Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Pompano's proposal & the RandyMac solution
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 3-30-2005 at 06:40 PM
Pompano's proposal & the RandyMac solution

Hi guys,

I have respect and affection for you (in the internet cyberspace way I know you)
and I enjpy and value all your posts.

(BTW, Pompano, I have cut and pasted some of your pictures and sent them out all over the world. You may be singlehandedly responsible for a surge in Japanese and Australian tourism to Baja; some of them looking for those plus-sized girls in bikinis.)

I don't agree that arguments on this board should be shunted away and regulated on some *roundtable* forum.

We all come to this board equal...i.e., we have computer access and register and agree to abide by the rules of the board.

After that, it just like the Roman Senate. A member (please, don't chastise me with history about how women and slaves weren't allowed, I'm trying to make a point here) stands up, makes his case and the Senate takes up the debate and it goes from there. Debates can become noisy and raucous and degenerate into personal insults, so if the trend is annoying you go read another thread or sign off. It all blows over and moves to another subject, maybe a fascinating new story and/or a revelatory one about Baja places/people after a bit.

David K and Jr seem to be particular lightening rods for this contention. They also seem to be quite able to answer attacks in a reasoned and responsible manner, and, in the many years that I have been reading their posts, I can't think of any instance when they initiated or responded with a personal attack on an individual poster (and I am aware of a post in the last few days when the poster took offense to David K's contribution, David aplogized and explained that the poster had misunderstood his humorous comment, but offered to remove it immediately if it was still offensive. That's taking responsibility for yourself, folks.)

IMHO, it's the rabid attack posters (who, BTW, never contribute any positive info) who cause all this angst about changing the nature of the board.

IMHO, they all eventually wear themselves out.

As the great philosopher (Groucho Marx??) once said, "Never get into a battle of wits with an unarmed man."

I like an open forum. It provides all the great events of life...discovery, surprise, new ideas and thoughts, happiness, sadness, anger and boredom and all the other parts of our journey into Baja and life.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2005 at 06:44 PM

I agree.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 3-30-2005 at 07:58 PM

I also agree I think the rules and enforcement on this forum are adequate and need vary little playing with. this is a place that is vary much like a newspaper . you can git up in the morning and with coffee in hand read the morning news. then if you chose you can turn to the comics and editorials which I always do. and also you can post a reply or a new thread .

it is all by choice . I think there are probably people who never chose to reed my posts . if you don't like Bruce R Leech then don't click on my posts. or if you disagree with me then you can ether politely let me know, or you can call me a asdljdkfjlj and do what ever.

when I post a thread I want all the input not just the ones that agree with me. and I think David K and Jr. and most of the others that post here will agree. if not they can call me a fdjjdjdsfj or something.

I'm afraid that if this forum was to censer posts to the degree that some say they would like I would not enjoy it anymore:no:

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-30-2005 at 08:03 PM

Read my reply on Pompano's Time for a Change of Sites thread, which this seems to be a splinter thread from.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.