BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Baja Nomadic RoundTables. Suggestions...?
RandyMacSC/SO
Special Correspondent

[*] posted on 3-30-2005 at 02:04 AM
Baja Nomadic RoundTables. Suggestions...?

What is a Baja Nomadic RoundTable?

After watching, participating, and tooning my way around and along on the Baja Nomad highway of life, fun and drama, which I have traveled myself, I am finding the road most enjoyable, except that of the negative, which most nobody really enjoys if they could and would be truthful with themnselves.

Based on many posts and calls for change, I decided to post this possibility for some Baja Nomads to consider.

Perhaps, some Baja Nomads can come up with a collaborative effort plan that most everyone on Baja Nomad might find acceptable, and that suggestion put forward as a possibility, is to conceptualize, work out the details, and then propose to Doug Means that some specific BN realted Roundtables be created on Baja Nomad where people can feel most comfortable with their particular blend of wants and needs in relation to Baja California.

Different strokes for different folks, cause it would be rather boring if we were all the same. We are not, and that's the point of why people might be looking for something different, such as that of having some feel safe to speak up at roundtables that have clearly defined boundaries and rules of conduct. Anyone entering would clearly understand that the boundaries and rules are defined and person that enters the room to reach a roundtable should remind themselves of such consideration for others that come to sit at the table, and do so before entering, rtaher than being asked to leave and quite possibility with a return invitation. That is not for me to decide.

Roundtable Have Specific Boundaries

In a round table, the boundaries are defined and are clear to most all that decide to sit around the round table to have a discussion.

This is not an original concept, as it is based on What is a Mythological RoundTable? and that of many other round table pioneers. This suggestion is based mainly on the writings and toughts of the Mythological Man of this past century, Joespeh Campbell.

If you are not familiar him, look up Joesph Campbell on Google.com and then Imagine this if you can for a moment...

The man who understood a considerable amount about how myths can and will become eduring legends in time, and he would probably find this particular social networking site a comical adventure in time, and might also find it is a prime breeding ground for people created myths that can and will become ledgends, if people continue with the sense of drama that can and will grow, as people seek out drama, as it is the people of drama that tend most to prepetuate these so called myths into legends in time.

Those so called legends may only be just be legends in their own mind, and perhaps not worthy of anything much more than what they should be remembered for in time. A pile of it stuck to the blanket of life. As crap can and will happen, as if necessary.

Back to the possible BN RoundTables.

Maybe some form of Baja Nomadic RoundTables might be a possible solution, if the majority of BN democratically decide that a local gathering of people united by a desire to further the mission of the well being in their community in a particular way, may , can and eventually will be areas preferred by nomadic peoples that make their way about the Baja California Peninsula.

As said before, I am researching, and I found this on a reference site and more on Myths can be found at:

http://www.jcf.org/roundtables.php?action=what

"Mythology may, in a real sense, be defined as other people's religion. And religion may, in a real sense, be understood as a popular misunderstanding of mythology."
Joseph Campbell, Thou Art That: Transforming Religious Metaphor

http://www.jcf.org/metaphor.php

King Arthur's knights assembled at a roundtable before setting forth on their quests. The image of the RoundTable has much to say about our enterprise. Campbell was fond of quoting the mystic Nicholas of Cusa, who saw the nature of divinity reflected in a circle whose circumference is nowhere and whose center is everywhere. The Foundation is a circle whose center is nowhere and whose circumference is everywhere.

The nature of circles is conducive to genuine community. But a RoundTable (like the Foundation's logo) is not a closed circle. At Arthur's Court, life impinges upon the circle and calls forth the knights to their quests, which takes them away; but the closure of the quest is the Return, drawing each knight back to the table for the telling of the tale.

???"Table," an old French word, is the board at which people gather to eat, to play games, to work, and to place ornamental or ritual objects -- all activities which can take place at a Mythological RoundTable. We come to the RoundTable to be nourished, to play, to plan, to create ritual and make ritual objects, to hear the tales of fellow travelers. Replenished, we go forth to take up our own quests with greater vigor and conviction.

=======
Just a a possibility that may warrant some further discussion, so perhaps some Baja Nomads can contribute their thoughts and ideas on this such subject, by putting there best foot forward thinking caps on to come up with, and then put it into a solid proposal that can and will be proposed to Doug Means, for him to consider.

I have found Doug Means to be a very open and receptive person, and it is because of Doug's passion for the Baja that I am able to even post this message this evening. Thanks Doug for allowing my the opportunity to be able to connect with other Nomads to be able to post.

