*] posted on 1-9-2021 at 03:49 PM
The Winners Are the Cartels’: Mexico Slaps Cuffs on the DEA

https://www.thedailybeast.com/mexico-slaps-cuffs-on-the-dea-...

“There is no doubt the new law came about as a result of the arrest of General Cienfuegos.”
cortezpirasea

[*] posted on 1-9-2021 at 06:46 PM

It's not as bad as it seems... It's worse.
bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2021 at 10:54 AM

That seems like a reasonable action on the part of Mexico, as a sovereign nation. Suppose the roles were reversed, and Mexican law enforcement took a US citizen into custody for a violation of Mexican law on US soil, and dragged them back to a Mexican prison and tossed them into solitary confinement. Say, for example, a gun dealer in Texas that sold firearms to straw buyer that smuggled them into Mexico.

That is why I do not think El Chapo should be in a US prison, especially in solitary, which can be considered a cruel and unusual punishment. So, OK , he was a bad guy, but he should be serving his time in his own country, because the precedent that his arrest and incarceration established can work in reverse.

[Edited on 1-10-2021 by bajaric]
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 1-10-2021 at 01:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaric  
That seems like a reasonable action on the part of Mexico, as a sovereign nation. Suppose the roles were reversed, and Mexican law enforcement took a US citizen into custody for a violation of Mexican law on US soil, and dragged them back to a Mexican prison and tossed them into solitary confinement. Say, for example, a gun dealer in Texas that sold firearms to straw buyer that smuggled them into Mexico.

That is why I do not think El Chapo should be in a US prison, especially in solitary, which can be considered a cruel and unusual punishment. So, OK , he was a bad guy, but he should be serving his time in his own country, because the precedent that his arrest and incarceration established can work in reverse.

I tend to agree with your logic
However, most of the time Chapo spent in Mexican carcel he was not in his cell.
He was down working on his latest tunnel:cool::cool:
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2021 at 02:19 PM

i agree. how many sovereign countries allow foreign police to operate within their country? oh....America is the exception to the rule. i find the notion repellent.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2021 at 02:32 PM

MX doesn't have a prison that can hold this punk. 1/2 dozen escapes. No one is beyond being bribed. He's worth about $3 Billion. No escaping Supermax.

Anyone else, yeah, but not this guy.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2021 at 02:35 PM

End the war on drugs, turn the cartels in to legal mobs (corporations), legitimize all those hidden funds to boost the stock market, reduce expenditure on the DEA/foreign intervention and invest it in domestic police training and badly needed reforms to our justice/prison system.

John

[Edited on 1-10-2021 by John Harper]
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2021 at 03:18 PM

well said john

[Edited on 1-16-2021 by pacificobob]
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2021 at 03:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
End the war on drugs, turn the cartels in to legal mobs (corporations), legitimize all those hidden funds to boost the stock market, reduce expenditure on the DEA/foreign intervention and invest it in domestic police training and badly needed reforms to our justice/prison system.

John

[Edited on 1-10-2021 by John Harper]

x2. That's it.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2021 at 03:22 PM

well said john.... the time to admit that "the war on drugs" failed has long passed
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2021 at 08:05 AM

John has a good point and that might be a good way for Mexico to start taking back the country. Without the DEA, the us enforcement and dollars the drug trade will only grow with the demand in the US.
RocketJSquirrel
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2021 at 10:59 AM

I tend to agree with John.

You MIGHT weaken the cartels, but they will just look for other opportunity. Such organizations look for the cracks in a wall. They just shift over to other business plans. Extortion, General Corruption, Human Trafficking and on and on. Some other way to make people miserable, so they'll pay to have the pain removed. The ROI on those businesses is far far above what legitimate businesses earn. Only now, once you have made them legal, you've possibly provide better opportunities for them to hide their "real" business? No? Or do you get the Corleone Family shift to Vegas? And Fredo...

It is really difficult to remove corruption once it is entrenched (because almost everyone has become stained).

You can't truly "go clean" without full forgiveness for past crimes. I lived for a few years in a country where buildings were falling down and killing a lot of people. All the building inspectors were on the take. How do you come clean? If that is your occupation. How you feed your family. And you are going to pee of some really rich and powerful people (generally those who purchased your services).

And it takes huge time. Like you need 40-50 years?

Reclaiming your sovereignty as a country though, is a good first step.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-12-2021 at 03:45 PM

yes, allowing foreign law enforcement to operate on Mexican soil is horsesheeet
medium Cool

[*] posted on 1-12-2021 at 09:03 PM

If we are to become a truly free country, chit has to change, wanna do drugs and ruin your life, no problem, have at it! Want to go to the brothel and get laid, should be an option, who are you to say no.... want to have a drink on the beach and enjoy a sunset, why are these things outlawed??
There are more things you cannot do in the USA, than you can do anymore, just a fact.
When you make self inflicted criminal activity legit, typically, people recognize the stupitity in it, it's not special.
Free people, free markets, weather you like it or not, its our only future. Not my rules or opinion, its the way of corporate dominance
RocketJSquirrel
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2021 at 11:27 AM

Medium, I was with you all the way until the last sentence. ON that, I am still a bit undecided.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 1-16-2021 at 12:36 PM
Choice vs addiction

"A man takes a drink, then the drink takes a drink, then the drink takes a man" I don't know who said that, but it is true for alcoholics, doubles for opiates, and triples for meth!

When use of a drug is no longer a choice, but an overwhelming need, the addict is on the way to taking down family, friends and even random strangers on their way down the drain.

Intervention, even if it is jail, can mitigate the damage to the addict, and those whose lives that they intersect with.

I have no problem with less addictive recreational substances, but I have lost a couple of family members to heroin, and watched the physical and mental destruction of several others from meth!

Meth does more damage, faster than anything else. and should never be de-criminalized!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
RocketJSquirrel
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2021 at 02:58 PM

"A man takes a drink, then the drink takes a drink, then the drink takes a man" I don't know who said that, but it is true for alcoholics, doubles for opiates, and triples for meth!"

While that is a nice explanation, it takes away one's personal responsibility of one's life.

When you hand over personal responsibility to the government... you can't be sure what you give away next.

Don't be too eager to give away your rights. Eventually they may come for something you didn't want to give away.
RocketJSquirrel
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2021 at 03:02 PM

I say this as someone who struggles with alcohol. BUT... I know it is up to me. I don't ask the government to take away your access, because I can't handle mine. Nor should I.
advrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2021 at 04:34 PM

AKgringo, well said. I've had to fight people on meth and deal with the crazy behavior and crap that comes with it, that stuff is the scourge of the earth. Never had that problem with some that just smoked a joint!
ROCKETJSQUIRREL, I couldn't agree more. Alcohol, cigarette's, weed and all of the other stuff are choices people make, we already have enough government in our life, I know, that's who I work for but only for ten more months. Baja here I come....
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 1-16-2021 at 05:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RocketJSquirrel  
I say this as someone who struggles with alcohol. BUT... I know it is up to me. I don't ask the government to take away your access, because I can't handle mine. Nor should I.

I am right there with you! I was more of a glutton than an addict, but I gave up alcohol in Jan 08, and think that my life has been better since then than it would have been otherwise.

Heck, I'm the same way with ice cream! With an unlimited supply, I could easily eat my way to obesity, and probably diabetes.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.