Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Road trip Part II: Pescadero N. to Calexico East crossing
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2021 at 12:07 PM
Road trip Part II: Pescadero N. to Calexico East crossing

In the few trips I drove in the past 2 weeks, on Hgwy 19 between Todos Santos and Pescadero, I saw the white Guardia's regularly. N. side of Pescadero, down from Felipe's, watching traffic going S. Or else on the highway.

Lucked out on one-way traffic West of La Paz due to construction so no wait. Cruized through Cuidad no problem.

On 2 occasions, off the Loreto malecon, I had conversations with 2 different locals. One a gringa the other a MX woman. When asked about how Loreto was doing they both said things were going to be OK but tourists were arriving which could be a problem. I was surprised at the large number of gringoes walking around maskless. Almost all MX I saw wore masks.

Over the course of weeks, and 2 visits, the police told me to mask up (end of malecon, no one around, drying off my wet dog), and while on the beach, told me the beach was closed. It looked like it was open to walkers, but not to someone throwing a frisbee and playing in the water.

Checkpoint N. of Loreto asked couple questions and waved me on. S.I. Marinas were distracted by my Lab in the backseat with her head out the window. They laughed and asked if they could have her, and I laughed, then waved through. N. of GN, a Marina asked me to open the hatch of my SUV, and he poked a box and said OK. Cursory and short. Same questions from checkpoints S. of San Felipe and N. of town, and a wave through.

Crossed N. last Sunday, Calexico East, 8:30am, 5 min. wait. Between map from Discover Baja https://www.discoverbaja.com/go/driving-directions/mexicali-... and Google Earth, finding the crossing was very easy. Discover Baja map gave different directions (using the Calzada Cetys turnoff) than the one I used which was an Apple map using Apple CarPlay. This map also used Calzada Morin but stayed on it North where it dead ends at the border wall, then E. on Argentina to the border crossing.

This was my first drive going and coming on Hgwy 5 and it was great. Beautiful with almost no traffic.

Stayed at the Sandollar S. of San Felipe both times, and it was great to have my Lab off leash and in the water.

Going S., I crossed at Calexico West on a Sunday about 8am, no wait. I had staged in El Centro overnight at the Fairfield Inn which had a top floor booked with National Guard. Someone said they were working at the border.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
bajafreaks
Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days !!!

[*] posted on 3-1-2021 at 05:19 PM

So going north do you prefer the west or east crossing ?

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2021 at 07:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajafreaks  
So going north do you prefer the west or east crossing ?

Going N, I'll always take East crossing early Sunday. Going S., West crossing early Sunday.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

F*ck it.
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2021 at 02:46 PM

I know you mentioned that your trip was more business than pleasure, but I'm still jealous. We're in the middle of an early March cold snap that has me really missing our cancelled Pescadero getaway.

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
JZ
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 3-2-2021 at 03:14 PM

Sounds fun. Where are the pics?

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2021 at 02:09 PM

You would like Loreto, Paul. Very different from Pesky. Wife likes it better, I say there are no waves. 70-75 most days, ate Pargo, parrot fish, and yellow fin tuna. Still, felt like a pandemic was going on.

F*ck it.
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2021 at 07:40 PM

Loreto is definitely on our bucket list, especially now that there are some direct flights from the U.S. On the other hand, it would sure be nice to drive down and to bring our dog some day.

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.