I am sure Doug will be open to such possibilities, as positive changes can and will be receptive to a positive change type man.

So maybe some people can find some common ground and then come up with a plan to create some special Baja Nomad Related RoundTable forums that might provide everyone with some form of safe thread area to visit and feel like they are participatory and not chastized for their thoughts and ideas in posts?

Just a thought and idea... and I await your many suggestions, as it takes more than one to make a suggestion a reality.

It takes a collaborative effort of common sense suggestions and offering up of possible solutions that may be acceptable to the majority by people that want and maybe need positive changes.

Doug Means is the boss here, and will always the final say on this for me, as I appreciate very much what he has provided for myself to allow me to find my own comfortable zone and feel good when I come here to socially network with other Baja Nomads.

So enough of my babble, and maybe a number of other Baja Nomads can put forth some suggestions in an open to all for suggestions forum, and then such that can be put into a proposal can be presented to Doug for his consideration. ????

I recently spoke with Doug and I find Doug means a very receptive to possibilities businessman and also a huge Baja related supporter of community involvement.

I guess we need only discuss the possibilities first, and then a respresentative can be chosen that can and will put forward the suggestions for Doug means to consider.

I am scortched already, as I already support Doug and this very BN site as a Special Correspondent, and my vote would be put forth to someone else that can best represent the whole group. There are some real nice knowledgeable Nomads on this site that can see beyond their own interests to represent the whole, and I will vote on such when a vote area is put up on this site.

RandyMac

[Edited on 3-30-2005 by RandyMac]

==============================================
Ole' Irish saying (Gaelic): 'Go neirigh an bothar leat, go mbeidh an gaoth choiche sa droim agat, is go mbeidh tu thuas ar neamh leath-uair roimh is eol don diabhal go bhuil tu marbh'.... OR 'May the road rise up to meet you, May the wind always be at your back, and May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead'

RandyMacSC/SO
Special Correspondent

[*] posted on 3-30-2005 at 02:10 AM
The vibration is felt by more than just the one, two or more that...

as it takes more than one individual to vibrate this site, and I myself have found my own self guilty of vibrating this site sometimes, especially when my thoughts and ideas are not so clear to others but myself. I am far from perfect, and I don't need anyone to tell me that. I didn't just fall off the turnip truck yesterday. It was the day before the last time I feel off. :lol::lol::lol:

The goal is "How can this site be made more flexible, and fun and engaging, yet more comfortable for the majority of Baja Nomads that can and will feel that they can participate and enjoy their time here without being bashed around by the few that enjoy such vibrational entertainment to pass their time?

======
Joeseph Campbell said,

"The ultimate goal for the soul is to reach the point where it does not need to put on a body anymore. It is released, to be not anybody, anything--to become one with the light.

What is it that brings the soul back, putting on bodies like a shopper at Macy's trying on scarves? It is desire and fear. You have a desire for life; you have a fear of death. When you absolutely quench desire and fear, those things by which all of us live, then there is no life. That is the ultimate aim of all the yogas."
~Joseph Campbell, Myths of Light: Eastern Metaphors of the Eternal

Your thoughts appreciated. As I have to sleep sometime tonight and I do forget to do so sometimes. Thus my babbling ways sometimes.

Look forward to the discussion process. I'll be paying attention to what gets put forward here.

RandyMac

Ole' Irish saying (Gaelic): 'Go neirigh an bothar leat, go mbeidh an gaoth choiche sa droim agat, is go mbeidh tu thuas ar neamh leath-uair roimh is eol don diabhal go bhuil tu marbh'.... OR 'May the road rise up to meet you, May the wind always be at your back, and May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead'

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2005 at 03:06 AM
Circle of Peaceful Discussion?

I hope. It sounds intriguing to say the least. The idea of having a code of conduct could be the ticket for serious individuals to hold true in the circle. Would these people be required to meet in a three demensional world? Something real time is a way to face your audience and not hide behind some handle or avatar. How about a roundhouse video conference whereas the representative or elected participant would be meeting with others of the same. They would agree to the topic or debate criteria. OR, elegible participants could enter a forum with a certain password or key. That way others could enter the auditorium and could monitor but not debate. Planning a new platform for debate should be a concern for this expanded audience. Many passionate people with strong feelings prevail on the boards. It has a wealth of intellectuals cross-sampled from across the board. It is this resource of information gleened from a thousand thinking minds that keeps neurons pulsing. It is that collection of a thousand minds and the ability to extract on queue collectively, immediately, answers reponses and solutions.

