Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Reliable internet service
tmtuttle
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2021 at 01:50 PM
Reliable internet service

Sorry, I'm more questions than answers but maybe once we get settled in Baja I'll be able to pay it forward with my knowledge.

With that said, things are progressing faster than we thought for our impending move to Baja. What was a 5 to 9 year time frame, has moved to possibly selling our place summer of 2021 and making the move.

My wife will continue to work and needs a reliable internet source. Are there any of you out there who are working remotely from Baja? We've done some research on hot spots but we're not clear if we should buy here in the states or buy in Mexico. She'll need something with enough bandwidth/speed for video conferencing and such. Security is also an issue.

We'll be in the Pescadero/Todos Santos area, Gavilan Heights to be exact.

Any info is much appreciated.

Tim
HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2021 at 02:44 PM

Try this group for that area - https://web.facebook.com/groups/TheBajaWesternOnion

We find that Telcel Amigo plan works great for speed if you can't get Telmex landline here in Mulege. We also have a Telcel Internet su casa plan that is data capped and limited to 10mb.

RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 2-28-2021 at 03:47 PM

The Todos Santos and Cerritos areas have good low latency point to point internet service. (They put a small dish on your house) The downside of this is you have a Mexican IP address which is problematic for some things. That said it can be worked around if you understand the internet.
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2021 at 05:28 PM

We've been using Baja Connect for 12 years. It's been super reliable with steady improvements and few issues in that time. We have their basic service which is fast enough for anything I do, but they do offer higher speeds for more money if needed. Our neighbors have a Telcel internet service and complain about it constantly.

http://www.baja-connect.com

"The future ain't what it used to be"
tmtuttle
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2021 at 08:18 PM

Thanks for the input.
rogbag
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2021 at 08:37 AM

We currently have Telcel internet because Telmex in Los Barriles is full up. We could not get a phone/internet line. Telcel that we have had for the last year+ has worked flawlessly. I have 2 Telcel modems, use Strong VPN and have had no problems. My wife has her own modem in the main house and streams Netflix and Youtube all day and she runs out of data at the end of the month, so her rate will buffer some, but it still works. I can Zoom every week while conversing with my sister in the states and have no problems. The Telcel is 10 pesos per month more than Telmex, but since Telmex is not available, I have no choice. Telmex used to be 389 pesos per month and Telcel is now 399 pesos per modem per month for our plan. And if you decide to move or go on vacation for a bit you can take the modem with you and plug it in and have internet as long as you have a cell tower in range.
RocketJSquirrel
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2021 at 10:35 AM

rogbag wrote: "...you can take the modem with you and plug it in and have internet as long as you have a cell tower in range."

Wow! I didn't know you could do that. So the modem is just working like interneting on your phone? VERY cool!
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2021 at 07:50 AM

we have baja connect in the todos/pesky area...works great.
i have a pal who does some rather sporty day trading and needs lighting fast internet. he uses some specialized service from baja connect to keep the revenue stream in high gear.

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2021 at 08:07 AM

I got notice that Starlink will be available in Bahia Asuncion later this year. I paid the deposit and am on the waitlist. This could moves things up for us as well.

Don Pisto
Super Nomad

Mood: weary like everyone else

[*] posted on 5-29-2021 at 10:53 AM

if you want to see the chain of satellites here's a pretty cool site that'll give you the best times in your neighborhood :D

https://findstarlink.com/#957;3

there's only two things in life but I forget what they are........
John Hiatt
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2021 at 11:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  
I got notice that Starlink will be available in Bahia Asuncion later this year. I paid the deposit and am on the waitlist. This could moves things up for us as well.

Wow. That's great news.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2021 at 12:31 PM

I enjoy having to drive 15 miles to get an Internet connection during the 7 months we spend in Baja. That way I don't waste my time on message boards like this one, Facebook, and Youtube. I've discovered connecting for an hour a week meets all my Internet needs like email, paying bills, and downloading ebooks.

Starlink in baja? You can have it.

[Edited on 5-29-2021 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2021 at 06:35 AM

Quote: Originally posted by monoloco  
We've been using Baja Connect for 12 years. It's been super reliable with steady improvements and few issues in that time. We have their basic service which is fast enough for anything I do, but they do offer higher speeds for more money if needed. Our neighbors have a Telcel internet service and complain about it constantly.

http://www.baja-connect.com

i just was chatting with lee, the owner of baja connect yesterday. i have been a customer sine he started the business. a friend of mine in the area day trades, he needs super fast, secure internet. he has some custom service with baja connect and is very pleased with the service.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2021 at 06:37 AM

where is gavilán heights? I've been in the area quite a while...never heard of it?
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

Mood: My friends..it's good.

[*] posted on 5-30-2021 at 07:20 AM

Bajaconnect with Lee works great. I have the home plus plan and do video conferencing all day. My son has no gaming issues and Lynn also has no issues chatting with friends. We all use it at the same time. I do have a port 80 and 443 blocking issue. It's not them blocking it but since they are a last mile provider they have no control over it. Lee is trying to buy more private IP's but none are available at the moment. I am about to get an ASUS WiFi 6 Router (RT-AX3000) that is very easily configurable to work with NORD VPN. the tunnel comes up in the USA. Hopefully it solves my Arlo camera issue.

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2021 at 09:17 PM

BB,

Proxying your ip address correctly will make you appear to be in the US. I seem to be in Arizona along with 5 or so thousand other users in a town of 600 or so people!
RFClark
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2021 at 05:08 PM

We just returned from Todos Santos via HWY 5. The military checkpoint north of Gonzaga has point to point internet courtesy of Rodriguez Communication!

This probably means that everyone in the area including Coco can now have point to point internet!

To paraphrase a very “non-PC or woke” rabbit, “who’d have thunk it Doc?”
elskel
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2021 at 10:18 AM

Myself at my house in the Huerta and my brother in the Gavilan
neighborhood both have Baja Connect. Works great. They have been around a long time. One of the main antena's is at the top of the hill above the Gavilan neighborhood.
bk
elskel
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2021 at 10:20 AM

Gavilan is at the South end of the Huerta.
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2021 at 12:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
we have baja connect in the todos/pesky area...works great.
i have a pal who does some rather sporty day trading and needs lighting fast internet. he uses some specialized service from baja connect to keep the revenue stream in high gear.

Thanks Bob: I mistakenly started a new thread on this issue before I located this one. As we will be living about 50 miles north of Todos Santos, do you think it is possible Baja Connect could provide us with similar service there?
Also, cell reception is very weak in that area, is there a way of using the internet to get texts relayed from a Canadian cell phone to confirm connects with financial institutions?

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.