I enjoy this machine of thought when the flow of input is positive. We really can control ourselves and leave hard-arm tactics behind.

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
RandyMacSC/SO
Special Correspondent

[*] posted on 3-30-2005 at 04:17 AM
Well said and bravo bravo bravo...

I will sleep good tonight knowing that at least one BN responded, and for that I am very thankful.

I recently spoke with Doug and he is a real nice intelligent man, and perhaps when people put there best thoughts and ideas forward, some new features of UI can and will be designed and created. I am challenged by such possibilities.

One such UI would be similar to a Texas Holdem Poker site that I helped my wheelchair bound friend Jay log onto recently. He loves to get lost in a good table of thinkers who love Poker, so we found a site, and after I helped him get used to the game play, and I was watching him do what he enjoys, the Game play UI environment gave me some ideas that might be of consideration for this BN site.

Think of the following with multiple levels of view.

More of sitting around a round table for a discussion and virtual enviroment that models what the individual may closely model in real life.

People could choose their most comfortable skin to be in to sit at the table, and based on what you said, it might give people a feeling of sitting around and engaging on wholesome debate instead of feeling that eac person is worlds away and perhaps hiding some hidden agenda.

I am using a Mac so I could not get a screen shot of the Texas Holdem Poker UI but this is along the lines and can be implemented easily enough if people put there best ideas forward. Software is like modeling clay. as anything is possible with the right thought process put forth.

I whipped up this quick visual based on a screen shot I was able to get, and with the best ideas put forward by others, a virtual world end user interface that closely models the real world end user interface might allow for a beach location, a local bar, or Baja type restaurant, or some unique location in Baja that most people would have no problem going to can be made, that models something near that found in areas of Baja California.

This might allow most everyone to feel as though they are closer to being in the same room or location with others and participating in a discussion or healthy engaging debate on a subject, as almost anything can be implemented within the software browser window.

Software coding is the easy part of the process. Coming up with the best most flexible to all Baja Nomads and so usable as a UI input device interface that fits all is the most challenging task.

It can and will work,as Baja Nomad is proof that for the most part the site is already growing, and maybe some people are hungry for a change, and maybe many are real satisfied with the Baja Nomad the way it is now, with maybe some modifications????

I hope this process of engaging discussion continues, as anything is possible with software, and people if they only learn to engage eac oter and not enrage each other.

SharksBaja, your well spoken thoughts and ideas on this are real exciting to me. well said fellow Baja Nomad. Well said.

???? for Baja Nomads:

1. What end user UI features and specific BN related (take the current and make suggestions to improve it) can you envision and what would you like to see implemented? From 1 to 10 with 1 being the top priority.

My hope is that other BNs Please ask more and add them to a question list, as putting minds together in thought to find solutions to certain issues is a good way to come up with workable answers.

Look forward to the engaging and constructive discussion process. Really appreciate your thoughts and ideas.

Bravo Sharksbaja, bravo.

RandyMac:light:

RandyMacSC/SO
Special Correspondent

[*] posted on 3-30-2005 at 04:38 AM
Excellent ideas...

1. The idea of having a code of conduct could be the ticket for serious individuals to hold true in the circle.

2. UI? People could meet in a virtual three dimensional world or some virtual interface that more closely models the real world of people sitting aoroiund a round table to discuss issues.

3. Each user who enters the forum or RoundTable room would be more closely modeling the real world where they would feel and also the others in the room would feel they are in aroom together and facing the whole audience and not hide behind some handle or avatar. Great ideas, as this would make pople feeel more comfortable.

4. The Ui would have a lowest level common UI and on the higher ened, a roundhouse video conference area could be implemented that would allow those with the right hardware etcetera would be able to meet with others of the same.

5. Before entering a forum, the end user BN would have to agree to to the topic or debate criteria, or the agenda of the roundtable for that day.

6. As you have said, elegible participants could enter a forum with a certain password or key. That way others could enter the auditorium and could monitor but not debate. Planning a new platform for debate should be a concern for this expanded audience.

7. Many passionate people with strong feelings prevail on the boards and as you mentioned, the wealth of intellectuals cross-sampled from across the board can and will make this happen if they want to become more engaged in a more real world modeled environment.

As you said, the resource of information gleened from a thousand thinking minds that keeps neurons pulsing and anything that you can dream up in software can be implemented.

Like you, I very much also enjoy this machine of thought when the flow of input is positive. When people remove themselves from the negative flow of energy, the self control can accomplish so many wonderful things if epople encourage each other to come up with solutions to individuals wants and needs to feel more engaged and part of the enviroment.

Time to get a good night sleep.

RandyMac

Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 3-30-2005 at 07:20 AM

Ah, the main man--Joseph Campbell!! The man was a giant. The inspiration and idea of the roundtable is interesting. Could we implement the code of conduct on the existing Nomads site without creating another forum? We're all us of us knights with tales to tell....
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2005 at 07:50 AM

A most interesting concept and idea worth persueing.

:biggrin:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 3-30-2005 at 08:56 AM

I think it was King Arther that Sade to make the table round so there is no head of the table.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

yankeeirishman
Banned

[*] posted on 3-30-2005 at 09:08 AM
www.craigslist.org?

Have you ever used www.craigslist.org? Improper, incorrect, makes no sense ads get;s the following by the users!

partial rules from craigs:

We receive over one million free classified postings each month, such that our small staff would be hard pressed to manually review even 1% of them.

Instead, we're trying hard to enable the community to successfully moderate craigslist.

By using the flagging feature located on the right side of each post, you can take action if you feel a post is miscategorized or for any reason does not belong.

If a post receives too many flags it will automatically be put on hold or returned (only one flag per person per post is counted).

Mmmmmm.....lets us be the editors!

What control freaks there are here. Don\'t believe that post you just read!
RandyMacSC/SO
Special Correspondent

[*] posted on 3-30-2005 at 09:31 AM
My good friend Bonnie turned me on to Craigslist...

Perhaps certain things that work on Craigs list may apply here? Great idea, as perhaps members can borrow from their experiences on other sites to add some more obvious road map signs, and I am sure that Doug has already spelled them out for us, and perhaps we need to ask or request to have them made more obvious so everyone would know that there are certain basic rules of conduct that most all people can and will be respectful of others.

Maybe it is just smply adding a new post area created by someone that states the conduct rules at the very top, and it is added by users at the top of each new page, (this is possible as pages are needed) then rules of conduct are always at the top of the page, as a guideline for Baja Nomads to enter and engage in a healthy discussion.

A BN member self monitored discussion area, so Doug does not have to be a baby sister. I'm sure that most people don't want to be baby sat, however, I am sure there are some on BN that really enjoy just rolling in the mud and getting everyone else dirty if they can do so. Some grew up just causing their baby sitters so much grief and maybe never got out of it? Who knows?

Perhaps there is a socio pathic need for some?

I know I am more than a little off the wall at times, however I do try as hard as I can to be respectful of others and I do not blantly go out of my way to ever try to hurt anyone.

To be sensitive to others, but not so sensitive that it becomes anal pnasy wanzy stuff. Of how my brother said that some of my stories can be so gut wrenching, so I will try not to be so painful to some.

Good ideas. We can have a senseible discussion area, as so far it is sensible.

Doug has created an excellent site, and perhaps we just need to ask for some modifications? More imput from others is a good way to build on this, and take it to other areas.

Have to go now. My friend Sheila is getting some new computer input devices today at a computer dealer 20 miles away and it is a real big day for her, her father and myself as the smiles will be huge all around. I am going with her 84 year young father and my neighbor and it is exciting.

Look forward to checking back later this evening.

Have a good day.

RandyMac

RandyMacSC/SO
Special Correspondent

[*] posted on 3-30-2005 at 09:54 AM
IMAGINE FOR A MOMEMENT this...

You came onto Baja Nomad one day and found out that the creator decided it was time to not baby sit anymore... and it was time to turn it all off.

This is always a possibility, and I do not want to imply that Doug is considering this, cause I know nothing of this being said or implied, but just maybe one day someone might do something.... that causes such a stir that... you get the picture...

How would you feel and how would you react if you found out that Baja Nomad was going to shut down? Maybe a little Campbell esque might just get certain people thinking???

Maybe it is time to take away the baby bottle or baby soother from some on this board, and maybe it could be me, and would I do? Time to grow up and be respectful of others my father and mother would say, and so I make the effort every day.

Maybe some just don't care at all?

RandyMac

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2005 at 10:07 AM

You're talking about homogenizing, compromising, censoring, modulating - NO! Doug has rules, it's his board, it's his job to babysit it. Your first post was very unspecific in its message, i.e., what SPECIFICALLY do you deem the need, objective or goal? This is a forum with specific subjects already delineated. People are individual human beings; that individuality contributes to a varied discussion. Some teach, some learn, some take a hit now and then. That's life.
Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 3-30-2005 at 12:04 PM
I'm afraid I'm a KISS person...

Keep It Simple Stupid...

Sure some 'Baja' subjects go off on tangents...But, as has been said MANY times before - if you don't like that stuff, go on to another post subject that you ARE interested in...the off-subject bantering back-and-forth gets boring in a hurry, and I just avoid it and move on. I guess that's where individual compliance comes into play...

The 'Texas Holdem' round-table is intriguing...However, it's really nothing more than another way to structure a 'chat' session, in my eyes, that is. Could have possibilities with the 'chat' format in mind. If you ever go to one of the game sites (IE, Pogo, etc) they facilitate a 'chat' portion of the screen for the players to banter while involved with the game - which can be the source of extra fun - but sometimes becomes a 'clique' with frequent players, and actually tends to exclude others...not a good idea. I can see where the 'Round Table' concept may be intimidating to some 'lesser Baja' types, and become only a show place for self-proclaimed, 'Baja Experts'...if I'm reading the suggestion correctly...maybe not.

New and different things can be great at times, and improvements tend to be woven into the fabric of our lives all the time...I guess I'm just happy to have what Doug has put together here - to read of other's Baja adventures; to glean information about Baja's many attractions and pit falls; and to say 'howdy' to fellow Baja aficionados from time-to-time...What more could another 'Baja Nut' really want!

If it ain't really broken, lets don't try to 'fix' it!

According to my clock...anytime is \'BAJA TIME\' & as Jimmy Buffett says,
\"It doesn\'t use numbers or moving hands It always just says now...\"
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2005 at 01:07 PM
Hey, maybe the gun-slingin belongs elsewhere

Sure we have a choice here...
We can wait it out or just wait until it happens again.

RandyMac is trying to come up with an idea or plan to help save the Nomad board from high attrition and self destruction. I personally find the back and forth banter that eminates from few but affects many quite offensive sometimes..
I now find myself writing crap like this so that maybe it would make room for a Baja related post. I don't like typing in the first place. Why should I have to look for threads/posts that dont include the purveyors of WMDs. Debate is one thing. Chasing down your on-line rivals thread by thread is quite another. It isn't up to us to control the mob. It's up to us to educate the mob. When it is said to move to another post why should we fall prey to heavy-handed wit and move aside. I won't but it seems here I am typing about crap again.

Actually, my take on all this is quite simple....

--some posters should just grow the freak up and quit taking everything in on such a personal level--

I side w/RandyMac and call for change or at least, an option.

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 3-30-2005 at 09:35 PM

I think there is a certain voyeuristic/exhibitionist dynamic with people who engage in these arguments(and I'm not completely unguilty myself). That is, if there were no audience, the arguments would end a lot sooner because the arguers like the discussion played out for all to see. Maybe the arguers should be given a private venue to air out their differences--put them at the roundtable, as it were.

rogerj1
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2005 at 11:14 PM
Wikicities-baja

Has anyone spend any time at Wikipedia? It's a self correcting encyclopedia updated by it's members. There's a new feature called Wikicities that allows users to create a place to post information on a certain topic. I don't think anyone's claimed Baja yet. Check it out.
yankeeirishman
Banned

[*] posted on 3-31-2005 at 11:34 AM
Ringside

This flagging works well at www.craigslist.org. It has been (the flag system) around for a very long time. There are other sites that have taken hold of this software.
Now? to add to the above statement. This forum should have a "Boxing ring" listing. Any hell fire fighting going on (not disagreements) then flag the post to the ring side! That is not editing, controlling writing freedoms, or playing Gods. Just move the stuff.
I know that any of my postings would never end up there :-)

Quote:
Originally posted by grover
Quote:
Originally posted by yankeeirishman...the flagging feature...
If a post receives too many flags it will automatically be put on hold or returned (only one flag per person per post is counted).

Mmmmmm.....lets us be the editors!
I think that's a FANTASTIC idea, yankeeirishman.

The first thought that occurs to me is that a few, ahem, less-than-honorable types would cheat.

But that's where software smarts come in, right?

If every poster could only flag once, with a "nulled" threshold set by trial-and-error, I bet the real antagonistic stuff would stop pretty quick.

Once they go invisible. I wonder how hard that would be to cook up?
:lol:

[Edited on 3-31-2005 by yankeeirishman]

What control freaks there are here. Don\'t believe that post you just read!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.